• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Someone obviously had a bad day...

Pace, pace... spin?
by Abhinav Shankar

The West-Indian attack of the 80`s. The current Australian team. What two things do these sides have in common? Multiple fast-bowlers that win matches.

Spinners are taking over Cricketweb land. It`s that simple. The Webhead spinners are doing their job for the National Team, not to mention their amazing work in the domestic competition. But with this success, flaws in the pace-bowling department are critically exposed.

The CWXI ODI team is steadily churning along, with moderate success. But when they`re not playing shortened, meaningless matches, they are failing in the big-boys version of the game.

For a bowler, wickets and averages mean the world. The bowlers with the most wickets and best average for the CWXI? Neil Pickup and Tom Halsey, two spinners. This consistency in productive spinners has certainly helped the national side remain competitive. But how do the pacemen fair? Quicks Kennett, Camps, Bhatia and Rose, despite their decent domestic form, have averages in the 30`s, 40`s and beyond. When considering the selectors reluctance to play two spinners, this is terrible news. The only bowler to go against the trend is KS Wright, but even he is averaging over 31 in the domestic competition.

Former pace bowler Nath Patrick was asked about what he thought of his fellow quick bowlers. “The statistics show that our pace generation is clearly suffering, and I`m not sure why. The talent is there, the effort is there... just not the results. Perhaps a special fast-bowling camp should be set-up for a few weeks, to mould the guys together? My statistics certainly weren`t impressive for Cricketweb Blue, and I blame that on my inconsistency, a lack of concentration.”

When asked about a possible return to competitive cricket, Nathan laughed and answered “I`m not ruling anything out. I`ve missed my cricket... that`s all there is to say.”

Let`s have a look at the current domestic bowling statistics for the senior bowlers, with the spinners in bold.

Bhatia 386 @ 25.77
Broadbent 100 @ 28.48
Camps 147 @ 32.21
Collins 148 @ 27.23
Halsey 314 @ 26.75
Hoy 192 @ 21.92
Kennett 350 @ 27.75
Patrick 195 @ 28.68
Pickup 389 @ 28.37
Richards 145 @ 25.08
Rose 230 @ 25.14
Timewell 190 @ 19.84
Verghese 142 @ 35.20
Watt 322 @ 26.78
Wright 314 @ 31.42

The alarm bells are ringing after viewing these statistics. What other nation has only two of their senior pace bowlers with averages under 25? For the two that do, Hoy is a rising star (Why hasn`t he played a Test?) but Timewell is another story. He has incredible talent, but alongside it, a lazy attitude and ignorance for the feelings of team-mates and officials alike.

The aforementioned international bowlers domestic averages are 27.75, 32.21, 25.77, 25.14 and 31.42. Hardly outstanding for world-class bowlers.

Player`s Association Representative Andrew Garven was very clear with what he thought. “As shown by the results of the Dev. League last season pace bowling is the key to a teams success, Hoy and Timewell dominated for Green and Bhatia for Black. Success in the Dev. League doesn't seem to translate to test cricket though. Kyle Wright for instance, our 'premier' quick in test cricket averages in the high 20's, with others such as Kennett, Bhatia and Camps have averaged in the 40's. This is not a good record in any way and we really need more out of our all pace bowlers if we are going to become competitive on the international scene.”

When asked about what initiatives the CWBCC Board could implement, Mr. Garven commented “That`s a tough question, I think that the board needs to see the urgency of the issue, perhaps preparing more batsman and spinner friendly wickets in the Dev. League would enable our quicks to better learn their trade.”

And so it seems that the days where a paceman can enjoy a seamer-friendly wicket and be encouraged, are over.

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
interesting views. certinally dont think creating spinner friendly pitches will help. youngsters will see the spinners become more dominant than the quicks, and we will see a flood of spinners and only a trickle of quicks coming through

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can we fix it?

The Solution?
by Abhinav Shankar

The future. It can hold good, it can hold bad. For a side that is struggling, it can hold a key to success. The CWXI Test-side will certainly be hoping that the next-generation of pace bowlers can thrive upon the pressure of the international scene. So who are the members of this ‘next-generation’?

NA Borcich
44 wickets @ 24.02
Inexperienced paceman of just one season. Holds an immaculate line and length, but can tend to stray in pressure situations. A bright prospect indeed.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Funny man, fellow Croat. Good luck to him.”

AAA Collins
148 wickets @ 27.23
Extremely accurate left-arm medium pacer, with an economy of around two runs-per-over. Medium pacers never seem to get a chance in the big-time. Perhaps it`s time things start to change.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “I bowled alongside Adam when playing for the Blues. He won`t let you down.”

BC Cunningham
100 wickets @ 22.64
This man is most likely to soon break into the International side. Perhaps a question about his dedication to the game, but apart from that, looks the goods. Should grab many a wicket during the next few seasons.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “I see Bryce as the most promising of these players. Self-confidence is the key.”

TJ Demeza
74 wickets @ 28.08
The key thing about this man is his strike-rate. A stand-out figure of 47.4. Unmatched in this statistic, and more importantly, his pace, “...wickets will come while the body be able”.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Amazing young sensation. Another player I was glad to play with, a positive bloke.”

NS Hoy
192 wickets @ 21.92
The stand-out bowler from last season. Nagging length and teasing slower ball, Hoy has a fantastic domestic record. After a rough start for the CWXI, one hopes he will develop into a match-winner for his country.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Should settle into the playing XI nicely.”

MW Wilson
88 wickets @ 25.25
Dubbed ‘The Chosen One’. A potential game-breaker with the ball and more than handy with the bat, he will always be around the game`s best.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Might be injury-prone with his bowling action. Should look to senior players to reach his potential.”

Look out for these players – coming to a ground near you!

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Despite the author's negative views about some of the more matured pace bowlers in the system, I'm happy with my 322 @ 26.78, and have full intention of making late entry into the test team in the coming season(s). However there is some great talent on show at the moment, hopefully consistancy will stay with most of them.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Due to me updating them as the Club Cricket goes along. The article is based on the stats given at the end of last dev league I believe.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Due to me updating them as the Club Cricket goes along. The article is based on the stats given at the end of last dev league I believe.
Spot on Mr. Davidson.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Despite the author's negative views about some of the more matured pace bowlers in the system, I'm happy with my 322 @ 26.78, and have full intention of making late entry into the test team in the coming season(s). However there is some great talent on show at the moment, hopefully consistancy will stay with most of them.

with Bhatia's retirement it certainly makes your part back into the side look alot easier :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
It`s your turn.
by Abhinav Shankar

Neil Pickup, Tom Halsey and Dave Richards are the three spinners vying for a spot in the CWXI. Pickup, the senior spin bowler, holds his spot, getting the job done consistently. Halsey, who also bowls leg-spin, can`t seem to find a spot alongside or instead of Pickup. The ‘new-kid’ Richards, with his left-armers, keeps the runs down and grabs the occasional wicket. All three have their unique style. But they won`t be around forever.

SA Bennett
97 wickets @ 27.56
Another leg-spinner. Has a bit of a sharper wrist action than the two senior leggies. Decent batting makes him a possible one-day prospect. Not sure if he has the accuracy to nag for a Test-spot. The Reds have used him extremely well, he plays in a variety of roles.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Sean is a very good friend. One of the hardest workers I know, he`ll get places.”

SC Popat
109 wickets @ 26.49
Very good economy-rate. Does a job.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Played alongside the man for the Blues. A handy bowler I consider to be more than a part-timer. Apparently learnt everything from Ronchi.”

RG Verghese
142 wickets @ 35.20
Hardly a youngster, but none-the-less, always in contention. Not a huge wicket-taker, but will always give 100%
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Extremely modest fellow. Will always be around.”

TV Weber
80 wickets @ 26.33
Worked wonders for Green. Relative unknown, sneaks up on opposing batsmen with nagging line. Starting to take wickets more often.
Nath Patrick`s comment: “Strong-minded, Weber always gives his opinion. Leaves the batsmen dis-satisfied more often than not.”

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because we have Pickup, so don't need anyone else?
With the amount of fast bowling all rounders coming through, there always the option of playing an extra spinner. But i guess it all depends on the pitch and the type of balance you want in your side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why play a second spinner if there's no real need?

And outside of the subcontinent, there's no need.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even on the subcontinent, the double spin attack never really prospered. Dave Richards was solid and impressive, but the top spin prospect in the system (considering Neil is an established international) is Tom Halsey and he was pretty dire.

Regarding fast bowler development, an Academy is in the works.

David

International 12th Man
CW Rumour Mill

The Trouble with Thunderbirds
Loddy Twinshins

After a recent outburst at fellow Cricketweb Red member Håkon Moerk about his Yorkshire connection, some disturbing rumours have surfaced around San Fernando. Young Bennett, most famous for his support of the Reds, has recently been carrying out a witch hunt after a fellow member(s) sent him mail with newspaper clippings involving the word Yorkshire. One even went so far to send this particular missive. I should avise those of a gentle disposition to look away now.

"Yorkshire are better than you, Bennett"

Young Sean was understandably shaken after this verbal attack, and has become determined to find the culprit. So far this hasn't undermined the performance of the team, but if Bennett find's his man there may be trouble.....

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
David said:
The Trouble with Thunderbirds
Loddy Twinshins

After a recent outburst at fellow Cricketweb Red member Håkon Moerk about his Yorkshire connection, some disturbing rumours have surfaced around San Fernando. Young Bennett, most famous for his support of the Reds, has recently been carrying out a witch hunt after a fellow member(s) sent him mail with newspaper clippings involving the word Yorkshire. One even went so far to send this particular missive. I should avise those of a gentle disposition to look away now.

"Yorkshire are better than you, Bennett"

Young Sean was understandably shaken after this verbal attack, and has become determined to find the culprit. So far this hasn't undermined the performance of the team, but if Bennett find's his man there may be trouble.....
:laugh::laugh::laugh: