• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
open365 said:
:laugh: @ the place where Pickup just played.

I've been to some pretty weird grounds in my time, but that's taking the biscuit.
My local has a hill like that, the amount of people that have fallen over running backwards to take a catch is huge :)

Matteh

Langeveldt said:
It's like the bloody cheese run in Gloucestershire, wow
Isn't that the Dover's Hill Games?
It's massively overrated, except for seeing people you know taking part in the shin-kicking and just getting thrown down into mud.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Matteh said:
Isn't that the Dover's Hill Games?
It's massively overrated, except for seeing people you know taking part in the shin-kicking and just getting thrown down into mud.
People break arms and necks and stuff

Matteh

Langeveldt said:
People break arms and necks and stuff
I threw an egg off Dover's Hill once, and suprisingly it didn't break. So i ran down and got it without a problem. Usually it gets stupidly muddy when they do the cheese roll though.

Chubb

International Regular
Monday

Old Haberdashers 209-7 (42 ovs.)
Kilmington 212-9 (35 ovs. J. Seward 91, Chubb 48, I. Gooding 31* J. Lavender 21)

Stonkingly good game, this. I came in to bat at 0-1, and saw off the Haberdashers opening bowlers. Kilmington were 30-3 when John Lavender, a legend of the old East Devon League, came out to join me. I tried to give him the strike but when he got out we were 47-4 with only 17 overs left. Fortunately, Seward is a Devon U17 batsman. He hit his first ball for six and suddenly we were flying along. I played my part, giving him as much of the strike as possible and hitting the odd boundary as well. My problem was that, whilst I was capable of staying in against the Haberdashers attack, I couldn't score as quickly as we needed to. However it didn't matter when Seward was batting as well as he did. Once, he smashed the ball straight back at me at the non-strikers end, I tried to avoid it but got hit on the side of my chest. I have a large bruise there right now.

At least this time I wasn't aware of how close I was to a fifty, and getting out bowled actually helped the team because Gooding, who was good enough to score quickly against the attack, came in with sixty still needed. Soon, Kilmington only needed 20 off the last 4 overs. A Haberdasher dropped a catch on the boundary and tipped it over the line for six, which helped, but then Seward chipped a catch to point. Gooding managed to run out numbers 8 and 10, 9 fell for a golden duck, and number 11 was left on strike with three balls left and two to win, but a scampered couple of byes off the penultimate ball finally settled the issue (it rolled away for 4 byes, hence the score) Fantastic end to a fantastic match.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
awesome chubb :) unlucky to not score that 50 again!
I know that feeling 2 years ago I scored 40+ after 40+ but just couldn't score that 50...
5 weeks ago, I opened the batting, and although the 50 crossed my mind a few times, I never was really busy with it, and then in the 20th over everyone applauded me for my 50 :D such a relief.. :)

Chubb

International Regular
Countess Wear 47 a/o (B. Foxwell 6-32, M. Joyce 4-14)
Upottery 48-3 (G. Kennard 17*, M. Button-Stephens 10*, Chubb 10)

This was just the most incredible performance. Wear had come to Upottery looking to win to stay in the hunt for promotion, and with us being fourth from bottom in the league they had a right to be confident. Out strode their prolific opener, to face the first ball of the match from Bob Foxwell. Bob came charging in and bowled a massive in-swinger that knocked his leg stump out of the ground. Awesome. And more was to come. Foxwell carried on bowling incredibly well, clean bowled another three Wear top-order bats and suddenly the promotion challengers were 12-4. Then Mark Joyce got the Wear No. 5 to cut straight to Willow Drew in the gully. 21-5. Fowell induced an edge from the No. 7 which was snaffled by the keeper, then yorked yet another batsman: 31-7. By this time it was bedlam. Wear were huddled under a tree on the boundary watching their dreams being destroyed.

