• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Disappointing, but understandable.

The county sides are all about Championship success, so with so many games, they will rest a lot of players.

It can work the other way though, those on the verge of a place can potentially break in with a big game, I think Yardy did last year, so they will probably be making more effort than if the "first" team were playing.
I particularly liked the fact that they picked a 16-year-old who had to ask for time off from GCSE revision.

adharcric

International Coach
Malinga must have sealed his selection now.
Tharanga, Vandort, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Dilshan, Samaraweera, Kapugedera, Maharoof, Vaas, Muralitharan, Malinga

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
adharcric said:
Tharanga, Vandort, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Dilshan, Samaraweera, Kapugedera, Maharoof, Vaas, Muralitharan, Malinga

I like that team, atleast Mubarak is not there.. geeeez he is hopeless..

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I particularly liked the fact that they picked a 16-year-old who had to ask for time off from GCSE revision.
who would that be then? are you sure you're not getting confused with James Iles at Kent?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
I like that Team except for Vandort , who after a pair against England A , only managed 44 against this weak Sussex attack in the first innings and was out for 1 in the second innings.

Sanath J has to come in at least for Edgbaston . (there is no games between Edgbaston and Trentbridge Tests ) .

The other spot I am not convinced about is Maharoof . I would be tempted to pick Nuwan Zoysa over Maharoof. (He is a reasonable batsman as well who can make a 20 or 30 like Maharoof and IMO offers more in terms of his bowling over Maharoof ) .

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
I like that Team except for Vandort , who after a pair against England A , only managed 44 against this weak Sussex attack in the first innings and was out for 1 in the second innings.

Sanath J has to come in at least for Edgbaston . (there is no games between Edgbaston and Trentbridge Tests ) .

The other spot I am not convinced about is Maharoof . I would be tempted to pick Nuwan Zoysa over Maharoof. (He is a reasonable batsman as well who can make a 20 or 30 like Maharoof and IMO offers more in terms of his bowling over Maharoof ) .
yeah, I'd pick Zoysa instead of Maharoof also.

adharcric

International Coach
dinu23 said:
yeah, I'd pick Zoysa instead of Maharoof also.
yeah, especially since maharoof/zoysa will bat at #8 and thus the batting isnt as important as it would be at #7. still, it seems like maharoof is the future and they'll stick with him.

nickysumpton

Cricket Spectator
adharcric said:
yeah, especially since maharoof/zoysa will bat at #8 and thus the batting isnt as important as it would be at #7. still, it seems like maharoof is the future and they'll stick with him.
I saw Maharoof at Lords and he scraped his way to 50, he played and missed at Hoggard countless times and didnt look as though he could do much with the bat, he hasnt really impressed me with the ball either, play Zoysa.

Lostman

State Captain
maharoof is better than Zoysa, Zosa has got countless chances in the last decade and has done nothing with it. Hopefully his noball problem will be fixed by the time the 2nd test starts.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
As A Sri Lankan fan one has to be interested in the weather all the time !!:laugh:

May I ask from any local down M6 way (is it M6 to Birmingham? :unsure: I remember the radio 5 transport correspondant mentioning the spaghetti junction at Birmingham during my good old days in the UK few years back :laugh: ) , What the weather forecast for the Test is like ? or is it too early ?

My prediction is for an early season seaming pitch at Edgbaston .

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
zoysa must play .... i think Zoysa is better than Maharoof.... but both should play...

Tharanga
Jayasuriya
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Dilshan
Samaraweera
Maharoof
Vaas
Zoysa
Malinga
Murali

Zoysa adds extra bounce and seam

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I know it's harsh to downplay Harmison Scaly, but he was also a quality bowler in that series.
Nah, Scaly was right about Harmy being pants for most of the series.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Laurrz said:
zoysa must play .... i think Zoysa is better than Maharoof.... but both should play...

Tharanga
Jayasuriya
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Dilshan
Samaraweera
Maharoof
Vaas
Zoysa
Malinga
Murali

Zoysa adds extra bounce and seam
Welcome to CW forum Laurrz . I am guessing Dandy is Dandenong , Am I correct ?

(Also a warm welcome to nickysumpton too to CW )

Anyway I don't think Maharoof's scratchy batting makes him a genuine all rounder or for that matter worthy of No 7 spot. (particularly more so in a batting line up like SL which often struggles ).

And his bowling has so far not given any suggestion of being worthy of inclusion on the merits of it alone. So I certainly would not pick him over Kapugedera at 7, but Moody is a different kettle of fish , so we shall wait and see .

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Forecast is actually reasonably dry - but cloud cover almost certain, and rain's been pelting the country for the last week - so it'll seam around, and yes, Vandort will get nothing.