• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA bans the Mexican wave

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I used to get right into it a few years ago, usually chucking up bits of paper (I wasn't stupid enough to throw cans in the air), but I was at a rugby test a couple of years ago when one started up and I pretty much stood there shaking my head at how sad it was. Considering it was one of the best All Blacks-Springbok tests in years, I couldn't really see why people were getting the wave going.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I fuggin' hate Mexican waves. I don't want to sound too much of the old fart, but personally I go to any ground to watch the sport, which usually isn't cheap. Stand up in your own time, morons.

Bring back terraces, IMHO. Can't stand a wave when everyone's already standing.
Agreed. Hate 'em as well. Utterly pointless and I have no idea how they carry any entertainment value.

howardj

International Coach
Who cares!

The Mexican Wave is so lame.

I have no idea how people get any enjoyment out of them.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
You enjoy the thought of people being struck by flying heavy objects?
No, but I think the dangers of the Mexican Wave described in here are bordering on hyperbole. Besides, as just about anyone except those in power knows, banning something only encourages people to endulge in that behaviour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know that, and I said as much, but do you really think nice polite "please don't throw heavy objects, they might hit someone and really hurt them" requests would be remotely likely to work, either?

I've read enough to suggest there's no hyperbole being used to describe said dangers. It's not a problem here in Britain, it's just a good excuse to throw a load of rubbish about without being penalised for it, but clearly it is in Australia. C_C already posted thinking the dangers were being over-stated, and then stated he had come to realise what was actually happening.

Dick Rockett

I know that, and I said as much, but do you really think nice polite "please don't throw heavy objects, they might hit someone and really hurt them" requests would be remotely likely to work, either?
I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's the sort of approach that tends to work best. The problem is that changing people's attitudes - in this case to not be boorish and consider other people - takes time. The powers that be always have to look as if they're doing something, whether it works or not. IMO, banning the Mexican Wave is like a red rag to a bull, and last night's game showed that people aren't listening.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The boorish types will always be the boorish types.

The only way out is to get rid of them - and about the only way to do that is to get an excuse to - ie "you've broken the rules, consider yourself never allowed into a cricket-ground again".

Seriously - it's no loss to Australian cricket to lose the "fans" who only go to the game to get pissed, be a bit of a **** and probably get into a fight afterwards. Same as the English hooligans who've haunted most Euro trips of the past 10 years...

Dick Rockett

Seriously - it's no loss to Australian cricket to lose the "fans" who only go to the game to get pissed, be a bit of a **** and probably get into a fight afterwards. Same as the English hooligans who've haunted most Euro trips of the past 10 years...
Unfortunately that seems to be a fairly huge chunk of their supporters.

It's odd - we have the same type of people coming to games here, but I can't recall there ever having been a furore over full bottles or cups of urine being thrown about. Pieces of paper, definitely, but that dosn't bother me.

Dasa

No, but I think the dangers of the Mexican Wave described in here are bordering on hyperbole. Besides, as just about anyone except those in power knows, banning something only encourages people to endulge in that behaviour.
Hyperbole? When you're in the middle of it you won't think it's hyperbole.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unfortunately that seems to be a fairly huge chunk of their supporters.

It's odd - we have the same type of people coming to games here, but I can't recall there ever having been a furore over full bottles or cups of urine being thrown about. Pieces of paper, definitely, but that dosn't bother me.
As I say - same here. Maybe it's an Australia thing - like in Britain the same thing applies to dickheads who decide to travel to the continent in huge groups pretending to be following the football and merely desiring to cause mass-rioting.

We can't dismiss it as hyperbole IMO. What we've heard about in this thread is far, FAR worse than anything that appears to happen in our own countries.

Dick Rockett

What we've heard about in this thread is far, FAR worse than anything that appears to happen in our own countries.
True. I just feel that even though a fair few people here might have been hit by an offensive object at a game, that it's probably not as common as they're making out.

As far as solutions go - here we're moving towards segregated areas, ie. those that want to go just to goof off, can buy a ticket at one end of the ground, those who more or less want to watch the game sit at the other. Works quite well.