• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
ash chaulk said:
with the amount of spinners we've had over the years i think its good... plus its not like neil's around that much to notice.
Three of those chances were off seamers... Jamee will be after your place...

cbuts

International Debutant
Wairarapa Times
Overseas Star
By Whetu Poi

Chris Butler left Wairarapa a number of years ago, determined to play international cricket. His travels have seen him end up playing for Cricket Web, where he is now an established player in both the test and odi form the game.

Welcome Chris, first of all the World Cup, it was your first, and CWs second, how was it?Special. To play for represent your country in the WC is an amazing experience. We were all pretty gutted to fall over in the final, for the some of the guys it was the second time in a row! But i fel whislt we may not of come away with the prize, i think we came away with some respect. I think many nations felt the last WC performance was a fluke. To make the final the last two times, i think the oposition is finally realising we are a threat they need to take seroiusly now. Also another factor in that would be our recent performances in Australia.

The team deffiantly suprised some of the critics. On a personal note how do you fell you went? I was pretty dissapointed with my performances. It was a strange tournament. I didnt even get a bat for the first few games, due to the amazing form of the top 3 - it was brilliant to watch. I stepped up in one game with a 90 odd, i was pretty frustruated at that, not going onto a century and all. But apart from that performance it was a pretty forgetfull world cup for me. It kind of summed up the whole cricket year for me.

Yes, your perfomrances for the Blacks were poor, given your record in your past. What do you put that down to? Well i had a few private issues last year that left it tough to concentrate on cricket basically.

Your fathers ilness? Yea, It was a tough time for me and i must admit packing it all in did cross my mind a number of times. I basically just lost motovation for the game. It wasnt intil a couple few games out from the finals, I was having a couple of quiets with a few mates from the Blacks, that i realised I still had a desire to play. I got back into the nets, started getting fit again, got the call up from old Pickup and made the most of it in the 4d final

A century and a fifty of course in the final, it was great to see Buts back to his best, where did this performance come from? Its a strange game to look back upon. I didnt know how to feel afterwards. Of course we lost the final to the blues, which was absolutly gutrenching but at the same time I was just so buzzed to be back in the game and playing for the Blacks again. I also believe it was probally my best performance ever, without it im pretty sure i would have been dropped from the CW team.

Had you been talking to the selectors prior to the final, or at any part of the season? No, I didnt hear from them. Though I wasnt suprised or dissapointed to not hear from them. Its not usual practice. I jsut felt myself that i would have been dropped.

Were you dissapointed in the media, in terms of the way they were treating you, given what was happening behind the scenes last season? In all honesty i didnt really listen to what they were saying. I didnt have time to spend on that crap. Also its not something I have ever done durring my career. Im my harshiest critic. I know when im playing crap, i know when im playing well. i dont need some failed athlete telling me.

So no desires to become a journalist at the end of your career then? I may do the odd celeb coloum thingy, but na. I would rather be out on the golf course once i retire or in the pub haha!

So any predictions for this upcoming Development League season?Well if your readers are wondering what to do with thier money, i would put it on the Blacks to take the double. We have picked up some new rookies this year. The pre season traing has been brilliant. There has been an air of enthusiasm about. Everyone is having a great time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The making of the player?

With the news of the probable transfer of rookie opening batsman Matthew Luff from Blacks to Reds, former test opener Mick Atherton has suggested that this could be the best decision the youngster could make in his whole career.

"By joining Reds, Luff will gain from the benefit of playing in a superbly strong top order which will take the pressure off of him when he's settling in" said the much-respected pundit, "but further than that he will get the advice of some of the best opening batsmen around in Mørk and Mamesh in First Class and the remarkable Ian Markus in OD's."

Known more for his aggression, Atherton reckons that training with Mørk in particular will help Luff's development. "There's nobody better at defensive technique then the Norwayese one, and if some of that rubs off on Luff, then he could really develop into a top class player."

Well that's what the experts think, but it's up to Luff to concentrate on his game and make the most of his talent.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:

With the news of the probable transfer of rookie opening batsman Matthew Luff from Blacks to Reds, former test opener Mick Atherton has suggested that this could be the best decision the youngster could make in his whole career.

"By joining Reds, Luff will gain from the benefit of playing in a superbly strong top order which will take the pressure off of him when he's settling in" said the much-respected pundit, "but further than that he will get the advice of some of the best opening batsmen around in Mørk and Mamesh in First Class and the remarkable Ian Markus in OD's."

Known more for his aggression, Atherton reckons that training with Mørk in particular will help Luff's development. "There's nobody better at defensive technique then the Norwayese one, and if some of that rubs off on Luff, then he could really develop into a top class player."

Well that's what the experts think, but it's up to Luff to concentrate on his game and make the most of his talent.
And since when did this Atherton character become qualified to judge cricketers? Never heard of 'im.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
"Keep Stedman" says Dauth

The incumbent CW Red batsman entered the fray yesterday in a rare press appearance by backing fellow Red and male model James Stedman. "He is a great asset and I'd be very disappointed to see him go," Dauth admitted. "Look at last season and you see how well he clicks with the side. The one-day batting trio of Ian [Markus], Stedders [Stedman] and myself was very successful and we linked up well. Should we be so eager to give this up?"

