• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the 2nd greatest test batsman of alltime?

Who's the 2nd greatest Test batsman of alltime?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But he did score runs, as well.

Averaged 54 for most of his career, in a much more arduous time for batting..
And I'm fine with people saying that. I don't take issue so much with people voting for Richards; but with the reasons some are giving. If you'd back Richards to score more runs consistently against the best attacks when it mattered, then that's a perfectly legitimate reason to vote for him. But people stating the reason for their vote as enjoying him bat having seen him are being just as silly as I was by selecting Ganga for the exact same reason.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And I'm fine with people saying that. I don't take issue so much with people voting for Richards; but with the reasons some are giving. If you'd back Richards to score more runs consistently against the best attacks when it mattered, then that's a perfectly legitimate reason to vote for him. But people stating the reason for their vote as enjoying him bat having seen him are being just as silly as I was by selecting Ganga for the exact same reason.
Well they shouldn't be saying that really, it's muddying the waters.

The fact that he regularly dismantled great bowlers. like Willis and Botham would play a part in their thoughts, though, and rightly so.

btw, I voted for Hobbs, but I really can't stand the vehement anti-Richards stuff here. It's as nonsensical as the Anti-Lillee stuff in the other thread and I didn't even put Lillee in my top-ten pace bowlers ever.

Its just disrespectful to true greats of the game, imho. Almost tantamount to flame-baiting, tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well they shouldn't be saying that really, it's muddying the waters.
Which is my point. There's no doubt in my mind that Richards was a far, far superior batsman to Daren Ganga and, really, half the players on the poll, but if the criteria for being a good batsman has been changed to include pleasing the judge, then Ganga is all of sudden one of the best batsman I've seen.

grecian said:
The fact that he regularly dismantled great bowlers. like Willis and Botham would play a part in their thoughts, though, and rightly so.
Indeed, because it's a positive argument to suggest he'd be able to score runs against all comers. Not, however, because dismantling attacks actually makes you a better batsman than those who play against the same and score more runs in a less eye-pleasing way.

btw, I voted for Hobbs, but I really can't stand the vehement anti-Richards stuff here. It's as nonsensical as the Anti-Lillee stuff in the other thread and I didn't even put Lillee in my top-ten pace bowlers ever.

Its just disrespectful to true greats of the game, imho. Almost tantamount to flame-baiting, tbh.
I should make it clear that I'm not saying Richards wasn't a great batsman or even that he wasn't the best after Bradman - I'm just pointing out that being a good batsman really has nothing to do with how much you please the crowd or appear to be doing; but all about what you can achieve and actually do achieve. What cricket is about and what being a good player is about are two totally different things..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really can't stand the vehement anti-Richards stuff here. It's as nonsensical as the Anti-Lillee stuff in the other thread and I didn't even put Lillee in my top-ten pace bowlers ever.

That would require people being interested in baiting people like Sean and SJS, which, frankly, is a ludicrous accusation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Similarly to those who have voted for Richards on feats other than run-scoring (ability to dismantle a bowling attack, asthetic nature etc), I have voted "other" and would like my vote to be recognised as one for Daren Ganga.

I am 100% serious here. If people are voting for Richards because he was pleasing to the eye could dismantle an attack, I'm voting for Daren Ganga because he's pleasing to my eye and has a superb technique.

Jacques Kallis comes in third.
Couldn't agree more if I tried.

And the phrase 'if you had watched him play' is a cop out. None of you watched Bradman play, or Trumper, or Shrewsbury or WG Grace, or a bunch of players but I see those same people rolling out the red carpet every time they are so much as mentioned.

And no one is saying that Richards was anything less than exceptional. But run output = your measure as a batsman. You can slice that up to get a closer look (by country, by attacks faced, by match situation, etc) and that is all very valid but in the end, run output = better player.

And as Prince, I love watching Darren Ganga bat and cricket for me is watching guys like that bat, while I can't stand watching Sehwag but I can concede that the latter is a better player while the former is still better to watch.

And earlier in the thread someone said that they feel sorry because cricket to some people is 'just runs and wickets'. Um, no. My judging Steve Waugh a better player than Daren Ganga has nothing to do with my enjoyment of watching Daren Ganga. That line of argument is completely inane.

Very few arguments make me truly mad, but something like this is one of them. :laugh:

grecian

And the phrase 'if you had watched him play' is a cop out. None of you watched Bradman play, or Trumper, or Shrewsbury or WG Grace, or a bunch of players but I see those same people rolling out the red carpet every time they are so much as mentioned.

And no one is saying that Richards was anything less than exceptional. But run output = your measure as a batsman. You can slice that up to get a closer look (by country, by attacks faced, by match situation, etc) and that is all very valid but in the end, run output = better player.

And as Prince, I love watching Darren Ganga bat and cricket for me is watching guys like that bat, while I can't stand watching Sehwag but I can concede that the latter is a better player while the former is still better to watch.

And earlier in the thread someone said that they feel sorry because cricket to some people is 'just runs and wickets'. Um, no. My judging Steve Waugh a better player than Daren Ganga has nothing to do with my enjoyment of watching Daren Ganga. That line of argument is completely inane.

Very few arguments make me truly mad, but something like this is one of them. :laugh:
Surely saying Hobbs is in a "different class", is just that, though.

Even on run scored in Tests, which is what the thread-starter asked, it isn't that dis-similar, for much of their careers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is, though. Hobbs scored runs at a better average, on of times impossibly worse pitches.

