• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in England

Craig

World Traveller
I may be wrong, and I probably am but does any else find it a little bit concerning that apaprt from the two century makers no body gets past 50? They all make the traditional start between 20-49 and throw it away (although there are times when the bowling is very good).

Xuhaib

International Coach
Worst Pak prformance in the last 12 months, just goes to show the lack of depth when Inzi and Yousuf dont deliver. Akmal was made the sacrifical lamb and he should never open again and we definatley need Shoaib back.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
social said:
Huh?

It's been proven over the years that only teams with great bowlers can get away with a 4-man attack consistently.

How many great bowlers does Eng have? None

As for Aus - playing in Sydney with McGrath and Warne at their peak is hardly a relevant argument.

Nor is the fact that Aus had Lillee and Thomson at their peak an argument for doing likewise.

Even they had good part-time back-up from Greg Chappell and Cosier AND the series was played on green-tops

What do you define as great? Flintoff and Harmison were both deemed good enough by the ICC to play in a world XI, Hoggard sits at 5th or 6th in the world, and everybody knows the damage a fit Simon Jones can do. No great bowlers? You're so anti-English that it's not even funny anymore

Goughy said:
Hmmm, thats not really a good argument against, is it?
LOL it's not my argument, I just meant that that's the one I read on here a lot - people don't want Flintoff to be part of a four-man attacks because of the whole burnout issue. My opinion is that a Flintoff/Hoggard/Harmy pace attack with Monty as the spinner would be better than any attack the Aussies could care to throw at us this winter - yes, I know they have Warne, and McGrath, but McGrath hasn't played all year, who knows if he'll be up to his usual standard, but even if he is, I would then rather have the three pacemen I mentioned than any of the other Aussie bowlers, Brett Lee, Gillespie, Clark etc etc

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
What do you define as great? Flintoff and Harmison were both deemed good enough by the ICC to play in a world XI, Hoggard sits at 5th or 6th in the world, and everybody knows the damage a fit Simon Jones can do. No great bowlers? You're so anti-English that it's not even funny anymore

LOL it's not my argument, I just meant that that's the one I read on here a lot - people don't want Flintoff to be part of a four-man attacks because of the whole burnout issue. My opinion is that a Flintoff/Hoggard/Harmy pace attack with Monty as the spinner would be better than any attack the Aussies could care to throw at us this winter - yes, I know they have Warne, and McGrath, but McGrath hasn't played all year, who knows if he'll be up to his usual standard, but even if he is, I would then rather have the three pacemen I mentioned than any of the other Aussie bowlers, Brett Lee, Gillespie, Clark etc etc
Put simply, a great bowler is someone that performs year in, year out for many years.

It is not somebody that has one or 2 great years and then succombs to a loss of form or their body giving out.

If youre seriously contemplating Eng going into, say, the first Ashes test with:

Harmy (has rarely if ever bowled 25 overs in a day);

Hoggard (totally unproven in Aus conditions);

Flintoff ("may" just be back from second major ankle injury);

Monty (complete novice and performing in a country where finger-spin has minimal impact); and

backed up by Collingwood, Bell and/or Kp then you're taking a massive risk.

You've obviously forgotten how easily both Sri Lanka and Pak batted out final days recently.

Last edited:

Nishant

International 12th Man
i think England played really well. Monty bowled extremely well and i don't see Ashley Giles into the team unless monty messes up TOO much. Monty is a crowd favourite as well, so i guess he'll be in the Ashes team.
As for G. Jones, he has to be taken out. Chris Read may not be the best wicket keeper-batsman in the game's history, but surely, he can only be better than Jones. Why not give him a chance ? Can anyone explain that?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nishant said:
i think England played really well. Monty bowled extremely well and i don't see Ashley Giles into the team unless monty messes up TOO much. Monty is a crowd favourite as well, so i guess he'll be in the Ashes team.
As for G. Jones, he has to be taken out. Chris Read may not be the best wicket keeper-batsman in the game's history, but surely, he can only be better than Jones. Why not give him a chance ? Can anyone explain that?
Read may well get his chance in the next test. According to cricinfo Geraint has broken the ring-finger on his right hand. Link here:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/story/255067.html

If he isn't dropped (or, I suppose "rested" as he's injured) now he never will be.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Put simply, a great bowler is someone that performs year in, year out for many years.