Next, the Wear No. 9 drove weakly outside his off stump off Joyce, getting the edge that flew low to our captain Gaz at slip. Now, he's had a torrid time their this year but amazingly he held on to the catch just inches off the ground, reducing his brother the keeper to a joyous dance. We just couldn't believe everything was going so right. Joyce cleared up the tail and Wear were blown away for 47.

It was tough batting on that wicket and I struggled but of course it didn't matter in the end. The match was over by 4.10pm, having taken only 30 overs. What a brilliant performance from our bowlers, what a way to influence the result of our league with our two neighbouring sides Churchinford and and Yarcombe going up. The only question was "why couldn't we play like that every day?".

Attachments

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not been a good few days for Countess Wear, then - as the following story tells...

Bank Holiday Monday: Exeter St James Six-a-side

Sherborne Old Boys 78-1 [5]
Exeter III 38 [4.4] - Pickup 16 (5)

We're called Exeter thirds. Fundamentally, we're Exeter fifths, or in terms of strength of side we could feasibly enter in a six a side tournament, we're more like eighths. The average age is 14 and a half, it's only that high because I'm 20, and one of us is eleven. At least the draw is kind enough for us to avoid the Village VI, who've won this the last three years, and Budleigh Salterton, who've picked their overseas pro.

We, nevertheless, did draw Sherborne OB, who've been the runners-up for the last three years. We start reasonably well with the ball until our last two overs go for 41. I decide to reconsider the idea of keeping wicket whilst the 11-year-old bowls - we're both likely to go at 20 per over bowling leggies, but at least my spirits won't be crushed. In reply, things didn't go well. At all.

I came to the crease after 3.4 of our five overs, after Matt (13) was given out caught having fended a beamer off his head - the scoreboard read 22/3, and we needed 57 from 8 balls. I hit my first ball for four through midwicket, and the next went over the keeper for two. The first ball of the final over saw a brilliant catch from slip, diving away to take a skier after a long run, which left me facing with 51 needed off five. One went for four over midwicket and then I hit my first ever six. Of all the places I could have hit it in, it was driven over cover from - as every shot I played was - two steps down the track. It's not how I expected to finally record a maximum, but I wasn't complaining. Unfortunately, I then got cleaned up.

Exeter St James Colts 70-2 [5]
Exeter III 48-1 [5] - T Miller 25*

This time our last three overs only cost 30 between them; unfortunately the damage had already been done as ESJ were 40-0 after two. My first ball of the tournament thudded straight into leg stump, much to the surprise of everyone, and my over only costs eight. Two streaky fours off the final deliveries push the opposition up to 70.

I was persuaded to open after my fireworks against Sherborne - my first ball pitched back of a length and hit leg stump via my right ankle to record my thirteenth duck, fourth golden and first diamond. As I reflected on my walk back, there's not much you can do with a grubber when your entire game plan consists of launching the ball wherever your swing takes it. 11-year-old Theo batted through the innings to make 25*, including some great footwork and hard hits through midwicket. Still, it wasn't not a win - or even close - and it's not much fun losing...

Countess Wear 68-1 [5]
Exeter III 69-2 [4.5] - M Miller 23*, Thomson 20, Pickup 12* (4)

The first 15 balls of the CW innings cost just 17 runs, and yielded a run out as they made the mistake of taking on Theo's arm from the boundary. Unfortunately the last 15 balls cost precisely three times as many, and despite my over being on a much 'better' length and line than against the ESJ side, it cost 20 including two giant sixes over the legside. Still, it was just 14 per over, and if we got off to a start, then of course we could get it. I wasn't sure whether I was trying harder to convince myself or the other players, but I didn't let on. Like I'd said to Matt earlier, if you don't think you've got a chance of winning, then you might as well go home.

We got off to a start. Hugh (14) cut the first ball through point, and after three overs we were 42 without loss through a combination of big hits and bigger edges - but Hugh fell for 20, holing out, to the first ball of the fourth over, and we only managed nine from it. Six balls left, and eighteen were needed. I'd done it against SOB earlier, I told the others, so we could do it again. Pete nicked the next ball to the keeper. 18 off 5. It wasn't impossible. "All or nothing", I told Matt as I walked out to the middle.