Dauth also said it wasn't purely onfield performances that weighed in favour of Stedman. "He's probably the single most influential male model of our era and I don't think you can put a price on that," he confessed, "you either bring it or you don't. Stedman brings it."

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Cricketer Bowls all over: Paris

Sensational CW Reds cricketer James Stedman made an incredible international modelling debut in the Chateau Da Fleur fashion show in Paris last night. The tall, dashing Stedman with the angular nose and flowing brown locks recieved high adulations from a notoriously tough-to-please crowd, particularly when modelling the new Calvin Klein underwear range for the coming northern hemisphere autumn catalouge.

"His accentuated rib-cage is probably his most ***ual asset," reported French fashion critic Cumon Mie, "particularly in the way his torso synergises with that angular nose of his, really something."

However, this reporter has heard disturbing rumours that Stedman's famous nose and ribcage may well be shattered by well placed fists and elbows, if he makes a move to CW Black before the start of season XI. One can be sure that James Stedman's fans, well-wishers and prospective lovers will be hoping for his, and their own sakes, that James Stedman stays at Red.

Roger Googilopolis

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lack of concentration on the game was the reason

Reports coming from Red headquarters suggest that Stedman's inclusion in the trade to bring top batsman Kearsley to the club was partially brought about by his lack of focus on his game during the off season, preferring instead to do some part time modelling.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KennyD said:
"His accentuated rib-cage is probably his most ***ual asset," reported French fashion critic Cumon Mie, "particularly in the way his torso synergises with that angular nose of his, really something."
:laugh:

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
KennyD said:
Cricketer Bowls all over: Paris

Sensational CW Reds cricketer James Stedman made an incredible international modelling debut in the Chateau Da Fleur fashion show in Paris last night. The tall, dashing Stedman with the angular nose and flowing brown locks recieved high adulations from a notoriously tough-to-please crowd, particularly when modelling the new Calvin Klein underwear range for the coming northern hemisphere autumn catalouge.

However, this reporter has heard disturbing rumours that Stedman's famous nose and ribcage may well be shattered by well placed fists and elbows, if he makes a move to CW Black before the start of season XI. One can be sure that James Stedman's fans, well-wishers and prospective lovers will be hoping for his, and their own sakes, that James Stedman stays at Red.

Roger Googilopolis
:laugh: Love your work Roger...classic stuff!!

ash chaulk

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Lack of concentration on the game was the reason

Reports coming from Red headquarters suggest that Stedman's inclusion in the trade to bring top batsman Kearsley to the club was partially brought about by his lack of focus on his game during the off season, preferring instead to do some part time modelling.
rather a lack of focus player than a lack of form player

luffy

International Captain
Matt Luff Worried about lack of game time

Matthew Luff yesterday admitted he was getting worried about the lack of Match Time he is getting in First Class. After impressing selectors in the U/19s trial matches Matthew Luff has been traded to Red from Black. "it is a worry i am not playing but Red have alot of good players and i just need to impress in grade which i havnt been doing to get selected"

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Players see Red

It appears competetive spirit has reared its ugly head at CW Red, as competition for spots in the starting XI intensify in these early stages of season XI. CW Red made some cotroversial trades before the seasons start, with batting stalwart James Stedman and team lap dog Jamee Gray being traded away for CW Black's David Kearsley and U-19 cricketer Matthew Luff, with the decisions not pleasing everyone.

"To tell you the truth, I'm not too pleased with how things have turned out," said Kenny Dobson, a CW Red non-starter. "I mean, having Kearsley on board is absolutely fabulous, hes a great bat, but I miss James you know. We actually had something special, me and him, and its quite aggravating to see some youngster come in and take James' seat and locker in the dress sheds. My memories I have of me and James, together, leaning against his locker, clamering on his seat, have now been tainted."

Tempers have also been flaring at training, as new and old members of the side struggle to out perform each other in order to impress captain Watt and his leadership coterie. Scenes of quiet, snide abuse and clear displays of impatience were intensified this week, particularly when Rob Dauth decided to charge in off the long run up at the nets, and deliver the ball from halfway down the pitch, overstepping by about ten meters and delivering some nasty blows in the process.

"Basically the guys need to cool off a little bit, and have some patience," stressed Sean Bennett from his caravan set up outside the CW Red training ground, his in-season home. "I mean at the end of the day, we only have eleven spots, and our top 6 all have some international experience. Added to the fact that we have won our first two games, its pretty hard to leave someone out for any of the newer players, or even male-model Kenny Dobson, but really, we only keep him around at the club to help out with net bowling and to give us something nice to look at."

However, it's clear to this reporter, that despite Reds impressive start to the season, they may well need to sort out some off-field issues in order to ensure their continuing sucesses.

Roger Googilopolis