• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Tri-Series in Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka, South Africa, India)**

James

Cricket Web Owner
Lostman said:
there is no such group called the tamil tiger youth, the tigers use children to do their fighting:dry:
From Reuters:

A threat from a group calling itself the Tamil Tiger Youth was the clinching factor in the decision to withdraw the South African cricket team from Sri Lanka, Cricket South Africa (CSA) CEO Gerald Majola said.

Majola said the team had received a direct threat early on Wednesday.

"The Tamil Tiger Youth sent an e-mail to the (South African) High Commission this morning saying that the team must come home. I've seen the e-mail."

Officials in Sri Lanka, where Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels and the military are locked in the worst fighting since a 2002 ceasefire halted a two-decade civil war, said they had never heard of a group calling itself the Tamil Tiger Youth.

Lostman

State Captain
its a fake..
There has never been a group called the tamil tiger youth. Try googling the 1st and only mention of such a group is the same article you put up.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Lostman said:
its a fake..
There has never been a group called the tamil tiger youth. Try googling the 1st and only mention of such a group is the same article you put up.
What nonsense, how do you know it's fake ?Actually it is the youth (or children, if you prefer ) wing of LTTE.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
Which brings to mind the question why they even scheduled such a long series in this time of year?

Couldn't possibly be $$$ could it?
There were series played in the same time last year and the year before in SL, Marc and they went ok, weather wise.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Lostman said:
its a fake..
Anyone with even half an idea about the SL conflict will know that its a fake !:laugh:

Obviously if you are a security firm sitting in Dubai and assessing the risk to a 3rd party 7,000 miles apart and all you have is E-mails and newspaper reports and Satellite forecasts to go by (let alone tensed cricketers already soured by a 2-0 loss ) then you would not be able to see through that or make any sense out of such E-mails. !!:) :)

Having said that SA are better off having a break given they would've struggled to win anything in this series . It would've been humiliating for them to have returned 2-0 down from tests and then return with losses to India and SL in ODIs as well.

The SA team morale is down and the last thing they needed was a bomb to increase their anxiety !

I hope they can recover from their significantly battered cricketing stuation ATM, to make a significant impact at the Champions Trophy. The likes of Graeme Smith etc. will have to get into the runs whenever they play next or their continued selection , not just of black cricketers , in the face of poor form will need to be questioned as being related to some quota system .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Anyone with even half an idea about the SL conflict will know that its a fake !

Obviously if you are a security firm sitting in Dubai and assessing the risk to a 3rd party 7,000 miles apart and all you have is E-mails and newspaper reports and Satellite forecasts to go by (let alone tensed cricketers already soured by a 2-0 loss ) then you would not be able to see through that or make any sense out of such E-mails. !!.
And I am sure you have more information on this threat sitting away in Australian continent. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Lostman

State Captain
Sanz said:
What nonsense, how do you know it's fake ?Actually it is the youth (or children, if you prefer ) wing of LTTE.
i lived in SL and now i go back every summer, i think i would know if there was a group called the tamil tiger youth.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Lostman said:
i lived in SL and now i go back every summer, i think i would know if there was a group called the tamil tiger youth.
May be you do and you have reasons to believe it's fake, but South Africans have not lived in SL and they wont know the difference. between LTTE and TTY. I can understand your position as SL is your native country, but try to think from SA POV or even a neutrals POV.

The insinuations that SA are leaving because they are afraid of losing is quite stupid, insulting and incorrect.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Being a Pak supporter, I can sympathize with Sri Lankans who feel frustrated by SA's pull-out. Pakistan has obviously suffered its fair share of pull-outs and outright refusals to tour. I always thought that if there was top security provided to a visiting team, and then some type of explosion went off somewhere in the city unrelated to the cricketers, then it was not legitimate for a team to pull out. HOWEVER, if there is an explosion, and then the team receives a threatening e-mail, I can't blame them for pulling out. A team can't assess if the threat is legitimate or not after a bomb goes off. They are right to take safety first and take no chances. I believe the e-mail SA received was probably from a fake group. But the South Africans can't be blamed for taking it seriously after what happened.

Langeveldt

Soutie
JASON said:
will have to get into the runs whenever they play next or their continued selection , not just of black cricketers , in the face of poor form will need to be questioned as being related to some quota system .
Sorry but you need to get your facts right, no quota system exists in the national first team, we have three coloured cricketers, Prince, Ntini and Gibbs who all play on merit. Loots wouldn't have played, and when Smith is fit he will return as captain, Kallis will pick himself too.. The fact that SA were humiliated in the test series would make them more keen to avenge that in the form of the game they are far stronger at.. I'm not sure what kind of an attitude you are implying we have, but it's a long way from the truth..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"It was an opportunity for the young guys to play a few games in subcontinent conditions [with the Champions Trophy just two months away], and it's unfortunate that it won't happen. I'm prepared to give everything while playing for South Africa, but not my life."

Um, calm down with the drama?

Langeveldt

Soutie
silentstriker said:
"It was an opportunity for the young guys to play a few games in subcontinent conditions [with the Champions Trophy just two months away], and it's unfortunate that it won't happen. I'm prepared to give everything while playing for South Africa, but not my life."

Um, calm down with the drama?
:laugh: it's fair enough though.. I wouldn't go to Columbo, just as I wouldn't walk through downtown Johannesburg.. What about the bomb that went off in Pakistan near the Kiwi's bus? Its not that far fetched to think that we could one day lose a cricketer or two to terrorism..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
:laugh: it's fair enough though.. I wouldn't go to Columbo, just as I wouldn't walk through downtown Johannesburg.. What about the bomb that went off in Pakistan near the Kiwi's bus? Its not that far fetched to think that we could one day lose a cricketer or two to terrorism..

Its not far fetched. If thats what they want to do, then thats their choice.

BTW, you are probably much safer in Columbo than in Johannesburg. Problem is that these bomb blasts are designed more to draw attention rather than kill a large amount of people. I would bet that those cricketers are safer playing and living in Colombo than they are in most other cities that they play cricket.

The issue is that a bomb blast that killes 5 people generates a lot of headlines, but your normal everyday crime wave in a city that has killed 200 people in the last six months does not generate much of anything.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa did the right thing (if the reports are true), this ******** about being worried about losing is just crap. South Africa have already lost the test series and was humiliated in one game, losing with a second fiddle team in Sri Lanka would be nothing out of the ordinary. As well as the fact that South Africa were actually looking forward to the series and getting some practice in familiar conditions before the Champions Trophy.

In regard to India, I’ll think it’s plainly obvious why they stayed…

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
....these bomb blasts are designed more to draw attention rather than kill a large amount of people......
That's why so far they have been able to assassinate only 2 head of states(one each from SL & India), one Foreign Minister, a handful of presidential and parliamentry candidates.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
That's why so far they have been able to assassinate only 2 head of states(one each from SL & India), one Foreign Minister, a handful of presidential and parliamentry candidates.
Exactly. In terms of impact, the terrorists can accomplish a lot more, but in terms of actual numbers, they tend to be far fewer than your normal crime in a city.

Thats why I said Colombo is likely much safer than Johannesberg. A bomb just draws more attention than a homocide on the street or bar.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
viktor said:
Oh. So the scheduling would have been fine if it had only been a SA v SL ODI series?
Well for a start it wouldn't have involved so many matches (and the weather seems to be the problem with having anything longer than 3 games now)