• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** ICC Trophy Thread

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Also a shame Roland Lefebvre has finally retired. A stalwart of the Dutch game for a long time, IIRC. Also got a cool name. :D

cricket player

International Debutant
Slightly off topic,

I hope USA gets full Odis status,They are going to be paid heavely by The USCA Every time they win a match they will be given 20000 dollars.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
hmm...losing to NCU President's XI (who lost to Bermuda ffs!) and Namibia isnt looking very helpfull to USA so far, but you never know eeh :)

JeffStar

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
my lastest attempt at a column ;)
========
click the link too, give me the shameless 'hits' and too see the logo, opinions always welcome.
===========
http://bigcricket.com/
==========
Old Glory or Old Geezers
--(click above link to sign graphic)--
A recent thread at USCricket.com stated a need for a nickname for the USA cricket team. i professed the silliness of such a 'need', and then of course sat long and hard (ten minutes) and came up with the idea of Old Glory. The name has the perfect blend of sweet comedy, rich history, and a splash of cheesy-ness.

Comedy is the play on the fact that the team's average age is 40+, the oldest in the history of ODI's. Rich History is the term 'old glory' is a name for the American Flag, first was "coined by Captain William Driver, a shipmaster of Salem, Massachusetts, in 1831. As he was leaving on one of his many voyages aboard the brig CHARLES DOGGETT - and this one would climax with the rescue of the mutineers of the BOUNTY - some friends presented him with a beautiful flag of twenty four stars. As the banner opened to the ocean breeze for the first time, he exclaimed "Old Glory!". The Splash of cheesy-ness is of course me taking the time to come up with one. Ha! i can just see it now, Cricinfo, BBC, Cricket365 and all the other sites referring them as the Old Glory... or not.

Stats Don't Lie

Stats don't lie, but women who I bought a drink at the pub and then promises to return in a moment but doesn't, does lie. Anyway, as for the stats- two practice matches down, two loses.

Captain Oh Captain

USA Captain Richard Staple went for ducks in the first two practice matches. Not good for the team leader. Hopefully since these were just warm-up matches, he will get his kinks out before the real matches start. His words seem to be speaking louder than his actions, with him recently taking a jab at Aussie captain Ricky Ponting after his remarks on the old age and terrible play USA had last year. Too bad his big comments were not followed up with some big cricket playing.

Exciting Times

It was announced that the ICC decided to make the upcoming tournament not just qualifiers for the WC, but also the top five teams plus Kenya " will be able to play full one-day internationals against each other, or any of the Full Members..." as reported by Martin Williamson here. this is great news as the tournament in Ireland now has a lasting impact, well beyond the World Cup. Hopefully with this new status, and the money that comes with it, there will be some genuine and frequent competitions for these second tier countries.

USA Schedule

ok, the key matches for USA are, well all of the matches. they open July 1st vs UAE, then 2nd vs Denmark, 4th of July (a super-must win for the Old Glory) vs Uganda, 5th vs Ireland, and close out the opening round vs Bermuda on the 7th. SO in a matter of 7 days will decide basically the future of American cricket for the next 4 years. A win on day one i think will be a huge boost for the Old Glory as UAE is a tourny favorite.

Twenty20 + ProCricket USA=?

well, it equals nothing, at least for 2005 it seems. No mention of the upcoming season, and since it is already 2 days from july, I'd say its safe to say there will be no 'pro' (pro being used very loosely) cricket this year domestically here. All well, i guess i will settle for the ICC Trophy, the NatWest Series and Challenge, the Ashes and the Twenty20 English domestic competitions. not too bad i guess after all (but come'on, am i the only one who wanted to see the NY Sixers take the field this year?).

The Winner?

no not for the ICC Trophy, but for best website coverage of the tournament? Odds out favorite would be www.ICCTrophy2005.org but are there any other sites that are expected to give good coverage?

My Predictions?

Honestly, my predictions don't matter, but what does and will be exciting is to see USA qualify for many reasons. First you have a team in the WC but with no voice at the ICC meetings, and no board that is officially recognized by the ICC. If they do make it to the WC and gain that new ODI type status, what happens to the money thats suppose to come with it since the ICC put a hold on money given to USA until the warring sides results in a winner (with no end in sight since one side is taking the other to New York court).

Also, if Old Glory make it, will the same players who qualify for the WC still be on the team that actually plays in it? Not likely if the 'rebel' group gains control of the board.

Finally, if USA gets this new status and the right to hold ODI's, where will they actually play the games in this country? Where's our version of Lords, or the MCG? What's the status of the great stadium that's suppose to be built in Fort Lauderdale?

Thats it, i'm AllOut!

Steulen

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
If Holland get blown out the water by an average minor side like ourselves, they're going nowhere.
Anyone can have a bad day at the office. Dutch results are normally a lot better.

Good to see them beat UAE, who I suspect will qualify from Group A alongside Ireland.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Oman are 5/24 against Scotland. Hoffman has 4/2 from 4 overs.
Denmark's struggling against Uganda
Canada's got off to a shaky start against Namibia

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
James90 said:
No surprise there, he's good at economical bowling

James90 said:
No surprise there, either.

James90 said:
Back to 98 for 2 now, Davison on 65 not out :D

Two wickets from a guy called Borden has Ireland at 88 for 3, Ed Joyce on 18 not out.

PNG are 50 for 7 and going down badly against Netherlands, Edgar Schiferli taking five for 20, while Oman are now 47 for 7 - Hoffmann with six for 12.

Steulen

International Regular
PNG 69ao, Ten Doeschate taking 4 to complement Schiferli's 5. Easy start for the Dutch, it seems.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Round-up after 40 overs:

Denmark 132 for 3 against Uganda, look on their way to hit 190. Top scorer R Hansen with 58 not out.

Canada 212 for 4 (36 overs) against Namibia, John Davison finally out for 125, can't have faced much more than 100 balls (made an 88-ball ton), Ian Billcliff on 60*. Three Burgers with a wicket each.

UAE 168 for 8 (32.2 overs) against USA, Khuram Khan making another big score with 62 not out, extras second highest scorer with 36. Anthony taking five for 23, the third five-for of the tournament.

Netherlands 17 for 1 (6 overs) against PNG's 69. de Grooth run out for a duck, Bas Zuiderent and Daan van Bunge look to win it for the Dutch.

Oman 83 ao, Hoffmann six wickets, Dewald Nel three. Scots innings haven't started yet.

Ireland 217 for 3 (40 overs) against Bermuda. Eoin Morgan on 85 not out, Ed Joyce on 71 not out, they look to make 300+ at Stormont.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
James90 said:
Where are you getting the scores from?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Ireland 8/315 on the back of an Ed Joyce hundred. I'm tipping them to get to the semis undefeated. Scotland and Holland have just won but Scotland's batting's a bit of a worry.

Steulen

International Regular
Good showing by the Dutch. Their bowling is/was a point of worry, but it looks like Schiferli has hit some form at the right moment and Ten Doeschate is a welcome addition.

Battingwise, Zuiderent, van Bunge and Ten Doeschate alone should be enough to see them through.

Easy win for the Scots as well, Namibia vs. Canada predictably looking like the first match with any impact on eventual WC qualification (and so much more...).

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Canada 284 a.o. in 48.1 overs, Davison 125, Billcliff 90. The Burgers took nine wickets between them for Namibia. :blink:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Burgers are awesome. Are they all brothers?

Ireland look really good for mine. Ed Joyce is surely the best player in the tournament, given that he's in serious test consideration for England?

Steulen

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
The Burgers are awesome. Are they all brothers?

Ireland look really good for mine. Ed Joyce is surely the best player in the tournament, given that he's in serious test consideration for England?
That's a pretty safe bet, yes. Davison the only other player that comes close, I'd say.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
The ICC trophy website isn't working for me... Its displaying an old version of the site despite refreshing the page 10 times... It's still showing all the matches starting at 10.45 BST instead of any scores.