• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Loony BoB said:
He's 13, is he? :p Could have sworn the youngest player in the Dev League was 17... :p
Indeed, quite worrying actually, slipping through the cracks...

Towns '06 - "With Daniel Towns, there are no cracks"

cricketboy29

International Regular
Actually come to think of it, yeah, and wasnt he the one that said that we were really unhelpful, and unwelcoming?

Travis_Teh

International Regular
cricketboy29 said:
Actually come to think of it, yeah, and wasnt he the one that said that we were really unhelpful, and unwelcoming?
I was going to leave that out, but that is also true :P None the less, Neil's post was very entertaining sure, but i thought it was a tad too hardcore anti-Jasotharan and a tad contradictory given Vaughans posting past...

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Travis_Teh said:
I was going to leave that out, but that is also true :P None the less, Neil's post was very entertaining sure, but i thought it was a tad too hardcore anti-Jasotharan and a tad contradictory given Vaughans posting past...
How embarrassing...

Travis_Teh

International Regular
I did a search on his past posts to indeed see if I mixed the poor young fellow up with someone else... alas I didn't.

As Mr Nayak pointed out he was the man who said the place was unwelcoming, and 'good luck' in finding help around the place.

Regardless of which, I go back to my first point - that the article was a bit harsh on Jasotharan in context with using Vaughan as the 'outstanding comparision'. As the green thread and the team naming thread are riddled with Haddin saying that he is a keeper why isn't he keeping, he should be elevated to the opening of the batting, his 100 on debut 'wasn't spectacular' so on and so forth. .... which is not too disimiliar to Jasotharan.

That's all i'm saying, really.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
It looks like Ben Vaughn in the new Wilson to Neil.

Neil scares me.

Oh, and with the age thing, if a thirteen yr old was any good, he'd definitely be playing in either an U-16s or U-18s comp surely.

But nonetheless, good article Neil.

cricketboy29

International Regular
age_master said:
no its still not a patch on Jasotharan.
I think Jaso should get points for his stamina:p and his tireless dedication to proclaiming his gifts, but i also think the haddin and bobisback have had their 'jaso' moments, especially in the beggining, when they were starting out.

Last edited:

Travis_Teh

International Regular
cricketboy29 said:
I think Jaso should get points for his stamina:p and his tireless dedication to procliaming his gifts, but i also think the haddin and bobisback have had their 'jaso' moments, especially in the beggining, when they were starting out.
So true, Jaso should be rewarded in some way for the entertainment he brings us :( What a guy :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Coach lambasts fielding

By Barsha Hoghle

Coach Agarwal praised the performance of the guys on the field, specially Pickup but did not resort to any diplomacy while answering the questions on fielding. "It was pathetic. We we on top on the first inning and let Australia come back into the match. We gave an inspired batting performance despite the middle order not holding good in the second inning. Then Pickup's bowling saw the drop of Langer. It was a case of what could have been. Catches win matches is an old adage in cricket. Well, we are showing improvements in every department but despite efforts, the general negligence with regards to fielding exists. Poor fielding, specially due to careless ness will not be tolerated. I am willing to support players to the hilt, but not in situations like this. Fielding practise hours have been doubled now. However, performances are not coming in this regard. Innovative measures to not make the drills boring have also been adopted. I can take a horse to the well but not make it drink water if it does not want to.

Fielding performances in the next match and beyond will be looked at much more strictly by me. If players show negligence in this department, we can forget competing properly in this tour and the world cup. It is an area in which any one can improve in with effort. Hell, even Sidhu did latter in his career."

A fuming Agarwal walked out of the press conference saying the above.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Cricket Web XI - A Nation On The Rise
by Berry True

The youngest Test nation against one of the greatest – the tag line to a classic mismatch. When the Cricket Web XI arrived in Australia the expectations of the viewing public could not have amounted to much in terms of success for the visitors. Fielding a record of 9 Test wins in 56 tries is hardly impressive after all.

It is for this reason that the statements made by allrounder Liam Camps heading into the series were so outstanding. The veteran of 23 Tests commented upon arrival, “Things are looking up. We’ve been playing good cricket lately, and we’re not far off a world class Test match team.”

Simple and concise and yet lambasted by many in the media as optimistic and hopeful. An investigation into the recent Test form of the Cricket Web XI finds some truthful backing, however.

Before the impressive showing by the CW XI in the first Test against Australia, the Webheads had gone four Tests without defeat. This in itself is an achievement, but that they beat and drew with England and dominated both Tests in the West Indies only furthers the notion of a nation on the rise.

In a 123-run win over the Englishmen at home, the CW XI had an historic victory and one which was greatly celebrated. First by the fans and the press, then by the players themselves in a tidy drawn result to complete the 5-Test series. It was a refreshing showing of character and consistency previously absent from the long game in CWLand.

The performance built upon a substantial 2-Test sweep in Sri Lanka a series before it. With two innings-wins, the whitewash of Sri Lanka was the centrepiece of a rich vein of form for CW Test cricket. The total record stands at 3 wins, 3 losses, and 4 drawn results in 10 the Tests leading to the WACA. Not bad at all, especially in the context of just 6 wins from the other 46 Tests.

So what is it that has inspired this recent surge of form? It all seems to root to a very simple and natural progression. Like any sporting team or nation, the Cricket Web XI has had to take time to settle amongst its contemporaries. New Zealand went years without a Test win, and though the CW XI scored their maiden win in just their second Test, it was followed by the same sort of adjustment and waiting period.