Trusting the down-the-pitch approach again, I hit my first ball straight to long-on - who completely misjudged it, came in several steps too far and watched it sail over his head for four. Still alive. The next ball caught a thick inside edge and sped away through backward square for four more - ten off three. The next ball caught an even thicker edge - of the outside variety this time - and bounced twice on its way to the third man boundary. I can't remember exactly what I said to Matt after that ball, but it was sufficiently unprintable for me to apologise immediately afterwards...

Six needed off two. The next ball was wider, outside off stump and my swing failed to connect with anything but fresh air. However, I think the blast wave put the wicketkeeper off, and we scrambled two byes before an overthrow gifted us a third. One ball, three needed. I set off running at the moment the bowler released the ball, and was virtually at the striker's end by the time it met the keeper's gloves. Unfortunately for CW, the ball was again wide outside off stump - too wide, in fact - and wides cost three. We'd done it.

My batting yield for the day was ten balls faced, 28 runs scored, five fours and a six. In one of those wonderful statistical oddities that cricket so often hurls up, Shahid Afridi had an identical return for Pakistan in the Twenty20 clash with England.

ESJ Colts lost to Village in the first semi-final, but not before making 62 and allowing us to feel better about conceding 70, before Sherborne shocked Budleigh Salterton - even with their Aussie (who had taken 6 6 6 6 6 4 off an over against Coaver in the groups - the four bounced about three yards from the boundary) and set up a repeat of the 2005 final. And the 2004 final. And the 2003 final. And Village won again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
My batting yield for the day was ten balls faced, 28 runs scored, five fours and a six. In one of those wonderful statistical oddities that cricket so often hurls up, Shahid Afridi had an identical return for Pakistan in the Twenty20 clash with England.
Considering quality of bowling attack, I dare say you're better than Afridi...

Chubb

International Regular
Boffins 230-9 40ovs (C. Lopez 5-25)
Kilmington 183 a/o (G. Watts 60, Chubb 55)

Finally did it, but for the wrong club.

The Boffins are the side that the novelist Sebastian Faulks plays for, alongside his brother Ed who is a high-flying barrister. They get together for a Devon tour each year- I think this was something like their fifty-eigth tour.

As you can see, we had Axminster's overseas pro Carlitos "Cally" Lopez playing for us and he is frighteningly quick. Their openers did well to get through his opening burst intact, though they both got hit twice. Unfortunately the rest of our bowling wasn't too hot and Boffins scored quite quickly, until Cally came back on and cleaned bowled four of them in two overs.

I opened the batting, and put on 100 with Graham Watts. I never really thought about getting a fifty, I was just trying to stay in against some pretty good bowling from Ed Faulks and another guy who came in off two paces but hurled it down far faster than you thought it would be. After Watts got out their captain brought himself on. His first ball was very short and out side off stump so I "uppercutted" it for four over point. then the next ball was fuller and on leg, but I missed a leg-glance and got hit on the back of my back leg. Then, another shorter, wider one and I went for the cut, bottom edged it between keeper and slips and it ran down for four. Then the spectators started applauding. To be honest, it was a bit anticlimatic. I'd expected to feel exhilarated but I didn't. The next ball was full and outside off so, uncharacteristically, I drove it over cover for four. Next over, though, I tried to drive a spinner back over his head but miscued and gave him a C&B chance which he took. Some people weren't sure if it was a bump ball or not, but I walked anyway because it was a friendly.

Then Kilmington collapsed. we had been 130-2 when I got out but suddenly wickets started tumbling. Cally could have won the game with his power hitting but got a second-baller, which annoyed him a lot and ended our chances of winning.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neil, did you see- Upottery U11s won a match! The kids beat Seaton, kept em down to 55 and then they knocked them off. I think it's the first time. They must be very proud. Don't know what happened to the U15 section though.