It is not somebody that has one or 2 great years and then succombs to a loss of form or their body giving out.

If youre seriously contemplating Eng going into, say, the first Ashes test with:

Harmy (has rarely if ever bowled 25 overs in a day);

Hoggard (totally unproven in Aus conditions);

Flintoff ("may" just be back from second major ankle injury);

Monty (complete novice and performing in a country where finger-spin has minimal impact); and
I certainly have to question your logic here. For you to claim that the England bowlers are not great because they havent performed in all conditions yet, and to then go back to their 4 man pace attack from the 90s and talk about how great the aussie attack was then is quite ludicrous. With the benefit of hindsight one can call both Gillespie and Mcgrath great, but only a fool would have said during the time that Gillespie was a great bowler. Nor for that matter had Mcgrath proven himself in all conditions back then, In fact it was only after the india series in 2001, that Mcgrath could even make a claim to greatness given how wretchedly poor he had been in the subcontinent before then. Your logic here is clearly flawed because bowlers dont usually become greats until well after their primes because the underlying fact is that they need to prove themselves everywhere and for a consistent period. Does that of course mean that Mcgrath, Gillespie and Warne in their primes werent that good because only one of them could claim to be great? NO.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Read may well get his chance in the next test. According to cricinfo Geraint has broken the ring-finger on his right hand. Link here:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/story/255067.html

If he isn't dropped (or, I suppose "rested" as he's injured) now he never will be.
Would anyone be surprised if our dim-witted England selectors end up picking James Foster? Certainly someone like Scyld Berry thinks so: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/07/30/scscyl30.xml

tooextracool

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I think im starting to warm up to the idea of playing 4 bowlers- Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Panesar especially if Jones and Anderon continue to be casualties. Certainly having Flintoff bat at 7 and hopefully Read at 8 would make for a very solid batting lineup, im starting to believe that our middle order of Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood and Bell is the best middle order that we've had since Thorpe last played because it is the perfect blend of strokemakers and stodgers.
I'd like England to be very flexible here however. I honestly dont see Simon Jones playing the Ashes, fit or unfit because theres no way anyone whos been out for a year is going to be able to cause too much damage. Therefore it is imperative to look at how Hoggard/Harmison/Panesar go in the warm ups and if those 3 get carted all over the park, it may make sense to go in with 5 bowlers at Brisbane. If were looking to play 5 bowlers, and if Bell keeps scoring like he has been for the rest of the summer, and Pietersen keeps batting as stupidly as he has been, surely Pietersen should be the first player for the chop?

tooextracool

International Coach
Xuhaib said:
Worst Pak prformance in the last 12 months, just goes to show the lack of depth when Inzi and Yousuf dont deliver. Akmal was made the sacrifical lamb and he should never open again and we definatley need Shoaib back.
No i think the top order Butt/Malik(if he were playing)/ Farhat etc were always going to fail and most people would have predicted it all the way back to the series in Pakistan during the winter. Razzaq isnt and never has been test class, certainly not without any footwork, and his inclusion in the side should always be questioned.

tooextracool

International Coach
pskov said:
Panesar averages 30.72 afer only 8 matches. Giles averages 39.60 after over 50. How can anyone possibly say that Giles is a better bowler than Panesar? The only thing that sould remotely have a possibiliy of keeping Giles in the team is his batting, and Monty has shown he isn't the rabbit everyone thought he would be. The fielding issue isn't as important and Monty has improved a bit, but Giles isn't a fantastic fielder by any means (he does have a good arm though) and England have actually 'hidden' Panesar fairly well in the field this summer.
Giles isnt a better bowler. Panesar has show some amazing improvement in his bowling in a very short period of time and it goes to show what putting in a lot of effort can do at the international level. He's starting to use drift in his bowling and hes also shown that he can now bowl an arm ball, which he used to get Younis Khan out to, both of which we havent seen from him until recently. Id say Giles was probably more adept at using variations of pace and flight though. However one cannot deny that the Old trafford pitch was a spinners paradise with turn AND bounce, and how in the world someone like Kaneria could bowl so poorly on it is unexplainable.

tooextracool

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Well if this post-Ashes England team are anything it's unpredictable. Lost away to Pakistan when we should have taken a 1-0 lead, and could reasonably, on form, have expected to get something out of the series. Went to India with the world and its brother seemingly expecting England to get trounced 3-0, then faced Sri Lanka at home, a series we were expected to take 2 or 3-0 and deservedly only drew.

