• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

US$5 Million Twenty20 Match

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that, in addition, all the cricketers involved will remain the same age for ever more whilst an image of the game (or rather the players depicted within), painted by Jack Russell, will remarkably seem to age instead.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Surely the money should go to a charity or something. It's rediculous that the respective cricket boards or players, who are already on a handsome paycheck, should get a massive boost just because of one game. And why those two teams?

Why don't both teams agree to give the money to the Indonisian Earthquake appeal

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Firstly, I have nothing against cricketers getting paid for their efforts. This sum is big but there is nothing wrong with that. It is not like they are stealing the money and I see no logical reason why a professional athlete should be forced to give their earnings to a charity. This is what they do to make a living. It is their job.

Also from what I am hearing from the South African side is that if they win the players will take 30% and the UCB will take the rest to cover costs and reinvest.

So rather than a team splitting 5mil it would wokout that if they won each SA player would take home $136 000. Great money for a days work but they are hardly likely to give Bill Gates a run for his money.

pasag

RTDAS
The main problem with sportsmen getting paid huge sums is that quite a few don't know what to do with it turning to gambling and other spending sprees which can adversly affect their cricketing. Like in the NBA. However, I think cricketers are older, smarter and maturer than in other sports that are dominated by youth. Also there are alot of fathers.

In looking out for the players welfare, it would be smarter to put it in a trust fund for them after they retire when I am sure they will need it much more.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
In looking out for the players welfare, it would be smarter to put it in a trust fund for them after they retire when I am sure they will need it much more.
Im sure they appreciate the concern.
The last thing the world needs is more beauracracy and people telling others what they can do and what they should do.

Athletes can do what they want with their cash because of the simple fact that it is theirs. If they act like idiots that is their problem and noone elses.

I know what I would tell you if you started to tell me what to do with my money and began to structure my life without being asked. Why should atheletes be any different.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You guys know, that if we (US) ever get seriously involved in cricket, this is what it will be, right? Likely, the tournaments in the US will be 20/20, and if they offer paychecks of $5-6million/year, who will play test matches?

Though, I dont think it will ever take off here...but I'm just saying.

pasag

RTDAS
But how many careers go down the drain in American sports becuase of the abundant cash players have? This problem will be seen in cricket if we start having 5 million dollar games.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
pasag said:
But how many careers go down the drain in American sports becuase of the abundant cash players have? This problem will be seen in cricket if we start having 5 million dollar games.

A lot, but thats just human nature. And $5million isn't a lot. I would bet that if Cricket becomes big, we can see $20-$40 million games. If a club in New York ever offers Ponting a $10 million/year contract to play year around...would he play test cricket in Aus?

howardj

International Coach
pasag said:
However, I think cricketers are older, smarter and maturer than in other sports that are dominated by youth. Also there are alot of fathers.

...like Warney.

Good, responsible, salt of the earth, family men.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Zero. You are looking in the wrong places. It is a cultural thing, closely linked to background and upbringing. Beleive me, if you spent any time at with a Junior College basketball team you would realize the money at a higher level is just a vehicle for a motley crew of thugs, idiots, egotistical fools etc to express themselves.

The money is not the problem, they characters and personalities of the atheletes are.