• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in England

Fusion

Global Moderator
This has MASSIVE implications. The umpire better have proof that the ball was tempered with. The controversy this is going to generate is going to last for a very long time. The whole tour is pretty much now scarred.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think SS is right on both counts - if Pakistan have been ball tampering, then why only 5 penalty runs? But if the Umpires only think they've been tampering, surely no penalty should be given at all without actual proof.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Fusion said:
This has MASSIVE implications. The umpire better have proof that the ball was tempered with. The controversy this is going to generate is going to last for a very long time. The whole tour is pretty much now scarred.
For Pakistan yes but England won it before this incident. Why would Pakistan tamper with the ball at this stage in the series? I can't imagine it's true...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hopefully find out more at tea; marc's right tho, this is going to totally overshadow the day's play, which is a real pity.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bob Woolmer and Waqar Younis in discussion on the balcony, with a ball in hand

What the hell is Waqar Younis doing here? Is he the Pakistan bolwing coach or something?

If he is, then the English papers are going to have a holiday!

In any case, what I said earlier still stands...and ICC needs to get involved:

If the umpires only think that the ball has been tampered with, then there should be no penalty. If they are sure, than the penalty must be more than five runs. The ICC should get involved and set up exactly what the penalty should be.

Accusations of ball tampering are worse than those of chucking, umpires shouldn't make them lightly. It could really sour the entire mood of a series. A lot more than five runs or a wicket are at stake...especially if its betweek Eng and Pak, who don't exactly have a merry relationship on the field historically.

But if they are sure, than they must act...and a LOT more than five runs too (maybe 30-50?).

Fusion

Global Moderator
If Pakistan are proven to have tampered, then they deserve any penalty they get. Including the fact that Eng got to pick a replacement ball which at the moment looks to be so flat that even I can hit sixes off it. Also, I would fully support the ICC if they give out suspensions and fines. But if the umpire only changed the ball based on assumption, then this is highly unjustified and has ruined the whole series and the playing atmosphere. Botham just said while commentating (I'm summarizing): "you can't just change the ball assuming something is wrong, you must have proof". I fully agree.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
poor from KP, throws it away when he was on top. Pakistan should win now, there are no batsmen left who will take the game from them so they'll have until lunch tomorrow to get the wickets for an easy chase

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Really can't see us getting a draw out of this now. Would have been nice to have won 2-0 with a fairly big series next up :p

I know there's 4 sessions left, but man of the series for either side?

Bell? Panesar?

Yousuf?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Really can't see us getting a draw out of this now. Would have been nice to have won 2-0 with a fairly big series next up :p

I know there's 4 sessions left, but man of the series for either side?

Bell? Panesar?

Yousuf?

Yousufs' gotta be the one on Pakistan side.