• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Top End Series

howardj

International Coach
I'll say it now - Phil Jacques (as Steve Waugh recently stated) should be playing in this summer's Ashes series. I'd have him in place of Justin Langer. It's romantic to have the old guard trying to regain the Ashes, but I think sentiment should give way to current ability.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
I'll say it now - Phil Jacques (as Steve Waugh recently stated) should be playing in this summer's Ashes series. I'd have him in place of Justin Langer. It's romantic to have the old guard trying to regain the Ashes, but I think sentiment should give way to current ability.
JL's still going well at the top of the order though. Like I said before, I reckon playing him in the middle order, which is hardly settled, would be the best bet.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Langer is still one of the finest openers in the world. It was only one season ago that he was our best batsman in the Ashes, and dominated Pakistan and New Zealand at home in tests. Jaques will get his chance after Langer retires, or if he has an extended period of poor form, but that's it.

Jaques has after all had two tests to make his claim while Langer was injured, and didn't really do a great deal in them. If he'd made 199 then he would have had a good claim, but for now he's on the outer until one of the current openers is displaced, just like Haddin, Cosgrove, Birt and the others who are making a claim.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, undeniably, JL's form in the past couple of years has been stellar. However, I don't know if I'd go back too far, in evaluating a 36 year old batsman. In his last five Test Matches (all against South Africa) JL averages 31. Furthermore, he averages 24 for Somerset this season.

That may be suggestive of terminal decline, or it may well not. But the broader point is that older players can deteriorate fairly rapidly. And, I think I'm right in saying that hardly one long term opener for Australia has lasted as long as Langer - it's a tough gig at that age. Now, you're probably right that he should be selected for the 'Gabba, but I do think his position should be closely monitored.

Anyway, back on topic...

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
You know that average at Somerset is from one match, right? He's only played one FC game because they've been playing 20/20, where I believe he is one of the highest runscorers in the country.

Anyway, you're right about a possible decline, but those last 5 tests were severely hampered by injury. If he has a bad Ashes he may well be dropped, but I think he's still one of our key batsmen.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Isn’t Shaun Marsh the fellow that Steve Waugh said would be playing test cricket by the time his 23?

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
You know that average at Somerset is from one match, right? .
Yeah, I do know that - was hoping you wouldn't notice. I was just following the time-honoured C/Web tradition of distorting stats to my advantage. :cool:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Isn’t Shaun Marsh the fellow that Steve Waugh said would be playing test cricket by the time his 23?
That's the one. I don't know about the 23 remark, but he said he was the best young batsman he'd ever seen, or something along those lines.

Sw1fty

School Boy/Girl Captain
A bludgeoning Jesse Ryder has helped guide the New Zealand A side to a massive nine wicket one-day win against an Indian academy side in Brisbane.

The New Zealanders have chased down 225 in just 24 overs to secure two bonus points which leaves them with an outside chance of making the series final.

Ryder struck a massive 144 off just 72 balls, including 16 fours and 9 sixes.

He was assisted by an unbeaten 66 from Jamie How in a double century opening stand.

Meanwhile, rain has once again wiped out a day's play for New Zealand A "White" in Cairns.

Their four day match against Pakistan A has now been abandoned and will be replaced by two 50-over matches today and tomorrow.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For someone so aggressive, he's been extremely consistent through-out the Top End series. I believe he's also struggling from injury.

We're going to be in good hands at the top of the order if Ryder & Ross Taylor progress (fingers crossed).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jacques must be given an extended run in the test team - whether in place of Martyn or Clarke is irrelevant. He's scoring mountains of runs and they havent been.

Selectors found out what misplaced loyalty achieves on the Ashes tour.

Haddin

U19 Debutant
Sorry everyone, I forgot. If anyone didn't know, India "A" won by 3 wickets. It was very close, India choked and nearly lost the game.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Watson has two wickets before tea on the second day against India A. He's had a massive Top End Series, and has been among the top wicket takers or runscorers in every match so far. Australia A declared at 4/461, and India A are 3/109 in reply.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
thedarkmullet said:
Ryder/Taylor
Hopefully in the same vein as Vincent but with more consistancy.
Yeah, for sure. I hope the selectors put both of them in the team relatively quickly. I think they would benefit from playing a few years alongside Fleming and Astle, and the like. Older players to show those guys the ropes.

If we wait too long to put them in the team we could have a similar situation to what we had in the mid 90's with Flem, McMillan, Nash and such, guys with a bit of talent that don't reach their potential cos there was no established older players to show them around.

look at the Aussies. They mostly have older players but they stuck in that Micheal Clarke for the next generation. The All Blacks do the same. The youngsters always come in with plenty of old heads around them to guide them. If we wait a few years then Flem and Astle and maybe bond will have retired.