• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Question to people that have followed cricket media for longer than I have: Is it always like this before an Ashes series that McGrath tends to come with cheeky comments every third day, while the English prefer to be shy and not reply to them?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Question to people that have followed cricket media for longer than I have: Is it always like this before an Ashes series that McGrath tends to come with cheeky comments every third day, while the English prefer to be shy and not reply to them?
Pretty much. I prefer to view the English response as a dignified silence rather than shyness though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
I think it's also a "once bitten, twice shy" sort of thing for the English. There have been times in the past when the players have gone along a bit more (although never to the Australian degree) with the media hype about England's improved chances, only to struggle awfully from start to finish. McGrath on the other hand tends to make rather over the top and arrogrant predictions and have them come off quite well... eg Lara being his 300th victim as predicted in 2000.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think it's also a "once bitten, twice shy" sort of thing for the English. There have been times in the past when the players have gone along a bit more (although never to the Australian degree) with the media hype about England's improved chances, only to struggle awfully from start to finish. McGrath on the other hand tends to make rather over the top and arrogrant predictions and have them come off quite well... eg Lara being his 300th victim as predicted in 2000.
Yes, I particularly remember McGrath's brilliantly successful targeting of Vaughan in the 2002-03 Ashes.

Making noisy predictions about forthcoming series rather went out of fashion in England after Tony Greig promised to make West Indies grovel. I don't think an England captain has gone beyond "We've got a decent chance" ever since.

But let's recognise that a lot of this nonsense is the Australian press. They want something to write about, and the Australian players are happy to waffle on and feed them quotes with which to fill up their miserable articles. What's funny is that people take them so seriously.

Cheers,

Mike

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Build-up to the Ashes

Hogg posts top fitness record

Cricinfo staff

June 3, 2005

Brad Hogg may be one of Australia's lowest-profile players, but he is No. 1 when it comes to endurance. Hogg, a former postman, easily won the squad's bleep test - a shuttle run where the distance between alarms is gradually reduced - ahead of Michael Clarke, Damien Martyn and Mike Hussey yesterday.

"As the years go by I want to make sure the legs are still there and I'm staying fit," Hogg, who has played four Tests and 61 ODIs, told AAP. "My goal is to be the fittest in the team. Everyone is better than me at something so I have got to stay ahead somehow." Hogg's mark of 14.6 was comfortably above Clarke's 13.11.

It wasn't a good exercise for Stuart MacGill and Nathan Bracken, who were beaten by John Buchanan, the 52-year-old coach. The squad leaves for London tomorrow.

© Cricinfo

steds

Hall of Fame Member
EnglishRose said:
era loocartxeoot dna darhcir stoidi ro tahw ?

worht ni 81117cram sa llew......
Could you make yourself look any more of an idiotic tosser than you just did?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
steds said:
Could you make yourself look any more of an idiotic tosser than you just did?
Yep, he could have said tooextracool and richard were omniscient genii with a peerless knowledge of cricket.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Does that include those of the Rose form?? :blink:

no iam not a muppet.......the english muppets are tec, richard, marc, scaly piscine, superkingdave, hinton, rubble, swervy, spacemonkey, halsey.
The nonsense posted by these guys is appalling.
the quality posters are people like Scallywag.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
EnglishRose said:
the english muppets are tec, richard, marc, scaly piscine, superkingdave, hinton, rubble, swervy, spacemonkey, halsey.
Well I'm sure badgerhair would be very relieved.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
EnglishRose said:
Steds, like the other English on this forum -- you are a muppet.
Says the one who calls other people idiots backwards. 8-)

If you want to call them idiots, do it forwards so you look a tiny bit less of an arsewipe. I know it's hard for a total and utter nob, but at least try. Then try and give an explanation as to why they're idiots because your views are worth f*ck all if you can't back them up.

And finally, don't call me a muppet because I responded to you being a ****shaft, or next time I'm in Sydney I'll hunt you down and bang you all the way back to England

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
steds said:

If you want to call them idiots, do it forwards so you look a tiny bit less of an arsewipe. I know it's hard for a total and utter nob, but at least try. Then try and give an explanation as to why they're idiots because your views are worth f*ck all if you can't back them up.

And finally, don't call me a muppet because I responded to you being a ****shaft, or next time I'm in Sydney I'll hunt you down and bang you all the way back to England
Can't be bothered explaining why they're idiiots because being an idiot yourself, you won't be able to comprehend.

Next time you're in Sydney -- ha that's a laugh, mate do you even know where Sydney is ?
For you English, the world seems to stop and ends at the Channel islands.

OBE....Order of the BRitish Empire Right / What Empire :p :p :p

Swervy

International Captain
steds said:

:blink: whatever floats your boat Steds :D