• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season X Discussion and Results

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cricket Web Red v Cricket Web Black
at Cricket Web Oval

The match at the Cricket Web Oval opened with Mørk proving a point with the very first ball of the game, as he drove Hoy for six through long on to bring runs up on the board immediately, in an attempt to emulate Tom Halsey. He had made fourteen off five deliveries when he inside edged Thompson, causing the Reds to be 15 for 1 after eleven balls, and regular Oval goers shook their head in disarray at the usually cautious Norwegian.

However, the match quickly turned into a usual Reds match, as James Stedman took seventy-five balls to reach 12; he then slogged Pickup for six with the seventy-sixth, but the partnership of 81 had taken 27.1 overs. Hoy trapped Stedman lbw just after lunch, however, but this precipitated more runs from the Red top order, and Mamesh brought up his century by charging Pickup for four midway through the afternoon session. It was a near-flawless ton, but once he passed 100 he was a little more uncertain, and Pickup eventually had him lbw for 123. That was the turning point of the innings; Richards now picked up three cheap wickets, and the Reds fell from 205 for 3 to a rather meagre 255.

The early overs of the Black innings were frantic. Boundaries and edges abounded, and three flew to hand in the opening 14 overs from the new-ball bowlers, which nevertheless yielded 70 runs for Black. However, though the Blacks occasionally threatened comebacks, the Reds' bowling was good enough to create chances. Of special importance was Borcich's brace of wickets, including Blackman and Thompson, which set Black back to 176 for 7, and Kennett took the final wicket to ensure a 45-run lead for Reds.

Once again, Black broke through with the 11th ball; this time, there was no fireworks, as Mørk quietly departed for a miserable 1. Thompson chipped in with another wicket before the end of his spell, and by the end of day two Reds were effectively 148 for 3, with the match still in the balance. However, the morning session saw a Pickup-inspired riot; three wickets, one run out, and one from Wilson ensured that Reds fell from 120 for 3 to 124 for 8, before a vintage innings from David Kennett brought some respectability back. Kennett batted through one and a half sessions, facing 166 balls without reaching double figures, and he ended not out as Thompson and Wilson clinched wickets after tea. However, the 92-run ninth-wicket partnership - the highest this season by far - looked crucial.

That was before Black batted. A dropped catch (Smith on 15) and a 154-run opening stand later, and everything was forgotten as Black seemingly cruised to victory. Daniel Smith made another trademark hundred, but Nick Borcich broke through twice just before lunch to shake the Blacks up before the break. However, it was not enough, and Blacks chased down the target with six wickets to spare.

Cricket Web Red 255 all out
Cricket Web Black 210 all out
Cricket Web Red 223 all out
Cricket Web Black 271 for 4
Cricket Web Black won by six wickets
Man of the match: Daniel Smith

Cricket Web Blue v Cricket Web Colts
at PDV Dome

The Blues, who began their batting order with four former Test players and continued with an A team captain, feasted on Colts' bowling on the first day. However, though run rates were high, wickets fell steadily, and Liam Camps' 76 was the highest score of the day. Arguably the greatest performance came from Greg Thomas, who recovered from an opening spell of 5-0-29-0 to put in two late spells worth 11.2-2-45-6. In the shade of a rare batting failure from Dylan Jellett, Alex Crampton smacked two sixes, and his 62 not out was the second highest total.

Three half-centuries followed, but the Colts seemed unwilling to convert them into bigger stuff. Gary Nayak was first to reach fifty despite coming in at three - he took 52 balls to do so, and was bowled by Fuller shortly afterwards. A few over afterwards, Matt Pitt suffered the same fate, while Shan Jasotharan took only 28 balls for his half-ton - and then top edged Patrick for 51. After lunch, Nath Patrick cleared up to end with six for 61, and the Colts total of 214 did not sound impressive - until you heard it had been achieved in 47.2 overs.

Resuming with a lead of 82, Blue started positively - before Thomas drove over them. His opening spell of 5-0-15-2 before tea sent Camps and Goff back in the pavilion, and the Colts right back in the game. After that, however, Young and Cloete ran the show for a bit, with boundaries abounding as they both notched up half-centuries - however, once again, the Colts came back, with spinners McNamara and Rai inducing catches with tempting, widish lines. However, the Blues stuck to their task of getting runs, and with Alex Crampton recording his second unbeaten fifty for a match total of 140 runs, Thomas' 4 for 95 helped little, and they were set a daunting target of 407.

With two wickets down in the first six overs, things looked very, very difficult for the Colts, and after Halsey had taken two wickets either side of stumps on day three they were 191 for 8. To their credit, they never gave up believing, with Jack McNamara batting creditably to reach 43 with a 64-run last-wicket partnership, and Greg Thomas fighting off the new ball admirably. Daniel Towns reached his century, a marathon effort involving eight partnerships, but, in a cruel twist of fate, he edged to Nath Patrick at fourth slip and was out for 103. Thomas, the brave number 11, was left standing on 20 not out, and the Blues could breathe and celebrate a 106-run win.

Cricket Web Blue 296 all out
Cricket Web Colts 214 all out
Cricket Web Blue 323 all out
Cricket Web Colts 299 all out
Cricket Web Blue won by 106 runs
Man of the Match: Alex Crampton

Attachments

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
Gutted, that hundred doesn't mean much with that loss. Oh well nice knock from my fellow U19 player Daniel Smith though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yay. Form!

Nice to see us reigniting the title challenge - a good all-round effort, good to see the batting order turning the first innings starts into second innings runs!

Loony BoB

International Captain
Arg. An all round effort, just not one that was good enough. I always envisaged my maiden Dev League FC century to be in a winning game - I'll do my best to make more in future games to help make up for this loss, I'm sure we can build on this performance and get back to winning ways. Great stuff in particular by Thomas with a few 50's up and down the order and all bowlers taking wickets shows that we aren't out of form... we just need a few of those 50's to move on higher and we could have had the win.

Majin

International Debutant
A shame to lose the match, but i'm sure we'll bounce back straight away. Jack and I went for the exact same amount of runs in both innings. :ph34r:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Great win Blue, impressive efforts all round. Most useless game ever from me, but meh. :)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
We had lot's of chances to win that but didn't take them. Again, some good performances but no big step up and Blues finished us off well.

Edit: Camps = my 100th wicket?

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Good team performance again. A pair of 50s each to Crampton and Cloete, and Liam chipped in nicely with the bat, while we had 4 different bowlers bring in solid hauls of wickets.

That's 5 out of 6 now. :)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
great win for black, bowlers did a wonderful job and the batsman cruised in a very solid effort, pleased with my 2nd innings performance...