• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season 11 Discussion and Results

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cbuts said:
see Neil, told ya i can bowl :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmm dont think the commentator likes me much. two solid performances in the last two games, only to be ripped up about it....
"Chris Butler was sharp enough to take 4 for 50 with his medium-pace dobblers"

...and you scored 5 in the game before and therefore didn't get a match report mention.

A tad sensitive, aren't we?

cbuts

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
"Chris Butler was sharp enough to take 4 for 50 with his medium-pace dobblers"

...and you scored 5 in the game before and therefore didn't get a match report mention.

A tad sensitive, aren't we?
they arnt dobblers. theyr 120km thunderbolts

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I can tesitify to that, I got a bruise from his bowling in the nets.

It was a nasty bruise, too.
Though I heard that you weren't batting at the time. You were merely retrieving a ball from halfway down the nets after Stedman had defended it back to you. Butler then screamed in before you had left the net, and unleashed, causing severe hematoma to your unguarded Latissimus Dorsi muscle due to the fact that you were without padding or a shirt.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
KennyD said:
Though I heard that you weren't batting at the time. You were merely retrieving a ball from halfway down the nets after Stedman had defended it back to you. Butler then screamed in before you had left the net, and unleashed, causing severe hematoma to your unguarded Latissimus Dorsi muscle due to the fact that you were without padding or a shirt.
You heard wrong.

Mr Mxyzptlk

KennyD said:
So basically, what you're saying is that Smith bruises easily.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web Green vs Cricket Web Red
at the CW Oval

Scorecard
Commentary

It was the kind of contest that Dev League cricket is built on, as the Greens and Reds battled into the final session at the Oval en route to a drawn result. Indeed, this was no tame result. Andrew Garven first chased history with the innings of his career, then rejoiced with his team in enforcing the follow-on against the Reds. But the tide would turn, and by the time the final day concluded, CW Green were hanging on to a drawn result against the brilliance of Watt and Kennett.

The drama began at the toss, when Watt inserted the visitors upon winning it. It seemed a worthwhile decision, no less as he removed the openers cheaply in his opening spell. Scott battled for a half-century from the three hole, but it was not until his demise that the spectacular took shape.

Megan Gaukroger joined her captain at the crease. And the two would not be separated for 102 further overs. As much as the Reds laboured away in the field, they simply could not procure the breakthrough. Cut shots, pull shots and sublime drives. The entire array was on display.

By the time Watt found the thin edge of Garven's bat, he had amassed 252 runs - one short of the Cricket Web record, and the highest Dev League score. The ovation was rightly immense. Gaukroger continued to a fine 126 unbeaten and CW Green declared at 550-8.

The Reds then needed 351 runs to make their opponents bat again, but despite the solid effort of Mørk at the top of the innings, they fell short by 130 runs. The battle then shifted to survival. The gap of 329 runs may have led to a quick and one-sided finish to most games, but at the Oval, there was still something special in store.

Dobson feathered through to Gaukroger behind the stumps and he was made to return to the pavilion for the cruel discharge of 99. He and Mørk had added 199 runs for the first wicket and announced the Red fightback.

The challenge was continued by Mørk (103), but most crucially by Marc Robbins down the order. Robbins scored 79 not out, not only pushing his team to safety, but allowing a declaration with an intense 19 overs remaining in the game.

A mere 129 runs were needed for victory, but the Greens had only 19 overs in which to operate and met a swinging ball. Watt and Kennett pushed through with the overhead assistance. The Greens were in tatters - 20 for 5.

It was then that Gaukroger reunited with her captain. Worried defence was replaced by forceful counterattack and the two pushed the game to the safety of a draw.

Cricket Web Green 1st innings 550-8 dec.
AJ Garven 252, M Gaukroger 126*, NG Scott 63; DJ Watt 4-118
Cricket Web Red 1st innings 221 all out
H Mørk 52, DA Kearsley 32; PG Gundry 4-42
Cricket Web Red 2nd innings (f/o) 457-9 dec.
H Mørk 103, GKK Dobson 99, MJ Robbins 79*; XPA Rose 3-63, AA Cameron 3-103
Cricket Web Green 2nd innings 82-5
AJ Garven 31*, M Gaukroger 27*; DJ Watt 3-28, DM Kennett 2-28

Match drawn.
Man of the Match: AJ Garven

Cricket Web Black vs Cricket Web Colts
at the Fardin Qayyumi CC

Scorecard
Commentary

Mike Wilson blazed away and Chris Butler held firm in a hard-fought win for Cricket Web Black over the Colts. Butler proved his worth once more to the Black middle order, standing up under pressure and playing the anchor role in the chase of 196 for victory.

Wilson provided the spectacle, however. The allrounder smashed 7 fours in a 55-ball unbeaten innings of 58, rushing the end to a tense contest. He and Butler put on 82, pulling the score from a difficult 114-5 to a comfortable 5-wicket scoreline of victory.

The Blacks had won the toss back on day one and chose to bowl first in miserable conditions. Heavy cloud cover and persistent interruptions from rain made it a difficult time for the Colts batsmen. To compound their woes, they were met with a rampant Kexing Su. The fast bowler delivered 8 consecutive maidens to start his spell, and accounted for Malthus-Howell and Jasotharan in the mean time.

The Colts slumped to 115-6, but recovered to 267 all out. Zack Gelman continued his impressive Dev League introduction and batted well in tandem with Nick Hancock to sculpt the revival.

Thomas then tore through the Black top order and at 86-6, the Colts seemed to be in total control. But Thompson and Hoy had been observant enough to mirror the spirit of their opponents and the Blacks too recovered, this time to 209 all out.

The 58 runs that separated the two teams would seem crucial at the turn, and even more so with Hoy finding rhythm with the ball. Hancock was called to battle again, and though he only scored 20, it was done in circumstances difficult enough to qualify each run as gold. The target was elevated to 196 and the Colts began to believe they could get home.

Fitzsimmons savaged Thomas early on, then met his fate at the hands of Wright. Thomas then returned to account for Gray and Smith, whilst Gelman snared night-watchman Richards. Law was caught off a loose slash and Wilson came together with Butler at 114-5.

At 138-5, Jasotharan missed a chance off the bat of Bulter and the bowling of Gelman. It was an extremely difficult opportunity, but one that may have turned the game decisively, if not reversed the disappointment of a King's pair.

Cricket Web Colts 1st innings 267 all out
NR Hancock 56, ZE Gelman 54; Kexing Su 3-43, NS Hoy 3-63
Cricket Web Black 1st innings 209 all out
CP Thompson 48, NS Hoy 44*; KS Wright 3-40, GM Thomas 3-65
Cricket Web Colts 2nd innings 137 all out
MJ Pitt 24, P Bharat 21; NS Hoy 5-46
Cricket Web Black 2nd innings 196-5
MW Wilson 58*, CR Butler 46; KS Wright 2-43

Cricket Web Black won by 5 wickets.
Man of the Match: NS Hoy

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Top order failing once more, I see. Definitely disappointed with that, particularly myself - I need to spend more time in the nets, I see.

But the man of the moment: Garven - what a knock!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Wow... i have been having trouble making double figures of late and was considering dropping myself for that game, what a comeback into form :D Shame we didn't go on top win from that, Red fought back well though and we fell short. Lots of work still to do for the batsmen though, we need more consistency.