• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in England

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly piscine said:
Explains why in 47.4 overs he got a wicket through someone falling on their stumps, a number 8 heaving and a number 11 then doesn't it...

So how many other bowlers did even that?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
silentstriker said:
You can't give credit to his bowling for Inzi falling on the stumps and a number 8 & 11 swinging away finally getting out. Give any other bowler 47.4 overs and they'd have picked up wickets eventually.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly piscine said:
You can't give credit to his bowling for Inzi falling on the stumps and a number 8 & 11 swinging away finally getting out. Give any other bowler 47.4 overs and they'd have picked up wickets eventually.

Well considering only other spinners can bowl so many overs, you are really asking whether Giles could have done it. If Giles were here, you'd likely be looking at a lead of 125.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
He was up against 2 high class batsmen on a placid track, even Warne and Murali would have toiled for their wickets on this track.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Yet again he has out bowled what is meant to be one of the best Leg spinners in the world.

When will you get off his back Scaly? who else would you rather England played in his place as Spin bowler who could play as well or better?

Scaly piscine

silentstriker said:
Well considering only other spinners can bowl so many overs, you are really asking whether Giles could have done it. If Giles were here, you'd likely be looking at a lead of 125.

How could Giles have had less impact? Panesar got two near meaningless tailend wickets off guys who can't bat and had scored runs off him (Sami scored 18 runs against Panesar, Kaneria 11 runs) and got a bonus wicket because of Inzi making himself look like a pillock.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Yet again he has out bowled what is meant to be one of the best Leg spinners in the world.

When will you get off his back Scaly? who else would you rather England played in his place as Spin bowler who could play as well or better?
Knowing Scaly’s affection for all things Durham, Graeme Bridge.

Scaly piscine

SpaceMonkey said:

Outbowled? No he didn't, he just got an extra freebie wicket at the end - such is cricket. Also Kaneria is a pretty ordinary Test bowler from what I've seen lately.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Tbf, Panesar was England's best bowler, but that doesn't necessarily mean he bowled well. He bowled alright today, but for most of the day wasn't threatening. He's bowled alot better for England, and much of the time got less reward (like in India and the last day at Lords).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Brainless 10 minutes spoiled what could have been a really good lead.Younis and Yousuf were really special today lets hope it rains now and we can safely go to Oval with Shoaib and Asif returning and a chance to level the series.
Don’t think Pakistan should be overtly worried about defeat considering Danish Kaneria found it so easy to score (and hang around). I can not see Strauss/Fletcher being generous or even competitive if the opportunity for a declaration occurs in the second innings. I would expect England to bat out of all tomorrow and possibly Tuesday morning though that could change if KP gets going but this game looks like it will be heading only one way, unless a Pakistani bowler comes to the party for the first time this series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
Don’t think Pakistan should be overtly worried about defeat considering Danish Kaneria found it so easy to score (and hang around). I can not see Strauss/Fletcher being generous or even competitive if the opportunity for a declaration occurs in the second innings. I would expect England to bat out of all tomorrow and possibly Tuesday morning though that could change if KP gets going but this game looks like it will be heading only one way, unless a Pakistani bowler comes to the party for the first time this series.

I think Pakistan are really only hoping for a draw, unless England collapses. They are hoping to have both Asif and Akhtar for the 4th test and thats their best chance to even the series up. Not that injuries are any excuse. I never gave slack to England for the 'oh we are injured, thus we suck', and Pakistan are the same way. Great teams find a way to win even without their star players. With that said, both of these teams aren't great teams yet, so a draw will suit Pakistan fine, I think.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
Outbowled? No he didn't, he just got an extra freebie wicket at the end - such is cricket. Also Kaneria is a pretty ordinary Test bowler from what I've seen lately.
He did. There's more to being effective than just taking wickets. He might not have have dismissed him, but he troubled Yousuf consistently & (by repute) he's supposed to be a top player of spin. The Pakistanis were never able to get after him like they may've done with some of our other spinning options we've used over the years.

& The very fact he was able to bowl nearly 48 overs is handy in itself; it allowed Strauss to rotate his quicks, which is of even more importance after nearly two days in the field with a (all due respect to Colly) 3 and a half man attack.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Fusion said:
Cook quite lucky to escape serious harm when he took that tumble. Yousaf brings up his 150!
All that did at Exeter was provide half the team with opportunities to retell my incident with the fence last weekend...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
shame one of Scaly's heroes doesn't agree with him

"Monty was fantastic today," agreed Paul Collingwood, a man whose career figures were beginning to resemble your average Headingley spinner, as he finally claimed his maiden Test wicket after 381 fruitless deliveries. "To hold an end up like that on a pitch that is so slow, you really have to hold your hands up and say well bowled."

Scaly piscine

superkingdave said:
shame one of Scaly's heroes doesn't agree with him

"Monty was fantastic today," agreed Paul Collingwood, a man whose career figures were beginning to resemble your average Headingley spinner, as he finally claimed his maiden Test wicket after 381 fruitless deliveries. "To hold an end up like that on a pitch that is so slow, you really have to hold your hands up and say well bowled."
Because he's bound to go and say how toothless a certain bowler was wasn't he?

Anyway Panesar's bowling average heading back to where it belongs, mid 30s.

greg

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
Because he's bound to go and say how toothless a certain bowler was wasn't he?

Anyway Panesar's bowling average heading back to where it belongs, mid 30s.
I think there's a few test spinners around the world who would give their eyeteeth for an average of 40 at Headingley.

I'm sure Hoggard and Harmison will be pleased to know that their averages are heading back to where they belong - in the low hundreds ;)

greg

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
How could Giles have had less impact? Panesar got two near meaningless tailend wickets off guys who can't bat and had scored runs off him (Sami scored 18 runs against Panesar, Kaneria 11 runs) and got a bonus wicket because of Inzi making himself look like a pillock.
48 overs, three wickets for 180? And that's being generous.