• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kapugedera dropped by Freddie, Cricinfo says it was a sitter.

If Sri Lanka are going to have any chance of drawing this match, they really need to bat until tea, because with Flintoff and and Pietersen in the team, any relatively low score could conceivably be chased down fairly quickly. I reckon they'll need a lead anywhere upwards of 180 by tea if they want to be safe.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
andyc said:
Kapugedera dropped by Freddie, Cricinfo says it was a sitter.

If Sri Lanka are going to have any chance of drawing this match, they really need to bat until tea, because with Flintoff and and Pietersen in the team, any relatively low score could conceivably be chased down fairly quickly. I reckon they'll need a lead anywhere upwards of 180 by tea if they want to be safe.
England chasing 180 in a session would be very interesting indeed. :)

Scaly piscine

JASON said:
No doubt as to which is the better team. But I would prefer it if the better Team makes its own luck without being aided by others .

You don't need other assistance to help the second best Team in the World thrash the 7th ranked Team. The contest becomes even more lopsided when luck goes one way more than the other , when the gap between Teams is significant !!
If SL had batted first and been annihilated by the early movement, which then went when England came into bat you'd have been saying how lucky England were there as well. There have been a few shouts turned down that could/should have been given out but weren't when England bowled, but of course you won't remember those.

Steulen

International Regular
cricinfo said:
Plunkett to Dilshan, OUT, Gone! got his man! on a length, around the off stump and shaping away off the seam. Dilshan had to play at it and he did but was beaten by the seam movement and the ball kisses the outside edge and goes straight into the waiting palms of Trescothick at first slip. Er... England take a catch!
:laugh:

JBH001

International Regular
Damn, Dilshan out after a good knock - not enough though.

Hmmm shouldnt take too long now, I think.

Last edited:

andyc

Only the weather can save Sri Lanka now. Pity really, but I guess England deserve to win it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, I cannot begrudge Sri Lanka the draw. I said that I fancied them for it, but I didn't really believe it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Well, I cannot begrudge Sri Lanka the draw. I said that I fancied them for it, but I didn't really believe it.
I never fancied them for it, but all credit to them. Fantastic rearguard.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
To be honest LE , England deserve to win this Test, they are far and away the Superior Team and the quality in the team is unbelievable . (Except when they dropped a few catches yesterday)

It will be cruelty in itself if SL drew this one from no where.
No England didn't deserve to win this one. They dominated the test for first 2 days, since then it has been SriLankan fighting back to save the test and they have done it really well.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yep fantastic performance by the Sri Lankans, couldn't see it after day 2 but they defied the odds. They'll be very high in confidence now going into the second test and there'll be some sore limbs in the england camp tomorrow.

simmy

International Regular
Strange test match.

Went from exhilirating to one-sided to boring to just plain frustrating!!

England will be gutted about their missed chances but the bowlers can hang their heads up high. Without exception they all grafted and bowled really well.

I'm going to make a statement here, that probably won't go down too well... I reckon that the amount of playing and missing is due to Sri Lanka's, especially their lower order's, inability to edge it! I mean if we look back at the last test series in England.. the Aussies were edging every other ball.

In a way, I think some of the seam bowling was far too good for them.

Well grafted though from SL, although I still don't think they deserve anything out of the game!

James

Cricket Web Owner
10 dropped catches from England tells its own story.

Good stuff from Sri Lanka, nice to see some fight from them.

PY

International Coach
Freddie becomes first England paceman to send down 50 overs in an innings since 1993.

So much for looking after himself! :(

Congrats to SL, an awesome effort to scrape themselves out of a very deep pit. England seem to have problems finishing tails off (i.e. Simon Jones is injured), we shot through the top order first time round and had SL in all sorts of trouble and the tail pulled a rabbit out the hat and batted for about 70 overs worth of balls in total.

Last edited:

simmy

International Regular
PY said:
Freddie becomes first England paceman to send down 50 overs in an innings since 1993.

So much for looking after himself! :(

Congrats to SL, an awesome effort to scrape themselves out of a very deep pit. England seem to have problems finishing tails off (i.e. Simon Jones is injured), we shot through the top order relatively quickly both times.
He needed to bowl more... especially at Murali towards the end.

As they are friends, Murali's ego might have got the better of him.

PY

International Coach
simmy said:
He needed to bowl more... especially at Murali towards the end.

As they are friends, Murali's ego might have got the better of him.
Not after Fred walloped him for six in England's innings then walked off. :laugh:

simmy

International Regular
James said:
10 dropped catches from England tells its own story.

Good stuff from Sri Lanka, nice to see some fight from them.
If two drops from Collingwood wasn't strange enough, KP was the "safe pair of hands"... MENTAL!!