Names such as Richard Twyman, John “Eddie” Sanders, and Simon Fitzsimmons may not be remembered as all-time greats in the grand context of the sport, but in CW cricket, these are immortals. Only Fitzsimmons remains a professional of that trio, though he was discarded from the team in recent times.

These players may never have produced great statistics to match the likes of Lara, Tendulkar and Warne, but they have served their country admirably and set the platform for true superstars to emerge. The CW XI is a team that has finally found an identity and with it, some consistency in selection. Players have evidently begun to understand their role and accept the greater comfort that comes with such a realization.

For years the only true world class player in the team was Andrew Cloete, but with the elevation of David Kennett to number 9 in the Test bowling rankings at the start of 2013, it became clear that the premise was changing. Now names such as Nathan Hoy, Thamba Mamesh, Chris Butler and many others have been entered as bright prospects on the path to world class status.

Talent has never been the question asked of Cricket Web cricket. So regularly it has been just about everything else that was lacking in sufficient supply – leadership, cohesiveness, consistency. Brendan Goff has come of age as a batsman and as a captain. With his place now stable in the team, he has more forcefully applied himself to the leadership role.

Working alongside the new coach – Pratyush Agarwal – and under a revamped CWBCC, it appears the problems at the top have been resolved for the moment.

Firm leadership is the start, and the promise of a new generation of Cricket Web cricketers is ample fuel for further progress. If the recent performance against Australia is not enough to suggest that ascendency is not far off, this bunch of cricketers will be sure to address the world the second time around, when they take the field in Adelaide.

Statistics for the 10 Tests prior to the WACA Test match

- 16 players used.
- 3 players debuted in the period.
- 5 players (Cloete, Butler, Camps, Goff, Mørk) average in excess of 40 runs per innings

Code:
		[B]M	I	NO	Runs	Avge	50	100	HS[/B]
L.A. Camps	8	12	5	434	62.00	2	1	113*
B.C. Cunningham	3	6	1	128	25.60	1	0	72
A.P. Cloete	10	17	0	838	49.29	7	1	113
B.J. Goff	10	17	0	685	40.29	2	2	152
C.R. Butler	10	17	1	692	43.25	5	1	121
H. Mørk		10	18	1	711	41.82	4	0	88
D.A. Kearsley	8	15	2	392	30.15	2	1	107
M.J. Robbins	7	11	0	291	26.45	4	0	75
P.E. Young	8	14	1	340	26.15	3	0	74
D.M. Kennett	9	14	2	51	4.25	0	0	14
K.S. Wright	10	14	1	36	2.77	0	0	13
N.S. Pickup	8	12	5	44	6.29	0	0	36
T.C. Halsey	2	2	0	14	7.00	0	0	11
D.P. Richards	1	1	0	5	5.00	0	0	5
T. Mamesh	2	4	0	143	35.75	1	0	80
N.S. Hoy	2	3	0	116	38.67	1	0	69		
		[B]M	Overs	W	Runs	Avge	5w	10w	BB	SR	Econ[/B]
L.A. Camps	8	182.66	14	662	47.29	0	0	3/60	78.28	3.62
B.C. Cunningham	3	102	8	306	38.25	0	0	2/75	76.50	3.00
N.S. Hoy	2	96.33	8	212	26.50	0	0	4/81	72.25	2.20
A.P. Cloete	10	41	3	90	30.00	0	0	2/23	82.00	2.20
D.A. Kearsley	8	9	0	32	#DIV/0!	0	0	0/13	#DIV/0!	3.56
M.J. Robbins	7	163.8	11	414	37.64	0	0	4/65	89.35	2.53
D.M. Kennett	7	401.33	47	1086	23.11	3	1	6/40	51.23	2.71
K.S. Wright	10	426.66	31	1273	41.06	0	0	4/38	82.58	2.98
N.S. Pickup	8	394	35	1079	30.83	1	0	5/74	67.54	2.74
T.C. Halsey	2	41.8	7	115	16.43	1	0	5/56	35.83	2.75
D.P. Richards	1	72	5	142	28.40	0	0	3/78	86.40	1.97

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Good write up... still not happy with only 4 scores of 50+ in 17 Innings.. Need to rectify that...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pratyush said:
Coach lambasts fielding

By Barsha Hoghle

Coach Agarwal praised the performance of the guys on the field, specially Pickup but did not resort to any diplomacy while answering the questions on fielding. "It was pathetic. We we on top on the first inning and let Australia come back into the match. We gave an inspired batting performance despite the middle order not holding good in the second inning. Then Pickup's bowling saw the drop of Langer. It was a case of what could have been. Catches win matches is an old adage in cricket. Well, we are showing improvements in every department but despite efforts, the general negligence with regards to fielding exists. Poor fielding, specially due to careless ness will not be tolerated. I am willing to support players to the hilt, but not in situations like this. Fielding practise hours have been doubled now. However, performances are not coming in this regard. Innovative measures to not make the drills boring have also been adopted. I can take a horse to the well but not make it drink water if it does not want to.

Fielding performances in the next match and beyond will be looked at much more strictly by me. If players show negligence in this department, we can forget competing properly in this tour and the world cup. It is an area in which any one can improve in with effort. Hell, even Sidhu did latter in his career."

A fuming Agarwal walked out of the press conference saying the above.
:laugh: