• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's 30 man squad announced

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
How good are lads like Bresnan, Broad, Yardy etc?
From the limited amount I've seen: Bresnan, not very; Broad, raw & not the finished article, but has height & bounce; Yardy, steady bat, useful part time SLA, kind of player Big Dunc likes.

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
From the limited amount I've seen: Bresnan, not very; Broad, raw & not the finished article, but has height & bounce; Yardy, steady bat, useful part time SLA, kind of player Big Dunc likes.
Yardy = bits and pieces player or a similar version to Ian Blackwell, but better (and not as many pies?)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Yardy = bits and pieces player or a similar version to Ian Blackwell, but better (and not as many pies?)?
No, he's more of a proper batter who turns his arm over a la Dalrymple or Colly. I think he's one of Big Dunc's "feeling" players, because his career stats (especially bowling) are fairly modest, but when I saw him bowl he looked a lot better than they suggest.

Craig

World Traveller
So more of a batsman who bowls rather then a batting all-rounder?

Anyway wasn't he the guy who scored a big double century against Bangladesh last year in a tour match and took a bagfull of wickets as well?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
So more of a batsman who bowls rather then a batting all-rounder?

Anyway wasn't he the guy who scored a big double century against Bangladesh last year in a tour match and took a bagfull of wickets as well?
Yeah, he's the one. Bowls very much like Jayasuriya - flat, left-arm darts that are difficult to get away. Has a hugely exaggerated trigger movement across the stumps à la Lara when batting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just dawned on me - what exactly has Chris Tremlett done wrong to now be rated below the likes of Gough, Bresnan and Onions?

stumpski

International Captain
He might have helped himself by staying fit for a whole season I suppose (not that Goughy hasn't missed the odd game).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except he has been playing hasn't he?

Granted he missed a bit early season, but to put crocks and useless players ahead of him is a tad harsh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Except he has been playing hasn't he?

Granted he missed a bit early season, but to put crocks and useless players ahead of him is a tad harsh.
Isn't Tremlett currently injured again?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Isn't Tremlett currently injured again?
Dunno, but that hasn't prevented Anderson, Blackwell & Plunkett from being picked. Maybe Dunc just forgot about him?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Dunno, but that hasn't prevented Anderson, Blackwell & Plunkett from being picked. Maybe Dunc just forgot about him?
Forgot about those but yes maybe Duncan has forgetting about Chris or considered how effective will a bowler like Tremlett be in subcontinental conditions. When you think that Steve Harmison a Tremlett like bowler will doubtlessly struggle with his length and probably line in India. I’m not advocating his none selection, I would have him in my thirty but Fletcher knows best I guess.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/5333960.stm)

There are three changes to the one-day squad for the Champions Trophy, with Flintoff, Anderson and Steve Harmison taking over from Alastair Cook, Stuart Broad and Darren Gough.

England squad for Champions Trophy: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire), J Anderson (Lancashire), I Bell (Warwickshire), R Clarke (Surrey), P Collingwood (Durham), J Dalrymple (Middlesex), S Harmison (Durham), E Joyce (Middlesex), S Mahmood (Lancashire), J Lewis (Gloucestershire), K Pietersen (Hampshire), C Read (Nottinghamshire), A Strauss (Middlesex), M Yardy (Sussex).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TT Boy said:
From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/5333960.stm)

There are three changes to the one-day squad for the Champions Trophy, with Flintoff, Anderson and Steve Harmison taking over from Alastair Cook, Stuart Broad and Darren Gough.

England squad for Champions Trophy: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire), J Anderson (Lancashire), I Bell (Warwickshire), R Clarke (Surrey), P Collingwood (Durham), J Dalrymple (Middlesex), S Harmison (Durham), E Joyce (Middlesex), S Mahmood (Lancashire), J Lewis (Gloucestershire), K Pietersen (Hampshire), C Read (Nottinghamshire), A Strauss (Middlesex), M Yardy (Sussex).
:blink: Australia and India will be quaking

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh joy, Mahmood gets in after 1 winning performance and 4 performances where he lost or had a good go at losing the game - brilliant.

Broad who was better overall and has far more potential is dropped...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mahmood is in for the same reason that Plunkett is selected in spite of lameness on the field - he has potential and is next in the pecking order.