In other news, I am about to follow you as the second cricketwebber to appear on University Challenge. 12th of June is the recording date. Should be fun.
If you read this Alex, bad luck mate. Must have been gutting to go out like that.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Couldn't be arsed makin a new thread.

Played for my club's third team against Northen 4s, batted at 6 came in with 4 overs left got bowled second ball by a straight full toss, we ended up drawing.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
My first game won't be a for a while, at least for my age team. Hopefully I'll get some 2nds/3rds action before that. Should be a good season though, hoping to get some more runs at adult level.

Could a kind mod also change the thread title to 2007?

Matteh

Won't get to play for my club til the start of June really. However from what i hear i stand a good chance of breaking into the illustrious Bangor Uni 1sts.

Chubb

International Regular
If you read this Alex, bad luck mate. Must have been gutting to go out like that.
That's not the half of it, actually.

We were 160-140 up on Warwick, less than five minutes left. Jeremy asks a question about a Spanish seaside resort, I thought it might be San Sebastian, but the Warwick captain beat me on the buzzer, she answered "Santander"- Jeremy says "No", I buzz, but, as the "UEA FENSOME" comes in, Jeremy continues "It's San Sebastian"....

The following exchange then ensues
Me: "But Jeremy, I knew the answer, I was going to say San Sebastian."
Jeremy: "Oh, well, I'll take your word for it... no wait, I'm being told we can't do that... We'll have to rewind the tape."
Me: (mumble)
Jeremy: "What was that over there?"
Me: "If we lose, you've just lost us the game, Jeremy."
Jeremy: (silence)

And of course we did lose, and Warwick are now in the final. He told me it was only a game afterwards, I should have said "If it's only a game, why are you paid £250,000 not to make mistakes like that?"

He's changed the whole result of the competition. I don't think we'd have made the final but Warwick don't deserve to be there, and I hope they know it. He ruined the whole experience, not just for me but for our whole team. He's a human, he makes mistakes, but he could at least have apologised. And of sourse they edited it out of the programme.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Thorverton Reddick X 85 all out [19]; 157 for 15 [32]
Thorverton Pickup X 122 for 9 [32]

Exeter St James could only find three players today, so they cried off from a visit to the mighty Thorverton. The result was our cobbling together of 20 players of various different ages and abilities for a 32-over effort.

On actually winning a toss, I started keeping wicket, and did a horrible job of it. A serious surfeit of byes began the innings, but we held it together reasonably well and Jamie, at 17 one of the old hands in the side, speared in two superb inswinging yorkers to knock over the Reddick XI openers.

Josh (11) and James (10) then got through four very handy overs apiece, and their equally young middle order made very slow progress up to drinks. I then abandoned the pads and had a little lofted trundle, bowling at about 20mph to try inspiring shots out of kids. It worked, as I had one batsman stumped and caught off the same ball by the replacement keeper, 11-year-old Harry. Another fell, stumped, soon after to end their innings on 85. However, we'd agreed to fill the 32 overs, so the openers came back in, and they made their way through to 157. I did manage to pull off my best catch ever, running backwards at midwicket, one hand behind me and over my head, and jumping. I then apologised as the batsman was 11.

In reply, we started nicely but a horrible mix-up between Harry and George, our Devon U17 player who was supposed to score all the runs, signalled a very turgid middle-over period as we failed to get the damn thing off the square. By the time Harry holed out in the 22nd over, we were 68/4 and needing a miracle. I tried - coming down the track incessantly and hitting four boundaries (including my first ball, straight down the ground), but the asking rate was too much, particularly as I failed to find the middle at alll, our tail was particularly young. I finished the game with 31* from 28 balls, and one evil glare from little James having ran him out.

I'm now averaging 47 for the season at a strike rate of 106.82, but it feels hollow having fallen 35 runs short of their final target. Granted, we scored more than they did all-out, but it feels like we should've made that chase...