• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time bowling ratings (Statistical ranking by SS/AS)

adharcric

International Coach
Goughy said:
Anyone remember SS's early days? An amazing turnaround.

If the Indian pace attack improves at the same rate they will be world class by the WC :)
Couldn't agree more. He sounded like a wannabe troll back in the day. Now he's on his way to legend status.

He also needs to get a life. That post count is growing exponentially these days. ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
silentstriker said:
Just did 100/innings.

Home Average: 10%
Away Average: 15%
ICC Rating: 20%
100/innings ratio: 15%
Ave. in games won: 15%
Ave. 1st Innings: 3.5%
Ave. 2nd Innings: 4%
Ave. 3rd Innings: 4.5%
Ave. 4th Innings: 5%
HS: 8%
Actually, I might be putting too much into average. Let me do the 50/100 ratio as well:

Ave. 1st Innings: 1%
Ave. 2nd Innings: 2%
Ave. 3rd Innings: 3%
Ave. 4th Innings: 4%
50/100 conversion rate: 7%

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Actually, I might be putting too much into average. Let me do the 50/100 ratio as well:

Actually yeah, would like that one in - I think converting starts into big scores is an important stat for a top batsmen.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Check last post. If that sounds good or if you can think of anything else?

I'll get started with that, if it sounds good.

EDIT: you beat me too it. I'll get started, I'll see you in a couple hours, in time for me to get back to the TV for the Ashes.

And no, I do not know what this 'life' is that you speak of.

shankar

International Debutant
8% for the Highest score seems too high since it's just one innings. Maybe it could be replaced by conversion rate from 100 to 200, 200 to 300?

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:

You can combine the 50/100 conversion rate and 100/innings ratio. I usually count the 100s as two 50s and then calculate 50/innings ratio. For example, 10 50s and 6 100s and 40 innings gives a 50s/innings ratio of 22/40, or 0.55. Usually, the great batsmen have at least 0.50 and a few cross 0.60 (Headley, Sutcliffe, Bradman, etc). Then, you can make this statistic worth 15%. The HS shouldn't be worth that much IMO.

You could even factor in the doubles (4 50s) and triples (6 50s) like that if you get desperate.
Not sure about that one though.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
You can combine the 50/100 conversion rate and 100/innings ratio. I usually count the 100s as two 50s and then calculate 50/innings ratio. For example, 10 50s and 6 100s and 40 innings gives a 50s/innings ratio of 22/40, or 0.55. Usually, the great batsmen have at least 0.50 and a few cross 0.60 (Headley, Sutcliffe, Bradman, etc). Then, you can make this statistic worth 15%. The HS shouldn't be worth that much IMO.

Hmm:

ICC Rating: 25%
50/innings ratio (100+ counts as two innings): 20%
Ave. in games won: 18%
HS: 2%

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Hmm:

50/innings ratio (100+ counts as two innings): 20%
Ave. in games won: 18%
HS: 2%
Home 10, Away 15, ICC 25 look good.
50/innings ratio (100+ is 2, 200+ is 4, 300+ is 6) can be 20 or 25%.
Average in games won should be 15 IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Home 10, Away 15, ICC 25 look good.
50/innings ratio (100+ is 2, 200+ is 4, 300+ is 6) can be 20 or 25%.
Average in games won should be 15 IMO.
If I make Ave. in Games won 15%, then I'll do HS: 5%.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
50/innings ratio (100+ =2, 200+=4, 300+=6): 20%
HS: 5%

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:

You could even factor in the doubles (4 50s) and triples (6 50s) like that if you get desperate.
Not sure about that one though.
That's a great way of doing it actually - makes it easy to combine them into one stat. Viv Richards, for example, would get 93/182. Greg Chappell 79/151.

DG Bradman 71/80.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
50/innings ratio (100+ =2): 20%
HS: 5%
This is it. I know 5% for HS might be too much for some people but I think its fair as it does tell you something about a batsman. I know some of my favorite players (i.e Tendulkar) will miss out in that regard, but I think its fair.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
This is it. I know 5% for HS might be too much for some people but I think its fair as it does tell you something about a batsman. I know some of my favorite players (i.e Tendulkar) will miss out in that regard, but I think its fair.
I think that's all fair enough. And SRT's 248* will rank him higher in that category than Chappell, Gavaskar, Border, Waugh, Weekes or Walcott, to name just a few!

adharcric

International Coach
Isn't the HS already factored into the 50s/innngs part though?
Some of those guys will get hammered not only for not having a big one, but also for not having a big one.
Anyways, it's not that important.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Some of those guys will get hammered not only for not having a big one, but also for not having a big one.
lol well put!

Though I guess you could argue that there are a lot of guys with a HS between 200 and 300, and a HS of 290 should rank a few points above a HS of 205, rather than both scores just being lumped into a 200+ category.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I just did two so far (Bradman and Sobers), and its so ridiculous its not even funny. :laugh: Just shows you how good Bradman was.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
You're right. I counted HS, but not 4x and 6x. Thats penalizing too much, people who came in an era where it wasn't really feasible IMO.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
I just did two so far (Bradman and Sobers), and its so ridiculous its not even funny. :laugh: Just shows you how good Bradman was.
I don't think too many others will finish ahead of Sobers though - a few possibly, but not many.