• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Comes to Wales.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DanielFullard said:
Ha.

For a club like Durham we would benefit far more in financial terms from having the ashes here. You seem to be suggesting that Skys deal means that any money from hosting the ashes is relatively nothing......which is untrue. Skys deal is not that big and even though it provides an essential amount of money to the counties the actual hosting of a Ashes match would be of infinite more benefit to a club like Durham.
In terms of short-term financial benefit, yes - exactly like the Sky deal.
In terms of long-term attraction of the future fans who are going to keep the game afloat with their eyeballs, the Sky deal does a massive amount of damage, sharing-out the Tests does an infintessimal amount of good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
yeah i think Lancs make a couple of million each year from hosting international cricket
How much does it cost to make that couple of million?

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
In terms of long-term attraction of the future fans who are going to keep the game afloat with their eyeballs, the Sky deal does a massive amount of damage, sharing-out the Tests does an infintessimal amount of good.
Once again you are using my own stance to argue against me.

Odd

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DanielFullard said:
Once again you are using my own stance to argue against me.

Odd
Remember what I said about arguing with him being infinitely worse than eating your own liver?

What do you reckon - sauté or deep-fried?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Be thankful, all ye who have a Test-quality ground - the chances of Test cricket ever coming to Taunton are just short of zero. :p
Dang, that was Ian Blackwell's only chance of scoring some test match runs.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It'll be alright as long as they don't use Aussie builders ;)

Oh, and assuming they actually get planning permission!
Pardon my ignorance but what is the delay?

Enviromental or finicial?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The building has taken longer than expected.
I'm sure the reasons for that have been detailed - I for one have taken no notice of it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Absolute farce, there are so many superior grounds to Cardiff.. Oh well I guess we have to keep our minorities happy..

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I think England should play Bangladesh or Zimbabwe (if they ever play tests again) on that road at Taunton and see if they can break the 1000 mark. Then Bangles make 300 and 340-9 and hang on for the draw.

Just for fun.

Funny thing is, if Bangladesh managed to draw that hypothetical game, they would still get points in the ICC test table, and England would lose them!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
see thread entitled 'Langeveldt's forfeit' regarding the Ashes, you said

Richard said:
If we win the series I'll change my avatar, only for a short time, to Panyangara or Upashantha.
Only because I can't find a pic of Moniruzzaman.
someone found you a picture of Moniruzzaman, but you have yet to have it as your avatar

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, that was because I'd completely forgotten about it.
BTW, what on EARTH did that original comment have to do with the post you quoted of mine?

Last edited:

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
For God's sakes. Tell Wales to get thier own team! I bet they would be better than Ireland and Scotland!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Dizzy #4 said:
For God's sakes. Tell Wales to get thier own team! I bet they would be better than Ireland and Scotland!
Wales have got their own team, Glamorgan.

We just kidnap Simon Jones now and again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dizzy #4 said:
Not really. Bearing in mind the fact that England and Wales have always been one and the same in cricketing terms (Glamorgan have been part of an "English" competition since 1921[?]) Wales' cricketing well is shallower considerably than Ireland and Scotland's.