• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No. Andre will be replaced at that time.
May I enquire into the position of Andre's replacement? Will he(/she) be a non-playing selector, like Andre, or is the "non-playing selector" position being scrapped?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
steds said:
May I enquire into the position of Andre's replacement? Will he(/she) be a non-playing selector, like Andre, or is the "non-playing selector" position being scrapped?
That will have to be reviewed. I'm not sure how many options there are for a non-playing selector. However, if you have any suggestions in mind, feel free to post here or email me.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
I didn't realise your name was Andre :blink: :-O :huh:
Not content with opening the batting and the bowling as well as keeping, he now want's to be Andre as well.

Does that mean he can open with himself?

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
ha ha ha!

Very funny, I was also called a post booster at this time of season earlier on here!

And I only do Bowling when in the keepers XI, for god's sake I'm a keeper, not superman!

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
You do Bowling? How is he/she? any good :)

p.s i just had a thought of Superman playing cricket. $10 says he would be better than bradman.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The NJS News
The Official Newspaper of Nixonstown Junior School: Issue 43

Shan-dal: CW Colts player in language row
By Sam Ward

Just two months after the mobile phone incident involving Nixonstown Junior's Lewis Mitchell and CW Black star Neil Pickup, cricket and controversy have come back to our school. After a grade friendly match between the Nixonstown Foxes and Gofftown Tigers, Matthew Lyle, a Class 4A pupil at NJS, asked Tigers wicketkeeper Shan Jasotharan for an autograph.

This seems a perfectly fine thing for an eight-year-old cricket fan to do, but instead of being greeted with a smile and a signature, all Matthew received was a swear word and a shove. Matthew, shocked by the experience, told the NJS News, 'I'd never heard anyone use a word like that before, my dad was really really angry but Jasotharan just told him the same. He said that he was a better batsman and bowler and keeper than my dad would ever be so he didn't have to listen. Then he got into his car and drove away. I was really upset because I used to like Jasotharan because he hits the ball hard."

The way that Jasotharan reacted to the boy is in huge contrast to the way that Neil Pickup handled his own unfortunate accident, which readers may remember involved a mobile phone and a window. It also contrasts with the reaction of Gofftown skipper Brendon Goff, who was happy to sign Matthew's autograph book and also insisted that the rest of the Tigers team signed a shirt for him.

Jasotharan would not speak to the NJS News when we asked him to talk to us, and there's been no comment from either the Colts management, or new CWXI coach Pratyush Agarwal. With Agarwal new to his job, a situation like this is surely not what he wanted to be greeted with - and may yet be the first Test of his reign, long before any cricket is played.

samuel.ward@njs.sch.cw

Next week in the NJS News: U11 Football - CWLand National Knockout Second Round: Nixonstown v St Anglia's

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Coach reacts

By Barsha Hoghle

Reacting to comments made by Mr. Lyle to NJS News, I caught up with the coach Mr. Agarwal for an exclusive. I have known Mr. Agarwal from his coaching days in Bahrain where I was studying Journalism in Bahrain university. I managed to ask him a few questions.

BH - First of all congratulations on the appointment.

Agarwal - Thank you.

BH - What are the areas you are going to focus upon as coach?

Agarwal - Improvement of the national side in tests and limited overs cricket would be the end result obviously. For this I will be focussing on having a cohesive unit of individuals with the right attitude, team spirit, image and fitness levels.

BH - Speaking of image, what do you feel regarding Mr. Jasotharan's reactions to Mr. Lyle?

Agarwal - Obviously its not the image we are looking at. People who are public figures,specially heroes like Mr. Jasotharan, should project themselves responsibly. We do not want to have the ugly Australian image. Public figures, be it the Board members, the coach or the players are all ambassadors of the game and as ambassadors they should maintain the dignity of the sport they are representing. The way Mr. Goff reacted afterwards is praiseworthy. Thats what I call leading by example.

BH - On team spirit - Mr. Dauth was excluded from the CW A tour to the Windies. What do you have to say on that?

Agarwal - Mr. Dauth is a fine young talent. The CW selection panel has dealt with his issue and that is past as far as I am concerned. Even Ricky Ponting got involved in fair deal of trouble early in his career like in a night club in Calcutta. But he learnt from the hard lessons early in his career to captain Australia one day.

BH - Thanks for speaking with us and best of luck with the job.

Agarwal - Thank you.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting slams Agarwal comments
Australian captain defends his team

Captain Ricky Ponting has come out in support of Australian cricket after the latest wave of criticism levelled this time by new Cricket Web XI coach, Pratyush Agarwal.

In a recent interview with Barsha Hoghle, Agarwal attacked the image of Australian cricket, citing it as "ugly" and lacking the dignity of the sport. He suggested that Australian cricketers are poor role models and harming the sport more than helping it. The issue arose as Agarwal commented on a recent incident involving talented wicketkeeper-batsman Shan Jasotharan.

"Never heard of the guy (Jasotharan). Lots of players hit the ball hard. Who is he?" Ponting responded. Addressing the suggestion of Agarwal that young Cricket Web players, such as Rob Dauth, are being poorly influenced by their cricketing icons in Australia, Ponting said, "I think he (Agarwal) should take a look at which team is winning. They're always going to criticize the leaders. I don't think he or his team are in any place to do that. He's a rookie - an amateur."

Dauth, an Australian by birth with CWLand heritage, was excluded from the Cricket Web 'A' team which is currently touring the West Indies. The reason given for the move was "attitude problems" seemingly directly related to Dauth's rough interaction with fellow Cricket Web players.

Ponting said, "I feel for him (Dauth). I saw him bat in the nets in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago and he's got some talent. Lovely offside play and a commanding pull stroke. He's an Aussies, but as long as he stays in CWLand he has a bright future in the sport."

Asked to comment on Australia's recent defeat at the hands of the Cricket Web XI in the Champions Trophy, Ponting laughed it off and attributed it to the work of Daniel Towns in the field, "He (Towns) saved about 10-12 runs that Pickup wouldn't have."

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ponting slams Agarwal comments

Asked to comment on Australia's recent defeat at the hands of the Cricket Web XI in the Champions Trophy, Ponting laughed it off and attributed it to the work of Daniel Towns in the field, "He (Towns) saved about 10-12 runs that Pickup wouldn't have."

take that Neil :laugh: amusing artical by the aussie skipper.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pickup defended!

CW All-rounder Marc Robbins has come out in defence of the underfire Neil Pickup following Ricky Ponting's dig.

"Neil's superior batting in the Tournament clearly made up for any perceived runs saved in the field by Towns. He may have scored 10 fewer runs, but he did it in 60 less balls and also took 2 catches, so was clearly a better bet for a middle order role"

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Dauth flattered

CW Red batsman Robert Dauth has responded to the media attention he has received.

"I believe that Pratyush Agarwal will be able to do a good job with the CWXI - he really can't do anyworse than **** Dickinson," Dauth commented, "...it may have been a shock appointment, but all you need to do is look at his coaching credentials. Bahrain? Where the heck is Bahrain?! I heard that they've only just got quills and parchment in Bahrain - how he managed to establish a cricket academy there I don't know."

"I'm flattered by Ricky Ponting's comments, but as far as I'm concerned he needs to show a bit more respect for cricket in Cricketweb Land. It's true that we're not the strongest cricketing nation - but who made it into the finals of both the World Cup and the Champions Trophy?" Dauth said, defending the quality of the CW XI in light of Ponting's comments. "On the issue of the 'ugly' Australian image, I disagree that young cricketers are being influenced poorly by Australian cricketers. You'll find good role models and bad role models in every team. For example, in the English team, you have your Freddie Flintoff - then you have your Kevin Pietersen. It's the same in other national cricket teams."

Dauth was then asked who his role models were. "Well... I looked up to three cricketers in particular. Ricky Ponting, Andrew Cloete and Salamuddin Janissar. All I feel had a good influence on me. Maybe except Cloete, with his constant Tourettes outbursts. The most memorable being when a young, disabled fan approached him for an autograph."

Last edited by a moderator: