• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinner for 1966-85 World Test XI

Spinner for 1966-85 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beleg

International Regular
we have marshall and lillee in the team already. hadlee and botham are likely to join them. we are better off with a spinner from one the three guys in the list above.
Contrary to all facts, if you still think that a spinner would be best, then who am I to try and shake off your belief.

:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
I wonder with this lot of spinners which are <<<< compared to the quicks available, if we wouldn't be better picking an extra pace bowling allrounder (botham AND khan) and having Sobers provide the spinning option with his very competant wrist and finger spin.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Um, assuming we have Lillee, Marshall, hadlee and Sobers, we do not need a 5th quick. It makes no sense. He'd barely get any bowling time.

bagapath

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Um, assuming we have Lillee, Marshall, hadlee and Sobers, we do not need a 5th quick. It makes no sense. He'd barely get any bowling time.
one small correction

assuming we have lillee, marshall, hadlee, botham and sobers we do not need a 6th quick. he will never get a bowl.

and, beleg! who else do you want to go with this bunch. holding, garner types or underwood, chandra types? i am not ignoring facts as you say. there are 5 pacers right now. why do you need one more????

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Matt79 said:
My point was that if you had four quicks you'd use Sobers as a spinner, not a quick.
I'd rather have a genuine match-winning spinner. Sobers would be better as an emergency bowler in either case if you need a spinner or paceman. I don't expect that he would have to bowl all that much with the other people that we have here.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You wouldn't just say that Sobers is to be either a paceman or spinner. He could change whenever he feels like, depending on the situation. He could change halfway through the over if he wanted to.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
You wouldn't just say that Sobers is to be either a paceman or spinner. He could change whenever he feels like, depending on the situation. He could change halfway through the over if he wanted to.

Thats what I just said in the post above!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I don't usually read all the posts in the thread. I tend to just read one post and quote a response to it, regardless of whether somebody else has. A minor fault of mine.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Come now Mr Glover aren't you being a bit of a jesse? It would be a bit daft to hold a poll of this nature and then not vote to see who people think is the best spinner from the period. It's not as if the team are going to turn up tomorrow for a match on a nice green top at Perth.

Matt79 said:
I wonder with this lot of spinners which are <<<< compared to the quicks available, if we wouldn't be better picking an extra pace bowling allrounder (botham AND khan) and having Sobers provide the spinning option with his very competant wrist and finger spin.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Gary Sobers-One of the worst spinners ever.I would suggest you to please check records before labelling greentop bullies as "best bowlers ever" & worst spinners in history of game as "competent".Any team who picks Sobers as a spinner would lose miserably.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
BhupinderSingh said:
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Gary Sobers-Worst Spinner Ever.I would suggest you to please check records before labelling greentop bullies as "best bowlers ever" & worst spinners in history of game as "competent".Any team who picks Sobers as a spinner would lose miserably.
Maybe you should get a job at cricinfo as for some reason they think Sobers was pretty good :)

"As a batsman he was great, as a bowler, merely superb, but would have made the West Indies side as a bowler alone. He was remarkably versatile with the ball, bowling two styles of spin - left-arm orthodox and wrist spin, but was also a fine fast-medium opening bowler".

Matt79

Global Moderator
BhupinderSingh said:
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Gary Sobers-Worst Spinner Ever.I would suggest you to please check records before labelling greentop bullies as "best bowlers ever" & worst spinners in history of game as "competent".Any team who picks Sobers as a spinner would lose miserably.
Michael Bevan was a worse spinner, so your opinion is just wrong.

Last edited:
aussie tragic said:
Maybe you should get a job at cricinfo as for some reason they think Sobers was pretty good :)

"As a batsman he was great, as a bowler, merely superb, but would have made the West Indies side as a bowler alone. He was remarkably versatile with the ball, bowling two styles of spin - left-arm orthodox and wrist spin, but was also a fine fast-medium opening bowler".
Gary Sobers is one of the greatest batsmen ever,a very fine medium pacer but an rubbish spinner.Whether u believe it or not,he was an absolute disgrace as a spinner.Check his stats as a spinner,then u might believe what I'm saying to be true.It was his rubbish spin bowling which deterioated his bowling average & makes his record worst than it could've been.

Moreover,any cricketer can bowl the ype of "spin" that he used to bowl.He could bowl with both wrist & finger spinner's action but was hardly a spinner of the cricket ball.

aussie tragic said:
Believe me,u would find countless people who think Afridi is a better batsmen than Lara & Tendulkar.Does this make him better than those two.Only Keith Miller,Imran Khan & Ian Botham are the allrounders n history of cricket who would make any team(regardless of the era) on the basis of their performance in one department(either batting or bowling) alone.

Last edited: