• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choosing a good time to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

World Traveller
Jesus, don't bother arguing with someone who is never wrong, and I guess we can kiss another thread goodbye.. Small wonder half of us don't go into cricket chat any more..
AWTA.

I was hoping the same as well, but then we have the President and Vice-President of the anti-Richard club (Marc the founder) and the man himself and it has just ruined it. Agree to disagree sometimes, it helps instead of being so bloody stubborn. It's just an internet forum.

JBMAC

State Captain
The best time to retire is when an On drive played as technically perfect as you think it is becomes a late cut....definitely speaking from experience here ...had to quit at 42...what a bummer

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I said before, I don't buy into this 'go on top' thing. You play until either you don't want to, or until the selectors tell you not to. I think legacy and such is for people to discuss afterward. As long as you think you're being useful and want to play, and selectors agree, than I don't see the problem.
If you're still useful (ie, actually useful, rather than averaging 26 but still being wrongly perceived as better than other options because of past glories) then for mine you're still "on top" as such.

Legacy is indeed to be discussed afterwards, but obviously you make your legacy, and you do it while you're playing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If I was a cricketer, I wouldn't give a **** what some dickhead on a cricket forum like myself thinks of me and my final career stats.

I've said this before, but if I
a) am still enjoying my cricket
b) am still one of the best XI players in the squad and can further contribute to my team's success
c) feel I haven't achieved everything in the game I want to yet (series win over such and such country, or World Cup win etc.)
d) would like to continue to experience the benefits of a sports star (fame, income, travel)

then I see no reason why I wouldn't want to go on. If my average falls from 56 with the bat to 49 over the last three years of my career, but I'm still playing good cricket and contributing to my team's cause, then I couldn't give a stuff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If your average falls from 56 to 49 over 3 years (let's say that'd equate to 25 Tests) that's quite some drop, and would mean you'd be unlikely to have batted especially well in that time.

56 to 53, on the other hand, would probably still be a fine contribution.

In any case, the "dickhead" is the person that judges purely on an overall career record, rather than using the tools (such as StatsGuru) at their disposal to look at the deeper truths.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
You have to retire with dignity intact.

Not when the selectors push you. Not when you want to break that last record. Not when you have some personal agenda. Not even when you're good enough to still maintain a place in the side.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would ask Richard when I should retire, apparently he knows whats best for everyone. Then I'd play on for another 4-5 years inspite of him.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
:laugh:
Agree with Jono BTW. If your performances really start to suck and you're being selected on name alone then it's time to hang it up.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have to retire with dignity intact.

Not when the selectors push you. Not when you want to break that last record. Not when you have some personal agenda. Not even when you're good enough to still maintain a place in the side.
I'd play on just to make 50,000 first class runs, even though people thought I no longer had any of value to contribute to the side. With a big milestone up ahead, you should be allowed to break through it before you're consigned to the scrapheap of history.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard has been banned from the forums for seven days, due to detrimental effects on forum atmosphere due to the ongoing feuds that have spread throughout the different parts of the forum.

Lillian Thomson, your posting over the past week with regards to the banned user has left a lot to be desired; following him around and baiting him regularly. If this behaviour is to continue, then you will also find yourself on the end of a ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.