• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Jacques Kallis so disliked?

Laurrz

International Debutant
Mohammad Yousuf doesnt seem to like him too... does anyone know why?? I saw em both having a talk to each other several times

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Mohammad Yousuf doesnt seem to like him too... does anyone know why?? I saw em both having a talk to each other several times
Presumably this is why...

From Cricinfo.com

Mohammad Yousuf had just airily announced his entrance, Jacques Kallis was busy muscling around when both met at the non-striker's end and words were exchanged. What could they have said? Kallis began it: "Flat track bully and nothing else mate."
"Yousuf responded "and if you think you're a Test bowler, then I'm Malcolm Marshall
."

Decent bit of banter and a nice retort by Yousuf but if Kallis isn’t a test match bowler you really don’t want to be gated by the likes of Andrew Hall (marvellous delivery however).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Presumably this is why...

From Cricinfo.com

Mohammad Yousuf had just airily announced his entrance, Jacques Kallis was busy muscling around when both met at the non-striker's end and words were exchanged. What could they have said? Kallis began it: "Flat track bully and nothing else mate."
"Yousuf responded "and if you think you're a Test bowler, then I'm Malcolm Marshall
."

Decent bit of banter and a nice retort by Yousuf but if Kallis isn’t a test match bowler you really don’t want to be gated by the likes of Andrew Hall (marvellous delivery however).
You're aware the the writer was just imagining what might have been said, right? There's no actual suggestion that that was said other than the imagination of the author.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mohammad Yousuf not liking somone...

Blimey, never heard that one before... seems like the most benign guy in The World to me... (Kallis too, for that matter)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably because when SA need him to score quickly in Tests (Centurion 2005, Sydney 2006 the best two examples)
They're the only two examples, and both are absolute nonsense.

Kallis could've scored as quickly as he liked at Centurion, SA had no chance whatsoever of forcing a victory, there weren't enough overs left.

As for The SCG... you'd be able to score quickly when you can barely even lift your bat, your elbow's hurting that much, would you?

No, you wouldn't.

Kallis' injury by that match was so bad that he was never, ever going to be able to do a thing in terms of hitting the ball. He tried, of course, but hit the fielders often. He couldn't get a decent swing because his elbow wasn't in a sufficient state, that much was obvious by the fact he winced in pain every time he played a single stroke in that second-innings.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
It's probably been said already but Kallis appears to be a selfish cricketer on the field, and he comes across as having a major superiority complex. Essentially he seems like a major jerk.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with Goughy's post on the first page. He just has that 'look.'

Plenty of sportsmen have a look that makes you want to hit them (Nolberto Solano anyone?), when in all reality they may be fine blokes.

I also think the whole story about how he is a selfish player is just a myth that everybody goes along with because it seems the norm. Shame really, he's a fine cricketer.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's probably been said already but Kallis appears to be a selfish cricketer on the field, and he comes across as having a major superiority complex. Essentially he seems like a major jerk.
Did you not read the post directly above yours, if none others?

Steulen

International Regular
A "major jerk"? Pffff...

He reminds me of my boss who is very sympathetic, friendly and an all-round Nice Guy...until he's confronted by mediocrity...he goes absolutely berzerk.

Same as Kallis and the Zimbo's, really.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I rate him very highly as a player.

The area I dont like him in is purely irrational but never-the-less I cant get out of my head.

He has that look about him that screams he should be in a uniform with a sjambok beating down on someone. He just looks like a nasty bastard to me.

As I said, completely unjustified and irrational but I cant get that vision of him out of my head. Obviously its not true, so Im not judging or accusing him.

Its just everytime I see him, the vision of a nasty apharteid era policeman jumps into my mind. :wacko:
This post made me think of this song for some reason. Slanders a whole nation, but is still funny: Link.

Apologies to all saffies in advance. :D

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This post made me think of this song for some reason. Slanders a whole nation, but is still funny: Link.

Apologies to all saffies in advance. :D
I knew exactly what that would be before I pressed the link.

I actually played it in the dressing room during my 1st game here in SA.

Near all Afrikaaner teammates and I thought they would find it funny. It appeared that they didnt.

I honestly had to explain to them that South Africans were not the most popular people in the world during the 80's. They couldnt understand why as it was government policies rather than individuals.

Fair to say the exercise in cross-cultural comedy was a failure :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I knew exactly what that would be before I pressed the link.

I actually played it in the dressing room during my 1st game here in SA.

Near all Afrikaaner teammates and I thought they would find it funny. It appeared that they didnt.

I honestly had to explain to them that South Africans were not the most popular people in the world during the 80's. They couldnt understand why as it was government policies rather than individuals.

Fair to say the exercise in cross-cultural comedy was a failure :D
Your first game in SA wasn't in 1988 or something, was it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought it predated 1988. I picked that year because it was in the dying days of Apartheid.

FFR?