• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any Aussies reading this board?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Di Venuto Fan said:
so basically it is all down to $$$$$$ then?

i assume that Tasmania are not the richest club and therefore cannot attract the top players ,while the NSW and WA etc have $$$$$ so they get the top players or am i being cynical?
Whilst you don't have to play for your state of birth, most players like to. This means that some states do, yes, have advantages. Look at NSW and you will see what i mean. Also look up Simon Katich. Hes got an interesting story seeing as he moved from WA to NSW.

Rich2001

International Captain
Di Venuto Fan said:
any English players ever played as an overseas player recently.?i somehow doubt it.

cheers
Hey Di Venuto Fan

I did a little searching for you and I couldn't find a new list of squad numbers either, so I would asume at them being the same.

Also in reply to your above comment on English guys playing in the Aussie game, I was slighty surprised to see Chris Bassano name among the Tigers team from last season - Did you know he was out there playing?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Pura Cup does have a final, yes. It always seems to be contested between Queensland and someone else.
You're showing how old you aren't, mate. :D I still remember when QLD couldn't win the competition and used to get lampooned for it every year. Their choking at the end of each season rivalled Collingwood's in the AFL/VFL. :D

Also in reply to your above comment on English guys playing in the Aussie game, I was slighty surprised to see Chris Bassano name among the Tigers team from last season - Did you know he was out there playing?
Chris Bassano was originally a Tassie U/19's player (back in about 1991). I've got a photo of him keeping against Vic, Brad Hodge the batsman in an old magazine.

assume that Tasmania are not the richest club and therefore cannot attract the top players ,while the NSW and WA etc have $$$$$ so they get the top players or am i being cynical?
WA came second-bottom last year so if they have a recruiting strategy, it ain't working. ;) I think they have systemic problems with their management at the WACA which alienates the top players eventually. The treatment of guys like Tim Zoehrer, Tom Moody, Brendon Julian etc. over the years has been atrocious.

is it not like over her in Uk then? do you have to have been born in the State you play in to play for them? you cant change teams like in UK?so like Diva couldnt go to play for WA?
Well just look at the NSW squad;

Matt Nicholson and Stuart MacGill come from WA.

Brad Haddin and Michael Bevan come from the ACT.

The SA squad has several guys from other states like Shane Deitz (NSW), Dave Fitzgerald (WA), John Davison (Vic), etc.

WA has guys like Brad Williams (Victoria), Tassie have Shane Jurgenson (QLD, and recently moved back there), Shane Watson (QLD), etc. and it goes on.

Rich2001

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Chris Bassano was originally a Tassie U/19's player (back in about 1991). I've got a photo of him keeping against Vic, Brad Hodge the batsman in an old magazine.
Oh ok I was mistaken, I just saw his name on the new contract list and his name was under "Uncontracted Squad Members" So just asumed he was one that missed out on a new contract this season.

Mr. P

Top_Cat said:
You're showing how old you aren't, mate. :D I still remember when QLD couldn't win the competition and used to get lampooned for it every year. Their choking at the end of each season rivalled Collingwood's in the AFL/VFL. :D
Yes i kno but i was speaking of recent times, and if you look at the last few finals, you'll see i speak the truth.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Queensland vs NSW last season

Game 1: Draw
QLD 5/507 dec (Nash 176, Caseldine 124, Nash 2/58)
NSW 443 (Phelps 147, M Clarke 134, Mackenzie 3/98)
QLD 1/216 ( Nash 81*, Bracken 1/9)

Game 2: NSW win by 241 runs
NSW 102 (Haddin 38, Noffke 6/24)
QLD 190 (Payne 55, Love 43, Macgill 5/52, Katich 3/55)
NSW 8/477dec (S Waugh 138, M Clarke 120, Hopes 3/102)
QLD 148 (Love 43, Macgill 4/76, Nash 4/10)

Final: NSW win by 264 runs
NSW 282 (M Slater 100, S Katich 82, Dawes 5/66)
QLD 84 (Seccombe 24, Macgill 5/16, Nash 2/9)
NSW 263 (S Waugh 56, Mail 47, Dawes 3/64, noffke 2/19)
QLD 215 Caseldine 65, Macgill and Katich both took 3/43)

NSW look the stronger side to me - QLD did not have Hayden or Bichel, NSW did not have Lee, McGrath or Bevan..

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
re:Bass
He was a member of Tasmania's Sheffield Shield squad between 1995-96 and represented their Second XI in 2000, as well as scoring heavily for Gloucestershire Seconds.

Well-known to and highly recommended by Michael Di Venuto

re: Diva. call me naive but when i spoke to him at Derby he has always struck me as real top bloke.okay if you were cynical you could point out to me that he is on top $$$ and therefore he should be nice but he struck me as diamond chap.
I asked him why he stayed at such a poor club like Derby and he said that he doesnt like chopping and changing and he is happy at Derby and he likes the place. I admire his loyalty as without a doubt any of the other counties in England would snap him out like a shot but he has stayed loyal to a poor side and i really respect the guy for that.He could have walked away and i would not have blamed him cos we are bloody awful.

i see the same scenario in Aus. Obv being born in Horbart i see him being loyal and staying at the club he was born at.Of course i know that the standard of cricket is a hell of a lot higher in Aus but i would have thought that Diva would have played for a higher profile team. Have Tasmania ever been good the last few years?
IMO i have a lot of respect for the guy. He is a legend and i cannot wait for him to come back next April

maybe Aus cricket aint as strong as i thought. i see Dawes and Noffke both play State cricket and they were not that impressive at all in the English game esp Dawes who looked poor

thanks for taking the time to answer the questions lads.,appreciate it

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
got it from Tas CC

Michael DiVenuto wears Number five (5) on his one day shirt

Thank you for your interest in Tasmanian cricket.

Top_Cat

Queensland vs NSW last season

Game 1: Draw
QLD 5/507 dec (Nash 176, Caseldine 124, Nash 2/58)
NSW 443 (Phelps 147, M Clarke 134, Mackenzie 3/98)
QLD 1/216 ( Nash 81*, Bracken 1/9)

Game 2: NSW win by 241 runs
NSW 102 (Haddin 38, Noffke 6/24)
QLD 190 (Payne 55, Love 43, Macgill 5/52, Katich 3/55)
NSW 8/477dec (S Waugh 138, M Clarke 120, Hopes 3/102)
QLD 148 (Love 43, Macgill 4/76, Nash 4/10)

Final: NSW win by 264 runs
NSW 282 (M Slater 100, S Katich 82, Dawes 5/66)
QLD 84 (Seccombe 24, Macgill 5/16, Nash 2/9)
NSW 263 (S Waugh 56, Mail 47, Dawes 3/64, noffke 2/19)
QLD 215 Caseldine 65, Macgill and Katich both took 3/43)

NSW look the stronger side to me - QLD did not have Hayden or Bichel, NSW did not have Lee, McGrath or Bevan..
And? Virtually identical sides played in the previous year and QLD hammered NSW in the first game and the second was a draw. It doesn't diminish my point that QLD finished a game and a half ahead of NSW. Who you or I consider stronger is irrelevent. Objectively speaking, QLD were the more successful side last year but NSW hammered them in the final.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Tas are seriosly not that bad they were a top team in the ING cup for most of last year and they really made some good scores.

The year before last they also played off in the Pura Cup Final were they were smashed but they had a good year 2001 overall.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Objectively speaking, QLD were the more successful side last year but NSW hammered them in the final.
by that logic Port Adelaide are the best AFL side??

being sucessful throughout the season doesn't mean much when you gte hammered in the final (s)

Top_Cat

by that logic Port Adelaide are the best AFL side??

being sucessful throughout the season doesn't mean much when you gte hammered in the final (s)
No dispute there but again, QLD were the most successful side in terms of wins and points last year. My opinion is that although they were outplayed in the final, they were the better side too but were beaten in the final. In most other finals, I'd tip QLD. I think NSW will struggle this year too. All my opinions but still, the objective fact remains that QLD were more successful than NSW last season.

In fact, if the comp were played in any other country, QLD would have won because Aust is one of the few to have a FC 'final' match. I actually agree with the that system too because most teams can outplay a team in one match but the better teams will be consistent over a whole season which again, suggests to me that QLD are the better side.

Also, your Port Power analogy is flawed by the fact that Port Power didn't get one chance and blow it. They lost two finals to end up where they did. Plus, they were the most successful side in the AFL this season technically (gawd, that hurt to say........).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i dont see the logic in sides not winning being considered most sucessful

i dont really think that Port would consider that they had as sucessful a season as the lions.

NSW this year i would say have by far the most imposing squad. we would have more test and ODI caps than all the other states combined.

NSW line up:
S Waugh
S Katich
M Waugh
M Bevan
M Slater
B Lee
G McGrath
B Haddin
M Clarke
M Nicholson
S Macgill
N Bracken
S Clark

thats probably the top 13 players, pretty solid, ll with minimum Austraia A experience, auctually Stuart Clark is the only one without a test or ODI cap :o thats backed up with players like Bollinger, Cameron, O Brien, thornley, lambert, jaques and bradstreet

now QLD:
J Maher
LCarseldine
M Love
C Perren
A Symonds
S Law
M Kasprowicz
M Hayden
J Dawes
W Seccombe
A Bichel
A Noffke
J Cassell
J Hopes
B Nash
N Hauritz
D Mackenzie
S Brant
A Dale

thats basically the full squad, very good ofcourse, but when you take out Hayden and Bichel and now sometimes love it does put a big dent in the side, placing extra pressure on Noffke,, Symonds and Nash, Scott Brant looks quite good and will hopefully come through for them this season but will need to become more consistant. Hauritz lacks any penetration at all in the 4 dayers which is unfortunate.

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
k guys i have not seen any betting yet to win the comps but i am looking at the squads and am seeing really one sided games here?
i see NSW and i am thinking what chance do Tas etc have against them? looks lobsided and mismatches
NSW have basically Aussie XI and Tas have Diva,Cox and Ponting.

how many games will the Aussie players miss during a season for playing international cricket

out of interest what would your top 6 sides be. Is there is really weak side out of the 6 ,which is the poorest?
1..........surely NSW?
??
out of the 6, which would you say are the whipping boys?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Welcome to the forums, Cant help you much on the Aus front, but i go up to the county ground at Derby a bit with a mate from up north...Guess you are glad that Corkys gone eh? Im a Somerset fan myself, and the lone SA fanatic round 'ere...

Di Venuto Fan

Cricket Spectator
i used to love Cork but he showed his true colours.He was a control freak and after 16 years he couldnt even stay for the final NCL game before he went. ypu would have thought that he would have wanted to say goodbye but he went the day before which was pathetic and spoke volumes for the man.
he couldnt have the captaincy and he couldnt command every1 and have total control so he left like a spoilt child
he says he wants to play in Div1 and has 5 years left., dont think so
cant knock his loyalty but they way he left and the way he was ,i am glad he is gone
who is gonna pay his 100k a week?

anyways we have Diva as captain now so the future is bright
i see we have you in the C&G 2nd round. you coming to Derby?
long way home to drive when you lost though matey:P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Di Venuto Fan said:
i see we have you in the C&G 2nd round. you coming to Derby?
long way home to drive when you lost though matey:P
Ive no idea, but ill tell you if I am up there...

Im used to long drives home after losing...I usually have to do it with a bunch of Yorkshire "fans" which makes it even worse when the "soft southern flowers" get a beating... (a'la C+G Final 2002)

Anyway, with just DiVenuto left, who is going to play your decent cricket???

Mr. P

Di Venuto Fan said:
k guys i have not seen any betting yet to win the comps but i am looking at the squads and am seeing really one sided games here?
i see NSW and i am thinking what chance do Tas etc have against them? looks lobsided and mismatches
NSW have basically Aussie XI and Tas have Diva,Cox and Ponting.

how many games will the Aussie players miss during a season for playing international cricket

out of interest what would your top 6 sides be. Is there is really weak side out of the 6 ,which is the poorest?
1..........surely NSW?
??
out of the 6, which would you say are the whipping boys?
Looking at the Aussi schedule, the internationals will play near to nothing of domestic cricket. NSW will miss many players throughout the year, particularly is Michael Clarke gets a few call ups.