• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Plunkett is bowling a lot fuller now. It will mean fours at times like on the fifth ball of the over but mi****s like on the sixth ball. Smith shouldn't last long now really.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Smith - plumb, not given, then plays a mistimed square drive for four. I rate this guy for some reason - don't really know why. Sometimes he looks okay for 20 odd before getting out and sometimes he looks dire and gets out cheaply. I may need to reconsider my evaluation if it keeps up, but I'll stay strong for now. :p

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith - plumb, not given, then plays a mistimed square drive for four. I rate this guy for some reason - don't really know why. Sometimes he looks okay for 20 odd before getting out and sometimes he looks dire and gets out cheaply. I may need to reconsider my evaluation if it keeps up, but I'll stay strong for now. :p
Best way to be, have a bit of faith. He batted quite well on the tour of Australia, definately has the potential to be a good Test opener. You probably just want him to do well so you don't have to watch Gayle :p

grecian

I don't think the umpire should of given it out, just clipping leg stump. Benefit of the doubt. Certainly nothing like as plumb as Collys yesterday.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Perm said:
I don't think he'll ever be an all-rounder, maybe a decent bowler who can bat a bit at #8 or #8 (similar to Lee)
Yeah, seems to be the general consensus, but I see more there. I think he has a lot more potential with the bat than Lee ever did - his defensive technique is better already, for example. As I said though, he'll probably never fulfill his batting potential though given he'll be putting all his focus onto his bowling due to it being rushed along.

Perm

I don't think the umpire should of given it out, just clipping leg stump. Benefit of the doubt. Certainly nothing like as plumb as Collys yesterday.
I thought it was going to hit leg, maybe taking a bit of middle stump as well. Hawk Eye was quite generous in favour of the batsman IMO.

Perm

Yeah, seems to be the general consensus, but I see more there. I think he has a lot more potential with the bat than Lee ever did - his defensive technique is better already, for example. As I said though, he'll probably never fulfill his batting potential though given he'll be putting all his focus onto his bowling due to it being rushed along.
Lee doesn't have the best technique, and certainly is only really strong in the one area. But I can see him finishing up with a higher Test batting average than Liam Plunkett, he just seems a fair bit more stubborn at the crease.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Best way to be, have a bit of faith. He batted quite well on the tour of Australia, definately has the potential to be a good Test opener. You probably just want him to do well so you don't have to watch Gayle :p
Yeah, if Smith is rubbish, there's less chance of Gayle ever getting dropped. I dream about Smith-Ganga opening combinations. :p

Seriously though, he seems to have the basics there. Good technique, but lacks in concentration at times, especially with his footwork which can all-of-a-sudden become very lazy.

PY

International Coach
I can see him as someone like Pollock if he fulfills his potential, Pollock's batting was more of a late development and now I see Pollock as a genuine all-rounder rather than a bowler who can bat.

Obviously, he has a long way to go to get to Pollock in bowling especially and batting and probably will never reach those heights but I believe he has the potential.

Perm

Yeah, if Smith is rubbish, there's less chance of Gayle ever getting dropped. I dream about Smith-Ganga opening combinations. :p

Seriously though, he seems to have the basics there. Good technique, but lacks in concentration at times, especially with his footwork which can all-of-a-sudden become very lazy.
Ganga is quite obviously the #1 opener IMO, even if his record doesn't really show it. He is very much an old-fashioned opening batsman, with a SR of less than 40.

Smith is a good batsman, one of the better ones in the West Indies I think. Averages 37 in First Class cricket, which is pretty good. Take his Test matches off that and it's almost at 40, which is pretty impressive compared to some of the other batsman in the West Indies.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't rate Smith too highly. I can almost see him getting out to Plunkett soon. Has misjudged so many balls.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ganga is quite obviously the #1 opener IMO, even if his record doesn't really show it. He is very much an old-fashioned opening batsman, with a SR of less than 40.

Smith is a good batsman, one of the better ones in the West Indies I think. Averages 37 in First Class cricket, which is pretty good. Take his Test matches off that and it's almost at 40, which is pretty impressive compared to some of the other batsman in the West Indies.
Smith was also extremely dominant at U/19 international level IIRC, which probably has a lot to do with his continued selection in the team. Well, not really I suppose, given how dire everyone else is. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, Hussain just said that he doesn't think Bravo gives his wicket away. He does so at every possible chance really, usually trying to play a big wristy flick through midwicket.