• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2007 format

Deja moo

International Captain
16 teams for WC2007

4 groups pf 4 each...

top 2 from each gruop go to super 8's

is this a good format?

FRAZ

International Captain
it depends how the grouping has been done .
Isnt that the same super six S*** . I guess the top 8 should play each other regardless if the 2 teams have already played in the 1st round .
I liked the 1992 WC. when each team played each other , and quite a drama and suspense in that world cup . How can we justify the Zimbabweans qualifing the next round of 2003 WC.
And now if any player of any team is gonna deny playing due to a lizard found dead near the cricket stadium or one odd fan showed middle finger to them, then that team must be banned forever . They are what? cricketers or male strippers showing up when ever they want .

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nothing like a good over-reaction, Fraz..

IMO the 2007 format is as close to perfect as we'll get. The lesser teams get match practice and experience against the bigger guns in the group stage, and then the best 8 (which is likely to be Aus, NZ, SA, WI, Eng, Pak, Ind, SL) all play each other in the same vein as the highly successful 1991 tournament.

Grouping will be 1/8/9/16, 2/7/10/15, 3/6/11/14 and 4/5/12/13 I'd think.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Nothing like a good over-reaction, Fraz..

IMO the 2007 format is as close to perfect as we'll get. The lesser teams get match practice and experience against the bigger guns in the group stage, and then the best 8 (which is likely to be Aus, NZ, SA, WI, Eng, Pak, Ind, SL) all play each other in the same vein as the highly successful 1991 tournament.

Grouping will be 1/8/9/16, 2/7/10/15, 3/6/11/14 and 4/5/12/13 I'd think.
Sounds good to me...and I'd love to see a good upset too in the group stages :)

V Reddy

International Debutant
Armadillo said:
the minnows will never win, i say chuck em out.
If the minnows are not introduced then the game will slowly die.

Why is the problem only with Cricket :yawn: . In every major event in any sport , small teams/players get the chances in early rounds. Thats why those games survive. For example look at the Tennis GS , Rugby WC ,etc,. all had strong teams playing weak teams in the early rounds. It is needed for the survival of the game. There are already reports that the game is losing interest in England. Who knows by the end of 2-3 decades, it may end up like football in India. Cricket needs new countries for its survival.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
vishnureddy said:
If the minnows are not introduced then the game will slowly die.

Why is the problem only with Cricket :yawn: . In every major event in any sport , small teams/players get the chances in early rounds. Thats why those games survive. For example look at the Tennis GS , Rugby WC ,etc,. all had strong teams playing weak teams in the early rounds. It is needed for the survival of the game. There are already reports that the game is losing interest in England. Who knows by the end of 2-3 decades, it may end up like football in India. Cricket needs new countries for its survival.
It's always good for someone else to do the explaining for me. 8D

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
hey you should see halsey at school knows nuttin. and as 4 you neil atleast i dont go around showing my picture when im ginge. now dats stupid.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Armadillo said:
hey you should see halsey at school knows nuttin. and as 4 you neil atleast i dont go around showing my picture when im ginge. now dats stupid.
Clearly you're just about advancing past the six-year-old stage of humour.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Id like to see A WC of 8 small teams KO losers into Plate Trophy.

Then 4 groups of 3 (adding the top 8 in)

Winners through to semis Losers to Plate.

---------------------------------------------------

Then the Plate starts You have 12 teams so do the same again as the trophy proper.

Leaving 4 semi finals

Schedule PLATE 1

FINALS 1

PLATE 2

FINALS 2

---------------------------------------------------

Then the Plate final

Then the final proper.

Then the Plate winners play the Winners.

-------------------------------------------------

Matches 4+12+12+4+3= 35 matches I think

Langeveldt

Soutie
Armadillo said:
Lol!!!

I dont want any more minnows, but Holland, Namibia, Canada at least have a few entertainers in their ranks...

As long as it isnt too many meaningless one day internationals spread over a really long tournament, then it should be fine...

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Armadillo said:
the minnows will never win, i say chuck em out.
Cricket (the ICC) needs to introduce new nations and fund develovpment programs (to make these sides competitive) so that cricket can not only survive in the future, but also by introducing new nations, cricket can attract a new legion of fans which can only be better for the game.