• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I've found too many errors on HowStat. I usually use CricInfo for Test/ODI stats and CricketArchive for FC/List-A.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Looks like there won't be any play at all today, which has got me to wondering why 3 of the 4 tests in the early summer series are being played in the north of England? To have tests in Leeds, Manchester and Durham before the end of June seems crazy to me - surely it would have been better to have a southern bias - e.g tests at Lords, Edgbaston, The Rose Bowl and The Oval for the West Indian series and to give the northern venues a go in the Indian series, when the chances of the whole country having better weather are far greater? To illustrate my point, look at this:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

There's a complete north/south divide - it's not exactly a beautiful day here in the south but at least it's dry. Just strikes me as a little odd really.

stumpski

International Captain
Looks like there won't be any play at all today

Certainly looking that way - the rain's coming down now and if it stops there'll be an inspection at 12.30.

Very nice here in Kent, but apparently the bad weather is all over the north and midlands so it may be on its way down. :unsure:

Fiery

Banned
Certainly looking that way - the rain's coming down now and if it stops there'll be an inspection at 12.30.

Very nice here in Kent, but apparently the bad weather is all over the north and midlands so it may be on its way down. :unsure:
Can we move the game to Kent? Surely where there's a will, there's a way

stumpski

International Captain
Kent are away, so the ground's free. :)

Looking at the forecast, Sunday looks to be the best day. It might be the first day as well.

There are several CC matches starting today - Middlesex and Hampshire are playing at home so there should be some county cicket if nothing else.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

It's nice in South London too, and I gather that the Oval's available. thinking about it, when was the last time a WI tour didn't feature a test at the Oval? Sad times imo.

Talking of which, I was there on Wednesday in one of the conference rooms. "The Ashes Suite", to be precise. Is anyone remotely interested in my opinions of said room?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
People exaggerate about the bad weather. Cold and cloudy but dry on Merseyside. Perfect weather. You can keep your "very nice."

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Talking of which, I was there on Wednesday in one of the conference rooms. "The Ashes Suite", to be precise. Is anyone remotely interested in my opinions of said room?
£10 says it was the most boring room you've ever been in.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, the thing about the Ashes Suite at the Oval is that apparently there were no Ashes tests at the ground between the first one (1882?) and 2005.

There's lots of very nice pictures of Strauss celebrating his 100, Fred celebrating a wicket, KP milking it after his 158 and all the post match celebrations. Which is all well and good. But, apart from a photo of the article that gave the series its name in the 19th century, no other game is mentioned. Not a peep of the other years when England have regained the Ashes at the Oval. No sign of Gower in 1985, Compton's winning runs in 1953, or Hobbs&Sutcliffe in 1926. No mention of other famous wins which at least secured a series draw such as Dolly & Underwood in 1968 & Hutton & chums in 1936 or 1937, whichever it was. Or even Bradman's last test in 1948. What a waste of an opportunity to make something really good. And doesn't it say something about our failure to move on from 2005.
As for the Australians, apparently there weren't any before Alan Border. And most of the ones who are featured are in their oneday kit, which pissed me off as it was supposed to be the Ashes Suite ffs.

Oh, and I can't find another WI tour when we didn't play them at the Oval.