• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Chubb

International Regular
I know, but there are quite a few better players than me who didn't play yesterday because of exams, and there aren't any this Sunday. Obviously, the rest of the team didn't perform very well either, so I may still play.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
3-0-8-2 today as my school side progressed into the second round of the county cup. Our Cheshire number three bat smashed 64* off 48 balls including taking 22 off the last over, guess who was doing the running at the other end!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Today, I got a cricket ball in the forehead from three yards. Doing fielding drills, 3 lines of 3 fielders, I was in the front row, missed a catch and ended up facing backwards, guy behind me fielded it and threw it back to the guy hitting catches, failing to allow for the fact that I was standing in the way. Needless to say, I just got on with it...

Yesterday, the Uni boys lost by five wickets to Exeter School, and our under-strength U13s racked up 194-1 against Cullompton, winning by 120.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jungle Jumbo said:
3-0-8-2 today as my school side progressed into the second round of the county cup. Our Cheshire number three bat smashed 64* off 48 balls including taking 22 off the last over, guess who was doing the running at the other end!
If he took 22 from the over, I guess there wasn't much running involved?

Steulen

International Regular
marc71178 said:
You try running five 3's and a 7. You'd be knackered too.

funny, those small font extras popping up all over the place

open365

Jungle Jumbo said:
Very good figures, i hope you do well. Look out for a school called Birdale, we just got smashed with one lad getting 122*.

More school games

open365

Whoo, i just got a call from the 4th team captain asking if i could play tommorow to which i said yes.

My finger has recovered which i can't believe as i disloacted it 7 days ago.

Jungle Jumbo

Neil Pickup said:
Today, I got a cricket ball in the forehead from three yards. Doing fielding drills, 3 lines of 3 fielders, I was in the front row, missed a catch and ended up facing backwards, guy behind me fielded it and threw it back to the guy hitting catches, failing to allow for the fact that I was standing in the way. Needless to say, I just got on with it...

Yesterday, the Uni boys lost by five wickets to Exeter School, and our under-strength U13s racked up 194-1 against Cullompton, winning by 120.
I assume you had several retirees. I thought you were the one who hated this sort of thing... equality in cricket and all that.

Marc71178 said:
I found out today it was 20. You try backing up by two thirds of the pitch in the heat.

We agreed on the last ball we'd run for anything, even if it went to the keeper, but it was a wide and I ended up scrambling back from virtually the other end to make my ground.

Should have a game tomorrow, but weather is dodgy.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We had three retirees - that game was no good for anybody, except possibly our new bowlers playing their first games.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I thought you might have been bowling :ph34r:

(I say this...and I've never seen you bowl!) :unsure:

Chubb

International Regular
Today, I earned myself £60 for umpiring two UEA cricket matches.

As I suspected, I was dropped from the IIs. However, I was going to go to the match to take some photographs. Last night, however, I received an email asking me to umpire the first team match that was taking place on the other pitch.

The firsts were playing Derby, and Derby were dreadful. They had come all the way from the north with just nine players, and the UEA bowled them out for 49. The match started at 12.30 and was over by 2.30, with the UEA winning by nine wickets. I had to give the captain of the firsts out lbw- it was plumb, but he didn't agree. It may not have been a good idea to give it!

With that match over, I took some photos of the IIs game- they were playing Nottingham University IIIs, and the visitors racked up 259-9 off their fifty overs. I was asked to umpire the second innings, and I agreed, because then I could bill the union for two matches- £60 instead of £30. The UEA were hardly strengthened by the rejigged lineup, however, and subsided to 33-6 before some stonewalling took them to 103a/o. The fact is that the UEA just isn't very good at any sport, at least not in sufficient depth to compete. I don't think they've ever won anything.

Easiest £60 I've ever made!

Attachments

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
It all seemed a bit pointless joining the uni team as I knew id be playing for my club in the summer and i cant stand indoor cricket, its just not the same (obviously lol).
Chubb, U dont know a guy called adam who goes to nets? Big guy, black beard, possibly crap:laugh: Hes the only guy I know who plays, though I dont think he plays in the team...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Chubb said:
Today, I earned myself £60 for umpiring two UEA cricket matches.

Easiest £60 I've ever made!
You got 60 quid and they allowed you to umpire dressed like that!!

A dark top and white trousers! Should be the other way around...What ever happened to standards? The sky is going to fall on our heads and the Rapture is approaching :)

Chubb

International Regular
Goughy said:
You got 60 quid and they allowed you to umpire dressed like that!!

A dark top and white trousers! Should be the other way around...What ever happened to standards? The sky is going to fall on our heads and the Rapture is approaching :)
er... I took the picture, Goughy. That isn't me in the photo.

Albo, your description doesn't ring any bells, maybe he's in the 1st team net.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interesting game in the Devon Inter-District U15 competion today...

East 400/6 [50] - Bess 175 (143), Smith 112 (98)
North 178/9 [50]

We added 236 for the first wicket... interests me to bring back our discussion about retiring batsmen with reference to today. It was suggested to me (as East manager) that I might've retired Bess at some point - thinking back on it, I would do the same again. Thoughts?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The idea of retiring batsmen sounds very English, I can't imagine that sort of thing happening in Australia. We all know which of these respective two countries punches way above their weight in sport... (except when it comes to cricket, football, rugby union obviously)

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
ah he mite hav given it up, havent seen him in a while. So how come you play for hutton at the moment? Bit of a long way when theres so many teams near here?

Chubb

International Regular
albo97056 said:
ah he mite hav given it up, havent seen him in a while. So how come you play for hutton at the moment? Bit of a long way when theres so many teams near here?
My family play for Hutton, basically they get me the games.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
YEh im sure ive played hutton at some point, tho their 3rds probably r in a higher division, but hav a feeling I played them last season. Good team and nice blokes from what I remember. Shame our club isnt doing as well as them...