• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers benefitting from 20/20 Cricket

What affect will T20 Cricket have on bowling standards around the world?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Illterate in cricketing terms...

You've heard the term "cricket illiteracy" before now... no?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
General illiteracy doesn't have to result in cricket illiteracy, though.

Nor the other way around, for that matter.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think Twenty20 will have a big effect. Players playing any cricket will get better and that goes for whatever of the main three formats is played. You will see more variations from batsman and bowler. The lap shot over fine leg or that sweep shot Loye plays is the sort of thing you'll see more of (I'm not saying either shot are a direct consequence of Twenty20). Players will obviously get better at death over cricket (except if they're English) and I think you'll see an even greater ability by teams to accelerate the scoring as well as being a bit more exposed if a pitch offers a lot to bowlers or is difficult to time shots on. So in ODIs you'll see more 350+ scores on roads and probably more sub 200 scores on tricky pitches. Wickets will become more important because players will be able to convert wickets remaining in to fast runs more effectively.

Other than this we'll probably see more spinners and more really express bowlers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How on Earth anyone can seriously claim that Twenty20 has yet had an effect on anything in international cricket baffles me. Most countries have only been playing it for a year or two. Even England have had just 4 seasons of it. The main internationals of the past few years have hardly played any.

Regardless of the effect Twenty20 may or may not have in the future, to suggest it is currently impacting is illiterate on the game of cricket.

Depends what you mean by an effect, really. I'd say it has directly affected our ODI selection already; Messers Nixon & Yardy wouldn't have got a go without it, certainly.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
How on Earth anyone can seriously claim that Twenty20 has yet had an effect on anything in international cricket baffles me. Most countries have only been playing it for a year or two. Even England have had just 4 seasons of it. The main internationals of the past few years have hardly played any.

Regardless of the effect Twenty20 may or may not have in the future, to suggest it is currently impacting is illiterate on the game of cricket.
I don't think anyone is making that claim. Pretty much every opinion offered in this thread has been in the future tense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In case you haven't noticed the thread was titled "bowlers benefitting from Twenty20". That use is in the current-tense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends what you mean by an effect, really.
I meant an effect on the way the players play the other games.
I'd say it has directly affected our ODI selection already; Messers Nixon & Yardy wouldn't have got a go without it, certainly.
No doubting that (well, I'm not totally sure about Nixon, has always been regarded as a shrewd one-day "finisher", albeit without the not-outs to prove it), but mixing-up different game-forms has long been a problem in English selection.

Dick Rockett

In case you haven't noticed the thread was titled "bowlers benefitting from Twenty20". That use is in the current-tense.
8-) Aside from the fact that the thread title is a truncated sentence and reasonably meaningless without the reader embellishing it, it really is deemed irrelevant by the actual content of the posts in the thread, which are almost exclusively in the future tense.

Ffs, do you have to criticise every little thing?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
8-) Aside from the fact that the thread title is a truncated sentence and reasonably meaningless without the reader embellishing it, it really is deemed irrelevant by the actual content of the posts in the thread, which are almost exclusively in the future tense.

Ffs, do you have to criticise every little thing?
Nope, and maybe if you didn't have such a pre-prejudiced attitude you might realise I don't.

Also, you might want to remember the basic "silence is assent" rule that I mostly adhere to - in that a post which is simply "I agree" is about the most boring thing in history.

Did I, incidentally, criticise one single post in the thread? If I had, you might have noticed me quoting from it.

It is you who are flailing around with the generalisations in this case.

Dick Rockett

Did I, incidentally, criticise one single post in the thread? If I had, you might have noticed me quoting from it.
Oh jeez, weasel words. So what if you didn't criticise a specific post? If you read through your initial post (which I've conveniently included for your perusal), you'll note that it was generally critical of anyone who has a particular opinion, which is bizarre because no-one here even expressed that opinion in the first place.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly - which might just suggest to you that I was being critical of precisely no-one who had so far posted in this thread.

Dick Rockett

Well then what the hell was the point of the post?

Just admit it, you were ranting in response to the title without bothering to get an idea about what anyone actually thought about the subject at hand. You're so desperate to force your 'superior' knowledge upon us that what we think doesn't matter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bull****.

I was pointing-out a fact - whether I was pre-empting or replying is clearly irrelevant from where you're coming from.

And the fact is, I was pre-empting - I didn't have anything to say in response to what'd already been said, so I didn't reply to anything that had already been said.

Dick Rockett

I was pointing-out a fact - whether I was pre-empting or replying is clearly irrelevant from where you're coming from.

And the fact is, I was pre-empting - I didn't have anything to say in response to what'd already been said, so I didn't reply to anything that had already been said.
8-) Pre-empting? Give me a break. Why get so excited over a point of view that hasn't even been brought up?

Now we are to believe that every time you do something that is apparent to everyone else as making a mistake, you were either pre-empting, or simply hadn't bothered to make the point as in this example?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
8-) Pre-empting? Give me a break. Why get so excited over a point of view that hasn't even been brought up?
Err - it had been brought-up - in the title.
Now we are to believe that every time you do something that is apparent to everyone else as making a mistake, you were either pre-empting, or simply hadn't bothered to make the point as in this example?
You have been the only one recently who has seeked to pick as many non-existent holes as you can possibly find. It does get rather tiring, but as I said - I'm not the sort to give-up the ghost.

I made no mistake in making a general point reference to the title and not to any individual reply, and you'd do well to get that through your apparently-rather-thick skull.