• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC ranks Hair second best

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
R_D said:
Well than shouldn't try to hand out the verdict of calling someone a cheat if you can't back it up with solid proof.
As far as I can remember I've never actually tried to hand out any verdict, all along I've stated that there's only 2 people who have the full story, and there is no way they can prove it either way.

But what I'd like to know is how you can make any pronouncements without proof, but others can't (as you're trying to say here)

And also I'd like the proof you've got about the umpiring accuracy which you've declared to be wrong...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
PhoenixFire said:
An important point is, is that hair was actually a very good umpire as far as desicion-making went. I would only rate Taufel above him.
I agree with that and have said so previously when the Oval issue came up first.

But as Fusion rightly pointed out, there are other aspects to umpiring where he was found wanting and has therefore been voted out of the panel.

BTW, I think the time has come for the sacking of Asoka De Silva as well, purely based on his accuracy %. I believe it is lesser than Darrel Hair's common sense %. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
So you saw the ball 5 overs before the switch took place then did you?

If not, then you cannot say there was no evidence...
I believe everybody would have seen it on camera, Marc. The amazing close up shots we get can be good enough to at least get like 20% idea of whether the ball was tampered with or not. Anyways, the ball was produced and the experts felt it was not tampered with in such a way that it might assist the bowling team. End of story. Anyways, I am still not inclined to buy that a Pakistan player tampered with the ball and was not caught by one of the 16+ cameras on the ground, one of which is generally assigned to "follow the ball".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Matteh said:
He thought there was something wrong (and clearly Doctrove did too) and he acted upon it. So now you want someone who isn't as good an umpire and also someone not strong enough to make big and potentially awkward decisions?
no he saw that something MIGHT have been wrong with the ball, and decided that Pakistan players were the ones who did it (based on suspicion and supposition more than anything else) and slapped them with a penalty for an offence which is an emotive issue for that team. And when it was shown that none of the 16+ cameras actually caught anything and that the ball itself wasn't in such a condition that could have helped the bowling side in any big way than a normal ball which was that many overs old, he still refused to accept that he may have acted hastily. And then he failed to inform the team that he slapped the ban on that they are forfeiting the game by staying off the field and only informed the English team.

I think the member nations of the ICC saw that something was wrong with one of the Elite umpires and decided to take action.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
What it does show is that there is no proof that they didn't have evidence, since only 2 of them know the condition of the ball at both points, and there is absolutely no way anyone else ever can.

Therefore you cannot claim they had no evidence.
really? So the Pakistan players WON'T know what the condition of the ball was 5 overs before?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Matteh said:
He thought something was up with the ball and that it looked like it had been altered. The umpires decided to dock a massive 5 runs and the Pakistan team threw all their toys out the pram and acted like idiots.
And Hair didn't? Is it too much to expect an umpire who already knows that Pakistan are sensitive about ball tampering allegations and that they have also had problems with him in the past to act only after gaining some REAL evidence that Pakistan player(s) HAVE tampered with the ball before going about invoking that penalty?

On another note, that penalty is WAY too lenient for an offence as big as ball tampering. Something bigger should be brought in.

adharcric

International Coach
honestbharani said:
no he saw that something MIGHT have been wrong with the ball, and decided that Pakistan players were the ones who did it (based on suspicion and supposition more than anything else) and slapped them with a penalty for an offence which is an emotive issue for that team. And when it was shown that none of the 16+ cameras actually caught anything and that the ball itself wasn't in such a condition that could have helped the bowling side in any big way than a normal ball which was that many overs old, he still refused to accept that he may have acted hastily. And then he failed to inform the team that he slapped the ban on that they are forfeiting the game by staying off the field and only informed the English team.

I think the member nations of the ICC saw that something was wrong with one of the Elite umpires and decided to take action.
Very well summed up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
When the only evidence is something that can never be shown because it doesn't exist any more there's no way of proving anything.

