• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim Southee Injured .....

source:
blackcapsfan dot blog spot .com
Think it's probably best for him not to get into ODIs at this stage of his career anyway TBH, so as long as it's not too serious I'm not worried there.

NZ want to go in with Mills, Oram, Vettori, 2 N Other for mine. Wonder if O'Brien will get another crack?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think it's probably best for him not to get into ODIs at this stage of his career anyway TBH, so as long as it's not too serious I'm not worried there.

NZ want to go in with Mills, Oram, Vettori, 2 N Other for mine. Wonder if O'Brien will get another crack?
In a word, "No". I heard Mark Gillespie will be making up the ODI bowling numbers.

A friend of mine refered to Gillespie the other day as, "New Zealand's answer to Waqar Younis"

I politely inquired whether Waqar had settled the age old Waqar vs Wasim debate by devouring both Wasim, and also Imran Khan (just to make sure)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh dear.

Always thought Gillespie had some potential as a Test bowler but he's woeful in the shorter game.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
I see Simon Jones is not playing for Worcestershire against New Zealand in the warm up one day game.

Shame.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Go Fulton... make number 3 your own till you retire. |:P

Edit: Anyone know why Mills is not selected? Rest?
Nice jinxing :p

I'd say Mills is being rested. He is our best ODI bowler along with Vettori. Allowing Mason and Gillespie to battle it out. I'm sure Patel will be in the ODI side as 2nd spinner.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Nice jinxing :p

I'd say Mills is being rested. He is our best ODI bowler along with Vettori. Allowing Mason and Gillespie to battle it out. I'm sure Patel will be in the ODI side as 2nd spinner.
Always happens. Mills is being rested? Wow, he needs to bowl more. I think without him or Southee in the side we seem a seamer who can bat short in the ODI lineup.

Southee in the media sounded to me like a certainty to start his first ODI game?

Number 3 batting position seems like a poisoned chalice. Whoever bats there is a near certainty to fail. Any theories why?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
NZ off to a quick start it seems. 77/0 after 12.

Is it being shown on TV over in Pommieland?
Haha, not a chance. We don't even get England A games. U19s, yes. A, no. And certainly not tour-games. In any case, all TV interest is currently fixed Twenty20 Cup - ward.

Jamie How and Peter Fulton, hang your heads in shame for getting out to Chris Whelan. Somehow seems Gareth Andrew's first 5 overs have only gone for 23 too.

Interesting though - apart from Whelan and Andrew, Worcs have picked a full-strength side, and good on them for that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, bloody hell, what a bizarre game so far. NZ pile-up 358 for 8 from their 50, but the two worst bowlers get easily the best figures - somehow Andrew (who for those - probably most - who haven't seen him really is ten times worse than O'Brien was in SA in 2007/08) concedes just 53 from 10 AND gets 2 wickets, and Whelan somehow manages 4 wickets despite being smashed for 78 from 10. 48 (55) from How; 123 (98) for McCullum; 75 (71) from Taylor; and 36 (27) for Styris. Even 24 (18) from Oram.

Worcs appear to have started fairly impressively, though they're already quite a bit behind the rate. Solanki and Davies, neither of whom are opening-batsmen, have opened all this season ahead of actual openers Daryl Mitchell and Stephen Moore, who are pushed down to five and six. And so far this game, they've gone well, 97 without loss off 17. Mason starting well (6-24-0), Gillespie poorly (5-32-0). Styris starting with 3-11-0 and Patel being belted, 29 off his first 3.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Davies run-out for 48, that's a bit of a shame. Was hoping he might manage a half-century. Moeen Ali and Moore both gone for ducks, Ali 1st ball. Still don't really think it makes much sense for Hick not to bat three in one-day cricket, even though he's not batted there since, what, 2004?

Needing all but 9-an-over now would suggest it's rapidly becoming OOTQ - not that it was ever remotely likely ITFP.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hick now gone.

Shame, would have liked to see him get a decent score. (He's the same age as me!)

Woodster

International Captain
Using your feet to the seamers if the wicketkeeper is standing-up is a big no-no. You just virtually never see it, even in the one-day game. It's so easy to miss one from a seamer, so much easier than to miss one from a spinner. And if you do, that's it, you're stumped.
No I fully agree, I perhaps didnt explain what I meant properly. I meant with the keeper back, if the batsmen are using their feet it forces the keeper to come up to the wicket, thus making him do something he does not particularly want to. Once he is up to the wicket, naturally the batsman would stop using his feet to dance down the track, but may get one or two let-offs, with regards snicks etc, with the keeper up to the wicket.

You do not have to smash it when you use your feet to come down the wicket, it can just be used to upset the bowlers length and make him have to think about it every ball rather than just being able to run up and pitch it exactly where he wants without any worry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hick now gone.

Shame, would have liked to see him get a decent score. (He's the same age as me!)
And NZ eventually win by 95 runs. Should've been more than that though, as they had them 127-5 then 203-7. Guess Kabir Ali, Gareth Batty, Magoffin and Andrew slogged a few at the end. Styris ends with easily the best bowling-figures, an impressive 8-25-3. Mason OK, but Gillespie and Patel both poor, and Vettori disappointing by his standards with 10-52-2.