• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC suspends usa project

cricket player

International Debutant
ICC suspends Project USA

Cricinfo staff

February 17, 2005

Malcolm Speed: unhappy with the 'unsatisfactory state of governance in the USA' © Getty Images

The ICC has announced the suspension of the Project USA initiative due to concerns over the governance of the United States of America Cricket Association (USACA). Malcolm Speed, the ICC's chief executive, said that outstanding issues had not been dealt with in a satisfactory manner by the association.

"The ICC is not satisfied that the USACA is meeting its obligations to review and restructure its governance to meet the needs of Project USA, and as a consequence Project USA is now suspended," Speed said in a press release, adding that the future of the tripartite initiative between the ICC, the West Indies Cricket Board and the USACA would now be discussed by the ICC board.

"We have witnessed the unseemly and public debate surrounding the USACA elections. At this stage we are not able to recommend to the ICC Full Members that they participate in Project USA given the unsatisfactory state of governance in the USA. I will now be preparing a report on the status of this project for consideration by the ICC board at its next meeting." The ICC board is due to meet in New Delhi on March 17-18.

The news comes less than a month after a leaked letter from Ehsan Mani, the ICC's president, and Speed slated the way the USACA was being run. "We have seen numerous sporting organisations in various states of disarray throughout our period of involvement as sports administrators," they wrote. "We have never seen a sporting organisation that combines such great potential and such poor administration as USACA. From our observations, much of the blame for this lies with the current office bearers of USACA including yourself. We question whether the current administration of USACA can play any constructive role in taking the game forward in the United States."

They also warned that they would not shy from suspending Project USA if certain issues were not resolved, adding: "We have now been approached by other countries that would like to replace USA as the preferred partner of ICC to deliver international cricket matches."

But instead of getting better, matters grew worse, culminating in the suspension of the USACA's elections and growing in-fighting among officials. Negative comments attributed to Gladstone Dainty, the USACA president, criticising the ICC would hardly have helped, even though Dainty subsequently denied them.

© Cricinfo

My dream to be in the usa team is gone,probably if my country or maybe i would move to canada to be in the canadain team or any hopes me getting involved into afghanistan team,so i am really disappointed sucha huge potential this country has and they dont have good administration at all :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yep.. And the ICC are damn right in doing so as well.. Time to invest some resources on places where it is more likely to get returns.. Namibia and Holland spring to mind, as do Ireland and the UAE

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
My dream to be in the usa team is gone,probably if my country or maybe i would move to canada to be in the canadain team or any hopes me getting involved into afghanistan team,so i am really disappointed sucha huge potential this country has and they dont have good administration at all :)
I thought you had already been the star allrounder, captain, manager, physio and more recently life member of USA Cricket?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Yep.. And the ICC are damn right in doing so as well.. Time to invest some resources on places where it is more likely to get returns.. Namibia and Holland spring to mind, as do Ireland and the UAE
yup totally agree, i dont see why they went to USA anyway

cricket player

International Debutant
They have alot of marketing in united states,Plus united states has alot of cricketing players around probably 16000 around the united states.

good marketing
16000 cricketing members more then zimbabwe bangladesh
cricket sells more in here then any other nation exept england,australia,india,new zealand,south africa,
alot of money and alot of money will be handed to ICC.

Langeveldt

Soutie
cricket player said:
They have alot of marketing in united states,Plus united states has alot of cricketing players around probably 16000 around the united states.

good marketing
cricket sells more in here then any other nation exept england,australia,india,new zealand,south africa,
Fat lot of good money does in the end though!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator

good marketing
have they made even 1 world cup yet?

cricket player

International Debutant
lord_of_darkness said:
have they made even 1 world cup yet?
Nah they havent but they have an oppourtunity to do it so this coming tournament which 8 nations will take part,who ever wins will go to world cup 2007, :)