Now I know there are two tests left and this series is not yet won. But I highly doubt anybody expected an innings victory and this match to be over by Saturday night. It's notable that Pakistan have failed to take ten wickets yet. Well done England.
Do you honestly see Pakistan taking 20 wickets with that pace attack? They havent even come close all series. Sami and razzaq are far and away not test class, and id even be more open to seeing Mushtaq Ahmad and Shahid Nazir in the side ahead of those 2.

tooextracool

International Coach
greg said:
Why should we "worry" about a four man attack involving Flintoff? Did the Australians ever worry about a four man attack involving McGrath?

I firmly believe that the fundamental reason for Flintoff being overbowled (which happened in a five man attack btw) is not because we have not got enough other bowlers in the team. It is because he is Flintoff and (since the ashes) he has been better than the others. He is the man who bowls when we need wickets and when we need to control the runs. And the main reason for that is that we haven't had a reliable spinner to take the burden off the quicks. Did he bowl too many overs at Lords? Yes. Was it because we did not have enough bowlers? No we had five. It was because England had decided it was a seam friendly wicket and for ridiculously long periods they ignored Monty. That would not and could not have happened if we had had a four man attack.
Thats actually a very interesting theory and one that i hadnt considered myself. i think the major reason why England have tried to go in with 5 bowlers in recent years is due to the lack of faith in our spin bowlers- Giles/Panesar. in Giles' case outside the subcontinent they could never be assured of him bowling 20-25 overs or so in a day unless the pitch was turning and therefore needed 4 other bowlers to share the burden. However they now need to be able to lay trust in that Panesar can do that everyday, because the fact is that their unnecessarily sacrificing an extra batsman and going in with a very long tail to allay their fears.

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I heard a certain forum member say Steve Harmison was poo, can this be confirmed?
I really wonder how this game proves so much.Even Steve Harmison commented that he'd been waiting for this sort of pitch for 8 months. Yes we all know Steve Harmison can bowl on wickets with uneven bounce, but he really needs to come to the ball on the other wickets. Furthermore i'd say that most of his wickets were down to poor batting rather than good bowling, something which he cannot be relying on down under.

tooextracool

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Before people start re-masturbating over Steve Harmison lets hope he can follow this up and not let it be his only good bowling performance in a test match for the next twelve months. Because in all honesty Andy Caddick would have got a fifer on this wicket.

Good victory though. Any one have a clue what to expect for the Headingley wicket.
i think caddick would have got 5 wickets on this wicket because compared to Harmison right now, Caddick was probably a better bowler and certainly not too bad when it came to extracting uneven bounce out of a wicket himself. If Caddick just bowled the right lengths more often hed have been one of the best bowlers around.

Steulen

International Regular
Definitely in the third innings Harmison didn't bowl at all well. The Pakistan tail insisted on hoicking practice (thank you, Mr. Sami, in particular) giving him free wickets from leg side balls that didn't deserve to be wicket-takers. You could argue he put the fear of God into them in the first innings, reaping the rewards in the third, but it was still easy money.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
if Bell keeps scoring like he has been for the rest of the summer, and Pietersen keeps batting as stupidly as he has been, surely Pietersen should be the first player for the chop?
I can't see they'd ever drop him - he kept his spot after the winter tours.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, it was broken on Friday, but I'm not sure how bad it is, since he kept yesterday, rather well (yet again) by all reports.
Surely if it's a broken finger it will affect his batting, but that doesn't seem to matter much as he spends very little time out in the middle anyway.