• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI Innings of All time

Deja moo

International Captain
Inspired by the discussion re: Anwar 194.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order for now :

Viv Richards 189 in the WC
Pontings 141 in the WC
Sachins 143 and 134 vs Autralia in Sharjah (the twin desert innings's)
Jayasuriyas 189 vs India in Sharjah
Anwars 194
Symonds' 143(?) vs Pakistan in the WC

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Kapils Classic 175* against Zimbabwe in 1983 world cup bringing India back from unimaginable disaster. Easily the greatest recovery in the history of one day cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, cannot believe I missed that. And for emotional reasons, the 100 by Sachin against Kenya in the 99 world cup. To come back one day after his dad died and score a hundred showed his mental strength, IMHO.

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
Kapils Classic 175* against Zimbabwe in 1983 world cup bringing India back from unimaginable disaster. Easily the greatest recovery in the history of one day cricket.
I've obviously never watched it ( who has? Damn you BBC !!)...but would you please compare the Zimbabwean bowling attack of that innings with the one in the 2002 Champions Trophy where Kaif scored his century coming in at number 7 ? Where does that innings stand ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You must remember that the same Zimbabwe attack had beaten the Australian side in the same world cup.

Kumar_42

Cricket Spectator
Aravinda de Silva's 107* in the 1996 world cup final,
Steve Waughs innings (100+ ) in the 1999 wc semi-final against SAfr

immediately come to mind (in addition to the others already mentioned)
both were sublime under-pressure innings IMHO

there's so many others...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Michael Bevan has played a few innings worth consideration.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
Tendulkar's 90 odd in the World Cup 2003 against Pakistan was simply superb.
I think it was the most masterly aggressive innings I have ever seen. He was terrorising the bowlers

Chubb

International Regular
Looking at that Zimbok bowling attack in 1983 Kapil Dev was facing;

Peter Rawson ODI avg. 35 1st Class 23

John Traicos ODI avg. 51 (econ. 3.88) 1st Class 34

Ian Butchart ODI avg. 53 (econ. 5.47) 1st Class 34

Kevin Curran ODI avg. 44 (econ 4.71) 1st Class 27

Duncan Fletcher ODI avg. 31 (econ. 4.40) 1st Class 28

Which was probabl;y the best attack Zim could put out at the time and, with the exception of Butchart all would make the current side by a country mile. Fletcher and Rawsoin would make the all-time Zimbok side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Clive Lloyd's 100 in the first WC final - scored at a decent lick against Lillee, Thomson, Gilmour & Walker after WI had lost 3 early wickets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isnt there a Wisden list of the greatest ODI innings also like they have for test innings. I distinctly recall having seen one. It had Richards 189 at the top if I remember right.

deeps

International 12th Man
steve waugh's 120* in the wc game against South africa should be right up there at the top. single handedly won the game for aus in such a pressure situation. There is no bigger pressure situation, where your team HAS to win to remain in the competition, whilst you are the captain of the side, and have to bat your team to victory...and bat he did!

howardj

International Coach
Chris Cairns v South Africa 102* at the Gabba in January 2002 - was a corker!

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Stephen Flemings 134* against Sth Africa in the 2002 WC is got be up there with DL system applied, and his innings interrupted a number of times + a do or die match for NZ to advance further in the comp.

1st delay 15 mins lost, New Zealand score on 76/0 after 12 overs
2nd delay 11 mins lost, New Zealand score 97/1 after 15 overs
3rd delay 52 mins lost, New Zealand score 182/1 after 30.2 overs

Marius

International Debutant
Dave Callaghan's 169* against NZ at Centurion in 1994/95 was also pretty good. It was also the only time he scored more than fifty in a ODI.

deeps

International 12th Man
slugger said:
Stephen Flemings 134* against Sth Africa in the 2002 WC is got be up there with DL system applied, and his innings interrupted a number of times + a do or die match for NZ to advance further in the comp.

1st delay 15 mins lost, New Zealand score on 76/0 after 12 overs
2nd delay 11 mins lost, New Zealand score 97/1 after 15 overs
3rd delay 52 mins lost, New Zealand score 182/1 after 30.2 overs

did he actually win the match for them? (i'm not asking in a mocking way, i have no idea and im curious)