• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Cricket World Cup 2004 Discussion and Results

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After much deliberation, the CW XI Selection Panel has come picked the provisional squad for the upcoming World Cup in the West Indies. The players are:

1/ Blewy (C)
2/ Cloete (vc)
3/ Peter Young (wk)
4/ Eclipse
5/ Rich_2001
6/ Nikhil Nichani
7/ Neil Pickup
8/ Top Cat
9/ Lucky Eddie
10/ Mr Wright
11/ Mr Ponting
12/ David Jr
13/ Rik
14/ Lord of Darkness
15/ Mr Mxyzptlk
16/ Bugssy

17/ Eyes Only (wk)
18/ Dave
19/ Langevedt
20/ Marc71178

The first 16 named players constitute the main squad and the other 4 (17-20) are injury replacements. Congratulations to all those who made it, and I hope that those who didn't will still express support for their international team.

The schedule and warmup fixtures are due to be announced soon, with the tournament kicking off on Sunday the 25th April. :cool:

Cloete

International Captain
haha come on blewy let's lead this very competent team to it's first ever WC victory!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WOW! I'm am thrilled at being selected. I'm sure I will return the selectors conficence with good performances. Come on boys (and girls), lets make this a tournament to remember...

DJellett

International Debutant
How the hell could I not be selected? I averaged 40+ and am a WK, although I never got used in that sense. :censored: :cursing:

Cloete

International Captain
DJellett said:
How the hell could I not be selected? I averaged 40+ and am a WK, although I never got used in that sense. :censored: :cursing:
It could have something to do with the fact that you've never played an international game and I don't think you've played a full season? ;)

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Wow, am thrilled to be named in the 20. Thats a huge surprise considering my mediocre form in the Pre WC Tourny. And that im more of a test bowler then 1day.

Thanks guys :D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I am confident this squad has the ability to win this world cup...

Everyone has shown signs that they can perform on the international scene, so lets get out their and do it..
We must take each game as if its a final, don't let up on the pressure....

Yeah Andy, we gonna be liftin that trophy mate...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Id like to offer a personal thanks to Liam for selecting me.:) Although we've had our problems in the past, it's all good now.
Thanks mate:)

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
very happy to be selected

hopefully the order that the team was announced other than the first 2 have no means of order :D

it looks like a good solid outfit and very confident we can celebrate with holding the trophey

Mr Mxyzptlk

**Australia and England arrive**

[Bridgetown] Australia and England arrived in the West Indies today to start their preparation for the 2004 Cricket World Cup. The teams were greeted by Prime Minister Owen Arthur, Sir Vivian Richards and Sir Garfield Sobers.

The Australians are keen to defend their title and the Englishmen are keen to qualify for the second round this time. The two teams are the second to arrive, following the CW XI which touched down last night.

The squads are as follows:

Australia
RT Ponting (C)
AC Gilchrist + (vc)
ML Hayden
DR Martyn
DS Lehmann
A Symonds
SM Katich
MEK Hussey
MJ Clarke
IJ Harvey
JN Gillespie
GD McGrath
MS Kasprowicz
B Lee
GB Hogg
SK Warne

England
MP Vaughan (C)
CMW Read +
ME Trescothick
PD Collingwood
A Flintoff
A McGrath
AJ Strauss
IJ Blackwell
RJ Clarke
SJ Harmison
D Gough
J Kirtley
JM Anderson
GJ Batty
AF Giles

Mr Mxyzptlk

Thorpe touches down in Barbados

[Bridgetown] Veteran batsman Graham Thorpe was called out of retirement to England service today to bolster an inexperienced World Cup squad. Thorpe arrived five hours after his team-mates, having missed the initial flight from Gatwick. His entourage is set to arrive tomorrow.

PY

International Coach
Very thankful to the selectors for keeping faith in me and hope I can repay it in full.

Now need to put on weight after being nervous and losing a few pounds. How long do we have to acclimatise? Come on team, we can do it but we need everyone's support please. :)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Hey why isn't Andy Bichel in the Australian squad? I thought he was a reliable all rounder.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
Hey why isn't Andy Bichel in the Australian squad? I thought he was a reliable all rounder.
We try to pick squads accurate to current cricket, and neither Bichel nor Bevan are contracted, which suggests that if the WC were to be played next week they would not go.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
Now need to put on weight after being nervous and losing a few pounds. How long do we have to acclimatise? Come on team, we can do it but we need everyone's support please. :)
The warmup matches start on Thursday and the fixtures for those will be released tonight at a press conference.