• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

Lostman

State Captain
Malinga might miss the NZ vs. SL game due to an ankle trouble nothing serious it seems just a precautionary step. Saw it in some parts of the SL media, nothing yet on cricinfo though.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like Malinga is out till the Semifinals at least , that is if SL make it.

England have a very good chance to Pip SL at the post and get ahead if they beat West Indies, Bang and SA handsomely as do Bangladesh.

I hope SL pick Maharoof to replace Malinga and not Kulasekera.

el grapadura

Cricket Spectator
I wonder if the SL selectors will take a punt and pick Bandara over Maharoof ?
I don't think they need to, unless the pitch is really low and slow. I think it can't hurt having another seem option in addition to Vaas and Fernando, and with Murali, Sanath, Dilshan and even Silva SL is pretty strong in the spin department...

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
I don't think they need to, unless the pitch is really low and slow. I think it can't hurt having another seem option in addition to Vaas and Fernando, and with Murali, Sanath, Dilshan and even Silva SL is pretty strong in the spin department...
I agree. This could be a blessing in disguise -- I reckon SL will need the hitting of Maharoof in the final overs, given how the last few matches have gone.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ive only seen highlights of the game, but from what i saw looks like Maharoof was getting smashed around the park......

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The hitting of Maharoof is somewhat over rated, he has to get bat onto bowl for it to be effective.
It's not that overrated IMO, he has added impetous at the bottom of the Sri Lankan order on quite a few occasions and can clear the ropes quite easily, especially in the 'v' straight down the ground. His numbers don't really reflect his ability to hit the ball out of the park, but his hitting should be valued by the Sri Lankan side because they don't really have anyone else.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It's not that overrated IMO, he has added impetous at the bottom of the Sri Lankan order on quite a few occasions and can clear the ropes quite easily, especially in the 'v' straight down the ground. His numbers don't really reflect his ability to hit the ball out of the park, but his hitting should be valued by the Sri Lankan side because they don't really have anyone else.
There is no doubts that if he gets going he could smack any bowler out of the park. But the issue comes with his consistency, more often then not he'll just play a stupid shot and get out. I just don't think his consistant enough with the bat to pick him on his batting/hitting ability. Bandara probably got as much chance to smack a bowling attack around the park in the last couple overs really.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He may hit the ball a long way, but he doesn't hit the ball very often, so it's a moot point really. Out for 6 off 2 balls isn't tremendously useful.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is no doubts that if he gets going he could smack any bowler out of the park. But the issue comes with his consistency, more often then not he'll just play a stupid shot and get out. I just don't think his consistant enough with the bat to pick him on his batting/hitting ability. Bandara probably got as much chance to smack a bowling attack around the park in the last couple overs really.
I would still have Maharoof as a superior option to Bandara, especially since Jayasuriya is bowling well in this tournament the need for the third spinner isn't really necessary. To be fair, I don't expect a lot from Maharoof down the order so I'm not terribly disappointed when he fails or holes out to a stupid shot. If he does get himself organised and cuts down on those soft dismissals then he'll be a good #8 in the future.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if Bandara would be considered against Australia , since the game will be at this same ground..(although it could be a different pitch altogether) instead of Maharoof ...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maharoof bowled quite well at the start of his spell and then got taken at the end. Probably deserves another chance if Malinga not fit.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lanka lost but won!

It’s a tight call on the Lankan decision – but one clear outcome is that its def. got under the Aussies skin….their players (listen to Symonds post match interview) and ex players (Ian Chappell, Ian Heally, O’Donnell), and public etc are pretty cheesed off and hopping mad as their victory is hollow and they have learnt nothing….so, in the mind games stakes SL 1, Aus 0.

This could end up as a brilliant tactical move, but first we have to win the semi and get to the final. Otherwise, the team will take a pounding for this decision.

Overall, the situation that has evolved could be summed up in the plus and minus points below:

+ve points

1. We have played with the Aus mindset and won this one hands down, as Aus are still not sure of the value of their win.
2. Malinga and Murali (and even Vaas) are still unknown factors in these conditions to the Aussies
3. We take on NZ (who we beat in S8), rather than RSA who we lost to in S8
4. SL top order is still suspect, but the rest took Tait, Macgrath and Clarke/Symonds (60% of Aus attack) for plenty of runs.
5. Mahela and Chamara batted themselves into form against Aus attack and almost took the game away (167/3 looked so good from 27/3)…Even Maharoof can take something from his knock
6. The Aussies bats cannot take anything away as they have not faced the real SL attack
7. Murali & Vass get a rest
8. We have lost, but still won!

-ve Points
1. Aussies are cheesed off for being tactically out-classed and may use this as motivation in final
2. Bowling out Aus cheaply with Malinga, Murali & Vass would have given a confidence boost
3. If we won, we could have played at St Lucia’s which suits us better than Sabina Park
4. We missed an opp to carry the psycological advantage against the Aussies going into the final

Given the impact on this surprise tactic by the Lankans, I would not be surprised if NZ follow suit on Fri against Aus and rest some key players.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The only real worry will be the how Dilhara/Maharoof react to getting smashed by the Aussie. Maharoof will take some confidence due to the way he batted, but not sure what effect it will have on his bowling. Dilhara is the big concern, his a real confidence players. Unless he has a big game against Ireland, the amount of runs he went in his last spell against NZ and against Australia today will effect him. He also has his no ball, wides, accuracy issues and lack of pace effecting him again. Might be time to give the last spot to Maharoof again, as atleast he has some confidence with his batting.

pasag

RTDAS
It’s a tight call on the Lankan decision – but one clear outcome is that its def. got under the Aussies skin….their players (listen to Symonds post match interview) and ex players (Ian Chappell, Ian Heally, O’Donnell), and public etc are pretty cheesed off and hopping mad as their victory is hollow and they have learnt nothing….so, in the mind games stakes SL 1, Aus 0.

This could end up as a brilliant tactical move, but first we have to win the semi and get to the final. Otherwise, the team will take a pounding for this decision.

Overall, the situation that has evolved could be summed up in the plus and minus points below:

+ve points

1. We have played with the Aus mindset and won this one hands down, as Aus are still not sure of the value of their win.
2. Malinga and Murali (and even Vaas) are still unknown factors in these conditions to the Aussies
3. We take on NZ (who we beat in S8), rather than RSA who we lost to in S8
4. SL top order is still suspect, but the rest took Tait, Macgrath and Clarke/Symonds (60% of Aus attack) for plenty of runs.
5. Mahela and Chamara batted themselves into form against Aus attack and almost took the game away (167/3 looked so good from 27/3)…Even Maharoof can take something from his knock
6. The Aussies bats cannot take anything away as they have not faced the real SL attack
7. Murali & Vass get a rest
8. We have lost, but still won!

-ve Points
1. Aussies are cheesed off for being tactically out-classed and may use this as motivation in final
2. Bowling out Aus cheaply with Malinga, Murali & Vass would have given a confidence boost
3. If we won, we could have played at St Lucia’s which suits us better than Sabina Park
4. We missed an opp to carry the psycological advantage against the Aussies going into the final

Given the impact on this surprise tactic by the Lankans, I would not be surprised if NZ follow suit on Fri against Aus and rest some key players.
Dire.