• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb language on the cricket field

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I must say this season I've used a fair bit of cricketweb language out on the cricket field.

For instance, I've often told a batsman his shot was, "dire!"

Found myself saying on Saturday, "Send him back for an idea, 'cause he's got no ****in' idea at moment.' Which was inspired by NFI.

Any other culprits out there?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I must say this season I've used a fair bit of cricketweb language out on the cricket field.

For instance, I've often told a batsman his shot was, "dire!"

Found myself saying on Saturday, "Send him back for an idea, 'cause he's got no ****in' idea at moment.' Which was inspired by NFI.

Any other culprits out there?
Can see myself saying "TBH APU my bowling was crap IMO" a bit next season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I considered sledging a poor opposition once this season by saying they were substandard and that I was going to filter the match against them out of my stats, but I decided against it.

I use "dire" quite a bit when I'm out there, although I use it quite a bit everywhere so that's no real change.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I considered sledging a poor opposition once this season by saying they were substandard and that I was going to filter the match against them out of my stats, but I decided against it.
:laugh: Would have paid twice my admission fee to hear that TBH.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh: Would have paid twice my admission fee to hear that TBH.
To make it worse, the only reason they were in the comp was because the H$K$H$D$C$A split them from another club to create the illusion of expansion. That area had always been a united entity in terms of cricket - if only they had named the original club correctly, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To make it worse, the only reason they were in the comp was because the H$K$H$D$C$A split them from another club to create the illusion of expansion. That area had always been a united entity in terms of cricket - if only they had named the original club correctly, they wouldn't be in this mess.
What a sad situation! :( Funny, I know of one alarmingly similar at the international level that has recently reared its head.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The word dire entered into alarmingly common usage at both Exeter and Thorverton last summer. I winced every time I heard someone use it.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just like Dale Winton in a darts competition, sledger has failed to hit the board, let alone the bullseye with that one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This simply must be added to the list in my sig, TBH. One of the best ever.

pishposhpesh

Cricket Spectator
My Favourite Cricket Sledges!

I Play english cricket for my club at under 15 level. We are pretty dire compared to the other local teams so we have to sledge to annoy the batsmen. here are a few of our favourites...

"This batsmans like a polo, all edge no middle!!"
"Oh Tim, this balls swinging like an 80's disco!!"
"He's a walking wicket lads!"
"He full of bravado...but no mother!"
"Dont worry guys the only hands the balls landing in are the wickies!!"

cheers

Will :happy:

open365

International Vice-Captain
I was playing a village team a few weeks ago and I ran someone out going for a third that he never called for, he was on his way of when he turned to the other batsman and said 'You are a ****ing c***', which I thought was a pretty apt way to sort out a dressing room argument.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't play cricket but always tell people to GAGF in work. Successfully got dire into their everyday lexicon, now GAGF. Getting to work on gun next one thinks.

Actually got EWS's dire pic circulating round my office