To even compare a modern great to someone who did what Hobbs did, really, just baffles logic IMO. That's not to say the modern greats couldn't do it if given the chance (though it's perfectly possible that many couldn't have) but they weren't.

Virtually no-one did anywhere near what Hobbs did in Hobbs' day. He wasn't quite a Bradman, the way WG was in his day, but he wasn't a million miles off.

Even in Richards' day, there were batsmen of equal productivity.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is, though. Hobbs scored runs at a better average, on of times impossibly worse pitches.

To even compare a modern great to someone who did what Hobbs did, really, just baffles logic IMO. That's not to say the modern greats couldn't do it if given the chance (though it's perfectly possible that many couldn't have) but they weren't.

Virtually no-one did anywhere near what Hobbs did in Hobbs' day. He wasn't quite a Bradman, the way WG was in his day, but he wasn't a million miles off.

Even in Richards' day, there were batsmen of equal productivity.
Which brings us back around to the point that if that was the only criteria then old 'erbert would trump Hobbs.

the_last_rites

Cricket Spectator
I am going to go against the flow here and say that its either Barry Richards or Graeme Pollock. I dont think I have to elaborate on the reasons. But I will say this. My uncle who used to be a cricket enthusiast happened to own some vhs videos which had pseudo documentaries on the SA apartheid issue and the fallout it caused in cricket. They had some amateurish footage which captured some of these guys masterpieces in the middle. Moreover all the people who were talking about Barry and Graeme in those videos i.e the biggies like Boycs and all seem to think that they were right up there with the Don. Make out of it what you will but I'm firmly inclined to agree with these eminent men and believe that the 2nd and 3rd positions on such a list belong to these men

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which brings us back around to the point that if that was the only criteria then old 'erbert would trump Hobbs.
It's not the only criteria though. On criteria X, Hobbs (and Sutcliffe) trump Richards. On criteria Y, Hobbs trumps Sutcliffe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am going to go against the flow here and say that its either Barry Richards or Graeme Pollock. I dont think I have to elaborate on the reasons. But I will say this. My uncle who used to be a cricket enthusiast happened to own some vhs videos which had pseudo documentaries on the SA apartheid issue and the fallout it caused in cricket. They had some amateurish footage which captured some of these guys masterpieces in the middle. Moreover all the people who were talking about Barry and Graeme in those videos i.e the biggies like Boycs and all seem to think that they were right up there with the Don. Make out of it what you will but I'm firmly inclined to agree with these eminent men and believe that the 2nd and 3rd positions on such a list belong to these men
Contemporaries of each of Archie Jackson and Stan McCabe thought they were right up there with The Don too.

Richards and Pollock could indeed have been two of the best batsmen in history (I've always found the Pollock case, at least, a little dubious myself). To suggest they were next-Bradmans, though, is pretty silly.

grecian

Why? I would say Steve Waugh, Gordon Greendige, Jack Hobbs were all exceptional, but that doesn't mean they were all equal.
A different class suggests to me a gulf, that isn't there or hasn't been proven imho.

I don't buy that Hobbs had a vastly superior Test record, to even some in his own side. Suttcliff, Hammond and even Hendren, (even though it was argued he didn't perform against the best) were of similar or better standards in many peoples eyes. You said it was about begetting runs, Hobbs and Richards did this at roughly the same rate for much of their respective careers.

Again I have to state voted for Hobbs, but in no way can I or many others consider him in a seperate category.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

To be Honest, this is one of the silliest post on CW. This whole line of immature argument has ruined the CW for me. If you really believe that Ganga is more watchable than Sir Viv Richards then what can I say. Perhaps there is something wrong with the definition of 'Watchable'.

I never watched Sir Jack Hobbs so I will never be able to tell whether or not he was a better batsman than Sir Richards or Sunny Gavaskar, but by just looking at his stats and reading about him I can never make a statement that 'He is over-rated'.

the_last_rites

Cricket Spectator
Contemporaries of each of Archie Jackson and Stan McCabe thought they were right up there with The Don too.

Richards and Pollock could indeed have been two of the best batsmen in history (I've always found the Pollock case, at least, a little dubious myself). To suggest they were next-Bradmans, though, is pretty silly.
why exactly is his case dubious to you? He's been hailed as the finest left hand batsman to play the game by all and sundry. He's been named as SA's player of the century(over Richards mind you, the guy you think has more cred than Pollock according to you Richie). He's had the Don pay him numerous compliments(Dont think Don is someone who gives off compliments like that. There was this innings that he played in the 60s down under which made the Don tell him something along the lines of 'Give me a call the next time you decide to play an innings like that'). He's been widely regarded as one of the best if not the best timer of the ball. His technique was supposed to be better than even David freakin Gowers. The stats speak for themselves as you can imagine. The only thing that could have possibly have worked against his case was that he didnt pick up English County cricket like Richards did, so less number of people were exposed to him. But nonetheless Richard, what is it that you know that makes you think the claims of people like Barry Richards and others are spurious?

Just remember you're downplaying the achievement of the one South African player who it is claimed then when out in the middle batting for Transvaal, consequently caused the productivity of offices all around SA to go down :D .

PhoenixFire

International Coach
To be Honest, this is one of the silliest post on CW. This whole line of immature argument has ruined the CW for me. If you really believe that Ganga is more watchable than Sir Viv Richards then what can I say. Perhaps there is something wrong with the definition of 'Watchable'.
*Shakes Head*

People have a different idea of what is good to watch, just like they have a different idea of what food tastes nice, it's a pretty simple idea. I'm not sure why you have such trouble understanding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.