• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in West Indies

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
You what?

There is a big difference between watching the play and knowing what is going on, as to something like that incident, when we do not know what was said.
Nothing was said any way :) :) :) :)

the problem was with his action which any one could see with thier eyes

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I haven't read the debate over the issue in this thread, but Lara is very very very lucky to get away with no punishment. It was quite ridiculous really.

I'd like to see what would have happened had it been Ganguly who snatched the ball from the umpire's hand and behaved like Lara did.

That being said, still love Lara, but he behaved in a very ordinary manner IMO.

biased indian

International Coach
Cricinfo :::::::

what sort of spirit allows the captain of a side to snatch the ball from an umpire's hand? What sort of spirit allows him to wag a finger at the umpire? The irony is that the ICC penalises the captain twice as much as the players in cases of slow over-rate, but has allowed Lara to get away with this. Had the match been more delicately poised, Dhoni would probably not have walked at all. But again, one can only analyse events that happened. It is reliably learnt that Dhoni eventually walked off the field, not because he agreed with the decision, but because he felt that he shouldn't create a fuss when a great player like Lara is taking such a strong stand. Here is a batsman, who might not have been out, who might well have deserved the benefit of the doubt, deciding to go off because of the stature of the opponent. Now you decide which part of the whole issue was ridiculous

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh and I fail to see how anyone could argue that there wasn't any inconsistency with Sehwag being fined yet Lara isn't. And Marc, your argument that we weren't there, and we must believe that Lara didn't act poorly because the umpires didn't see fit to fine him is fairly naieve.

So let me get this straight, a player can simply brush or signal for their forearm to show that they actually didn't hit the ball, and will be fined for dissent. They can signal to the dressing room to a player they just goto ut, and will be fined. Yet if they argue with the umpire and simply act in a very childish and stupid manner, they'll be let off.

Right.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
Yeah when it's a fine edge you should look back. Just wondering, do they actually punish you for example if the ball is caught at backwards point and you don't look back at the umpire? That was the situation I was referring to more.
Well I'm not sure if it's quite that blatant. However, I agree with you that such a situation is ridiculous.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Sanz said:
I am sure good old Marcus will as usual continue to declare Lara as not guilty and unbiased Liam wll continue to justify whatever he has been saying. ;)
Phonice empower, man.
You'll find your stay on CW much more enriching when you learn to read.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Sanz said:
Dont say a word Adharcric, Liam is so objective that he can see Lara doing nothing wrong. All the WI newspapers reports are wrong. Lara was so polite to Rauf, Lara requested Rauf that if he could take the ball and get on with the game, how could you miss that. :-O :-O
Thanks.

Now show me where I defended Lara's manner or where I said he shouldn't be fined.

Phonics empower. Whoa.

More tears please.

Mr Mxyzptlk

honestbharani said:
I am not so sure. I don't see how Lara could have been sure unless Ganga told him so. It would be interesting to hear what Ganga has to say on this issue. That would clarify a lot of things.
Well, Lara could have been sure of what happened purely because he wanted to be. It's not that farfetched.

That said, I can't support that opinion and maintain my bias. :(

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I thought you wanted a friend.

Are you rejecting me? :(
Nice way of ducking the bouncer...Again If you were not defending Lara, then what were you arguing about ?

Fusion

Global Moderator
I really don't get the people defending Lara. Even his most loyal fans (and I consider myself a Lara fan) should be able to accept that his behavior was not perfect. He reacted childishly, which was all the more shocking coming from him. Which brings up another point. It's not like Lara is known as a whiny/disrespectful player. He had a bad moment. As long as an incident like this doesn't repeat itself, his somewhat dented reputation will eventually be repaired. Why can't we agree that Lara is human and made a mistake? Now let's give him another chance and see what happens from here. Let's just all move on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fact is, if it wasn't Lara, but instead Ganguly, Smith or Ponting he'd have received a fair bit more criticism than he did.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pathan in for Sreesnath, Collins and Taylor in for Edwards and Dave as India win the toss and bat first.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
To add to andy's comments.. i would like to add that Harbajan Singh misses out yet again. grrr would have liked to see him, i think he can do a far decent job than VRV..

adharcric

International Coach
marc71178 said:
If he was so bad, how come the objects of him being so bad didn't see fit to report him?
Good job, you just restated the question that we've all been debating here, with the knowledge that the case is true. Stop making a fool of yourself ... and in case you didn't watch the controversy carefully, stop making a fool of yourself.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed, bit surprised Harbhajan isn't in. I think it's a bit tough on Dave too, especially given his 50 which almost saved the match for the Windies.