I've maintained this stance since the day it happened, and will continue to maintain it because at the end of the day, there is nothing anybody can say to definitively prove nothing happened, just like there is nothing anybody can say to definitively prove anything did happen.
And when you CANNOT prove that something DEFINITELY did/did not happen, you don't go around throwing a serious accusation against a team for whom it is an emotive issue. THAT is the lack of common sense we are all talking about here and that is the reason he is out of the ELITE panel.

adharcric

International Coach
On another note HB, why aren't you voting in the "Ranking the Batsmen/Bowlers" threads? We need quality posters to make their opinions count. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Matteh said:
How can you show a jury what a ball looked like 5 overs before and then 5 overs later?
no, but they can decide whether the level of disruptions in the ball is enough to warrant action and whether it can DEFINITELY be confirmed that the disruptions were actually caused by a human hand rather than other factors and also to CONFIRM that THAT human being was in fact a player of the Pakistan team playing that game. And their findings were negative on all 3 counts. Hence, out goes Hair.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
adharcric said:
On another note HB, why aren't you voting in the "Ranking the Batsmen/Bowlers" threads? We need quality posters to make their opinions count. :)
not enough time, I am only here in my lunch breaks these days. Will try and find time to post there this weekend or so. :)

Thanks for rating me quality though. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Isn't that beside the point a bit though? If Hair was assessed as the second best umpire including all the criteria listed on that page, it does really bring into question the motivation behind removing him. If the ICC believed him to be a volatile figure who wanted the spotlight for himself and was biased against certain nations and so on, they couldn't have assessed him so highly on criteria like "empathy for game and situation", "approachability of umpire" and "dealt with players equally".

Regarding the number of decisions, one can only assume it is either limited to "close call" type decisions, or a sample of say 5-7 tests.
I think one of the other posters hit the nail on the head regarding this issue. The ICC's executive committee has always been spirited in its defence of the Elite umpires and it was pretty much the same with Hair. But it was the member nations that voted him out because they have lost confidence in him. Anyways, I don't believe in the ICC's way of rating umpires. My idea is you take the close calls in the game, and then see whether the umpire made the right decisions there and that's it. Else, simply see the no. of mistakes an umpire makes during each series. Like, IIRC, De Silva has made around 7 or 8 in this first test between Windies and Pakistan. I don't think the ICC's rating of its own umpires is something that should be given too much credibility to.

Having said all that, even with a real rating system, I think Hair would end up as one of the better umpires as far as on field decisions go. I have no doubt about that really.

Fusion

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:

Well said. My beef with Hair has always been that he displays a lack of common sense, and is stubborn to a fault. Issues that can be dealt with sensibly and with normalcy are turned into huge controversial events because of Hair's personality and massive ego.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Look at it this way, any man who can turn a days cricket into the top natiuonal story, ahead of all the grim stuff in the world, deserves the number 2 spot. at least.

R_D

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
As far as I can remember I've never actually tried to hand out any verdict, all along I've stated that there's only 2 people who have the full story, and there is no way they can prove it either way.

But what I'd like to know is how you can make any pronouncements without proof, but others can't (as you're trying to say here)

And also I'd like the proof you've got about the umpiring accuracy which you've declared to be wrong...
i wasn't talking about verdict from people but rather that Hair handing out verdict without solid proof... He gave 5 runs penalty which cleraly reflects that Pakistan are tempering with the ball hence cheating plus change of ball. Hair clearly jumped the gun there.
As for people i was always of the thought innocent until proven guilty but obviously its pakistan so we can't really have those rules for them eh marc ?

As for the umpiring accuracy.. i probaly jumped the gun and admit i was wrong. It just doesn't feel like umpires get 90% plus of calls right.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
R_D said:
As for people i was always of the thought innocent until proven guilty but obviously its pakistan so we can't really have those rules for them eh marc ?
So where have I declared them guilty then?

I haven't, all I have done is maintained the same stance throughout.

C_C

International Captain
It just doesn't feel like umpires get 90% plus of calls right.
I can see umpires getting 90% of the calls right, given that bowled and simple catches are also included in part of that decision.
I'd be more interested in knowing how many nicks and lbws they get right and what exactly is the verification process of determining if you got the call right or wrong.As far as i am concerned, there is no credible basis in concluding that umpires got N % of decisions right or wrong.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
hmm to be honest I'm not quite sure what the readership is but I thought that it'd be the most "worldly" or "international" of cricket magazines