• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Sri Lanka

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Younis Khan now has the opportunity to show why he should be in the team. His been carried for the past twelve months and needs to show the selectors that he can make runs in one day cricket.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Pakistan looks to be on track still... altho losing wickets at regular interevals, as the total posted by sri lanka is a very modest 224..

Murali has picked up 3 wickets and has 2 overs to go..

alternative

Pakistan won by 4 wickets, a comfortable victory for them..
looks like shuffling the batting order has got them back on track..

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL injury concerns prior to First Test with Vaas likely to miss and Sanath J expected to only just make it .(ie if he recovers in time)

SL's chances are dead in the water without Vaas !!

My selection (in the absence of both Vaas and Sanath)

Upul Tharanga
Chamara Kapugedera
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Mahela Jayawardene (capt)
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Tilan Samaraweera
Malinga Bandara
Sajeewa Weerakoon
Lasith Malinga
Nuwan Kulasekera
Muttiah Muralitharan

SL likely to struggle without Vaas , Sanath and Atapattu. The only way they can win this Test is by attacking from the outset and playing the extra spinner at least gives them that , given Murali's struggle to get wickets lately against the quality teams .

Besides Bandara is a useful batsman . I know the tail does look a bit long but IMO playing the extra spinner gives them the best opportunity to win against Pakistan.

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
SL injury concerns prior to First Test with Vaas likely to miss and Sanath J expected to only just make it .(ie if he recovers in time)

Upul Tharanga
Chamara Kapugedera
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Tilan Samaraweera
Malinga Bandara
Sajeewa Weerakoon
Lasith Malinga
Nuwan Kulasekera
Muttiah Muralitharan

SL likely to struggle without Vaas , Sanath and Atapattu. The only way they can win this Test is by attacking from the outset and playing the extra spinner at least gives them that , given Murali's struggle to get wickets lately against the quality teams .

Besides Bandara is a useful batsman . I know the tail does look a bit long but IMO playing the extra spinner gives them the best opportunity to win against Pakistan.
ur selection looks good except for Kapugedara. I'd put Vandort. kapugedara looks like he can't control his aggression at times.

alternative

IMO Vandort has all the patience in the world, but if he is not going to score any runs.. then sri lanka might as well have Kapugedara..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:

Upul Tharanga
Chamara Kapugedera
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Tilan Samaraweera
Malinga Bandara
Sajeewa Weerakoon
Lasith Malinga
Nuwan Kulasekera
Muttiah Muralitharan

That's one hell of a long tail, also what if Pakistan win the toss (and bat). It's not (likely) going to be a raging turner from day one and only have two seamers could be very risky.

If I was the selectors I would play two spinners, Bandara and Murali, have Dilshan has the third option. Play Farveez Maharoof instead of Sajeewa Weerakoon and have Tilan Samaraweera coming in before Dilshan.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Let's discuss how the Pakistan team will shape up...
IMO

Imran Farhat
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Inzamam
Shahid Afridi
Abdur Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Rana Naveed
Mohammad Asif
Danish Kaneria

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Armadillo said:
IMO

Imran Farhat
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Inzamam
Shahid Afridi
Abdur Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Rana Naveed
Mohammad Asif
Danish Kaneria
Words defy me.... sigh!

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Rock solid combination, brilliant opening pair and quality attacking bowlers, don't see how anyone can challenge this brilliant team.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Armadillo said:
IMO

Imran Farhat
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Inzamam
Shahid Afridi
Abdur Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Rana Naveed
Mohammad Asif
Danish Kaneria

What happened to Butt???

dinu23

International Debutant
RolledOver said:
Rock solid combination, brilliant opening pair and quality attacking bowlers, don't see how anyone can challenge this brilliant team.
the batting looks good but the bowling attack is far from brilliant.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Armadillo said:
IMO

Imran Farhat
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Inzamam
Shahid Afridi
Abdur Razzaq
Kamran Akmal
Rana Naveed
Mohammad Asif
Danish Kaneria

A wonderful side. A fine balance of allround batting class and a feared bowling attack. Pakistan can take pride in the quality of its spin performers outside Pakistan, and with that type of fast bowling fire power, no one can stand nin your way.
I mean the opening attack of Asif and Rana is akin to Ambrose and Walsh and backed up by allrounders the quality of Razzak-Pakistan will go far.

Notice:

Adam Gilchrist has pulled out of the WC squad, on account of his fear of the eminent confrontation with the fabled Pakistani pace quartet of Asif,Razzak,Rana and Rao. With pacers of that quality, why bother with spinners?

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
IndianByHeart said:
A wonderful side. A fine balance of allround batting class and a feared bowling attack. Pakistan can take pride in the quality of its spin performers outside Pakistan, and with that type of fast bowling fire power, no one can stand nin your way.
I mean the opening attack of Asif and Rana is akin to Ambrose and Walsh and backed up by allrounders the quality of Razzak-Pakistan will go far.

Notice:

Adam Gilchrist has pulled out of the WC squad, on account of his fear of the eminent confrontation with the fabled Pakistani pace quartet of Asif,Razzak,Rana and Rao. With pacers of that quality, why bother with spinners?
LOl ! thats funny.

I agree with you on the fats bowlers, i think with dull pitches Pakistan has started producing dull pacers.Just think, once our team had bowlers of the rank of W's and Aquib, and now we are left with Rao's and Rana.As far as fast bowling is concerned, even India are Sri Lanka are far ahead of Pakistan.

Danish Kaneria is our lone spin king and a ladlaa of Inzamam.The guy remains a mystery in the sense that he has been in team for last 5 years and yet he is regarded as a "promisssing spinner".I guess in about 5-6 years when he"ll retire he would by then be the most "promissing spinners" in the country.We should take lesson from India who continue to give their seniors( like Kumble) chance to serve the country and goom youngster, rather than retiring seniors by force, like we did with Mushtaq Ahmad.

As for batting, middle order is fine, but opening pair is a joke.The opponent never know which pair will be playing in the match, every time there is a change.

I think Pak will lose to Sri Lanka, or at best they will manage a draw (unlikely)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
TT Boy said:
That's one hell of a long tail, also what if Pakistan win the toss (and bat). It's not (likely) going to be a raging turner from day one and only have two seamers could be very risky.

If I was the selectors I would play two spinners, Bandara and Murali, have Dilshan has the third option. Play Farveez Maharoof instead of Sajeewa Weerakoon and have Tilan Samaraweera coming in before Dilshan.
Maharoof IMO is not upto Test Match standard against quality Teams. He can get Test wickets against Bangladesh , but he struggles against quality Teams , as seen in his test appearance against NZ.

In fact even as far as ODI's go he can manage ODIs at home, but if you see his away record such as in NZ, India even in ODIs he struggles with both bat and ball making him definitely not an all rounder :) IMO. (ie neither a batter nor a bowler) He was about to get the chop in Australia after a poor India series and NZ ODI series when he returned home with a so called "Injury" (before the chop) and then managed to get back into the easy tour of Bangladesh.

His performances at home are modest but they are damn poor away from home and he has generally been a liability away from home (becoming more of a dead weight in the Team) , and I doubt very much that he will make any impact in this Test series and it would be be pretty stupid on the part of the selectors to pick him over a spinner , IMO.

Last edited: