• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in India Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JustTool said:
It's these critical decisions at critical junctures that sway macthes. From CriciInfo (so I am not accusedof making excuses etc.)

Khan to Katich, no run, CLOSE! good length delivery pitched outside
the off stump and angling in sharply, Katich is late and the ball
hits the pad in line with the off stump, Zaheer Khan was convinced
but umpire Aleem Dar was not, looked very close
tv replays confirm that the ball hits the pad in line, Katich lucky
to be still ther
e, Zaheer Khan is bowling like a champion
It didn't look out at first, because as Katich was struck (because he was off balance) he moved another half a foot outside offstump, so it did look like the ball hit outside offstump. But, yes the replay showed it was absolutely plumb.

Last edited:

JustTool

State 12th Man
Geez. The Aussie batsmen have been beaten far more times than any Indian batsman was and they are still lucky to be there. India could easily have picked up a couple of wickets with a little more luck.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
It didn't look out at first, because as Katich was struck (because he was off balance) he moved another half a foot outside offstump, so it did look like the ball hit outside offstump. But, yes the replay showed it was absolutely plumb.
I suppose you could be accused of making excuses (hello Marc1178 ?) but I won't do that... :)

Mister Wright

JustTool said:
I suppose you could be accused of making excuses (hello Marc1178 ?) but I won't do that... :)
I wasn't making excuses, I was giving a reason. Remember an umpire should not give a decision if there is any doubt.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Simon Katich was 'dead lbw' according to Dean Jones but not given out by Aleem Dar. 'That's just out' says DJ again !

Just reporting the facts folks, as reported by an Aussie for all you open-minde folks there who yhink any one lese has a credibility problem.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
JustTool said:
It's these critical decisions at critical junctures that sway macthes.
Errm, no. It is big scores like those from Martyn and Clarke and great spells of bowling like those from McGrath, Gillespie and Warne that sway matches. A single umpiring decision when a team is already more than 200 runs behind on the first innings has a minimal impact on a match.

It was, however, a bad decision.

Mister Wright

JustTool said:
Simon Katich was 'dead lbw' according to Dean Jones but not given out by Aleem Dar. 'That's just out' says DJ again !

Just reporting the facts folks, as reported by an Aussie for all you open-minde folks there who yhink any one lese has a credibility problem.

I'll clear that up for everyone. Dean Jones said at first that he thought it hit outside the line. He then said "I retract my statement" after seeing the replay. He then said, as I did, that because he was unbalanced and was therefore outside the line after impact, it was the only thing that saved him.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
I wasn't making excuses, I was giving a reason. Remember an umpire should not give a decision if there is any doubt.
Sounds like more excuses, but I who's counting ? :)

Looks like suddenly the pitch has become unplayable :wacko: (I lost count of plays and misses, and of rapped on the pad ,and of lbws plumb and not given :) )
I wonder if Slater will say that the Aussie batsmen are not applying themselves (as he said of the Indian batsmen this AM).

Mister Wright

JustTool said:

Looks like suddenly the pitch has become unplayable :wacko: (I lost count of plays and misses, and of rapped on the pad ,and of lbws plumb and not given :) )
I wonder if Slater will say that the Aussie batsmen are not applying themselves (as he said of the Indian batsmen this AM).

Perhaps it could be that the Australian's are applying themselves and that is the reason why they aren't getting the edges?

JustTool

State 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
Perhaps it could be that the Australian's are applying themselves and that is the reason why they aren't getting the edges?
The two missed lbws not withstanding you win the Excuse Maestro award. Will let you know when the award cermony will be held :) :wacko:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
JustTool said:

Funny, the pitch didn't seem unplayable when Lehmann and Martyn were scoring at 5 an over on it during the afternoon session on day 1. The pitch is not the issue, it's some excellent bowling on a pitch which has something in it for quick bowlers (and spinners who appreciate bounce, like Kumble and Warne). If you don't take advantage of it, you will get thrashed around the park anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JustTool said:
In the last 5 years which country has the best Test record against Australia ? Hint: It's definitely not England :p
No, England just play better against the other 8 nations.

We also win away series more frequently than every 20 years.

Mister Wright

JustTool said:
The two missed lbws not withstanding you win the Excuse Maestro award. Will let you know when the award cermony will be held :) :wacko:

Which was the other LBW? And btw I thought it was out I was just giving you a possible reason why it wasn't given out. Can you think of any others? I can't, because it looked really close to me on first look.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JustTool said:
It's these critical decisions at critical junctures that sway macthes.
And of course with Australia having scored 398 against 185 in the first innings the game is really in the control of India isn't it? 8-)

That decision cannot sway a game that they're already so far on top of.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JustTool said:
There's only one person making excuses here, and it's not me or Mister Wright.

Your team is being thoroughly outplayed, but you now point to an LBW decision as being critical!

Mister Wright

marc71178 said:
And of course with Australia having scored 398 against 185 in the first innings the game is really in the control of India isn't it? 8-)

That decision cannot sway a game that they're already so far on top of.

Yes, but Clarke was plumb in the first innings when he was in single figures and he went on to make 91.

Although he had a missed stumping in his twenties. But then, if he was given out LBW, that wouldn' have happened. Let's just say it is a part of the game.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Tired of listening to Slats go on and on about Aussie batsmen and players and team spirit and baggy green (like it came directly from the Pope). Very little mention of Zaheer's outstanding spell (unlike his poetry about McGrath and Gillespie). I suppose his bias is a refelection of the parochial attitude of some of the posters.... :) :) :D