• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I think most ppl do understand that Afridi isn't suitable as an opener (even Afridi himself wants to bat at 6 slot outside subcontinent) however the problem with Pakistan is that they don't have much choices.
Look when u know that position is a failed policy then WHY WHY try it again???? If they dont have any choice then they need to think of alternative methods, ur move is nothing different then playing imran nazir at the top....it just doesnt make sense. According to my batting order they should put younis as an opener, he is used to coming in playing a brand new ball almost 95% of the times, so that move will be anything but risky......that would only mean our top three players are playing at the top most position and controlling the match where they always struggled and lost, and then u can have Malik, Akmal and the big hitter at the bottom, even if they get out then it wouldnt create any unnecessary pressure for the team.

Swervy

International Captain
Not necessarily if one of them had gone on. When they came together Pakistan were in a big hole & they put on over 50. When they went in relatively quick succession (with Akmal getting a golden blob too) it made their innings look worse than they actually were.

Pakistan's real issues are at the top of the order for me.
yeah, Inzy and Yousuf had to be careful (although I wasnt overly impressed with Inzy at the start of his innings, but he got better).

Credit though has to go to the West Indian bowlers, an outstanding job I thought. Taylor was top notch, and Powell looked very very useful. Colleymore was deadly accurate (apart from his first ball wide) and D.Smith really did his job (as did Bravo). it was about as well disciplined a bowling performance as I have seen from ANYONE for quite a while.

The West Indian fielding was class as well (can only recall one error, by Lara). Overall they looked leagues ahead of Pakistan

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Yeh i think that GodofCricket is putting across a valid point in that Younis Khan should open with all the other batters moving up a spot.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4 extras in the innings IIRC. That's unheard for the West Indies on most days.
Mate,

How's it going over there? Everyone fired up?

There's an unconfirmed report doing hte rounds over here that Inzi ran a quick single in the game vs West Indies.

Can this amazing story be true?

This WC is going to kill us here in Australia - games starting 12.30 am Sydney time and finishing around 9.00 am - merciless. National productivity will fall by about 80% I think. Mine has fallen by 100%

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I think u mis-understood my post.....i didnt mean our batsman at the opening position are like any other batsman....i rate Inzamam, yousuf and younis very very highly.....what i did mean was, that our team as a whole depends alot on our openers to deliver as it releases huge amount of pressure from them, IF our openers dont deliver (normal) then it creates a situation for our batsman in which its hard for them to deliver.

I see now what you mean, but i think most team would struggle if their openers do as badly as Pakistan openers do.Its not asking for too much for openers to atleast give a 35-40 run opening start, is it?

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Look when u know that position is a failed policy then WHY WHY try it again???? If they dont have any choice then they need to think of alternative methods, ur move is nothing different then playing imran nazir at the top....it just doesnt make sense. According to my batting order they should put younis as an opener, he is used to coming in playing a brand new ball almost 95% of the times, so that move will be anything but risky......that would only mean our top three players are playing at the top most position and controlling the match where they always struggled and lost, and then u can have Malik, Akmal and the big hitter at the bottom, even if they get out then it wouldnt create any unnecessary pressure for the team.

Alright, agreed. Younis is probably better equiped to give Pak a better start, and since he's fighter then he might actually do reasonablly well.

Just read Imran's column, he wants Younis to open with Hafeez.

Steulen

International Regular
Today is the day...come on Porterfield, Morgan, O'Brien, Johnston, Langford-Smith and all you other potatoes, homegrown or not. Up the Irish!

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I see now what you mean, but i think most team would struggle if their openers do as badly as Pakistan openers do.Its not asking for too much for openers to atleast give a 35-40 run opening start, is it?
Yes but not in the way as with pakistan currently, pakistan are known to almost crumble everytime under pressure or some might say always........the reason you just put in your post is EXACTLY the reason i want Inzamam to come one down.....had pakistan openers been reliable then i wouldnt really push him to bat where he is currently doing......but its a different story at the moment.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good start by Zim, got rid of the danger man Eion Morgan. Could have done with the LBW on Bray but one more wicket and that may well be curtains for the Irish.