• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should NZ tour ZIM

should nz tour zim

• Total voters

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Idealistically, no.

Realistically, a boycott by a New Zealand cricket team is going to have absolutely no impact on Zimbabwean politics. It will not change a thing. So having said that maybe we should go, as nothing will be gained by boycotting.

I'm trying to make my own mind up here...deciding between the lesser of the two evils if you like

Ming

State 12th Man
Ideal situation would be for the ZIM tour to get transfered to NZ, so there would be no worrying about security, politics etc....

ZIM are still coming to NZ later in the year for a 2 Test tour I think....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
I think they should.

Politics and sports should be kept seperate
Don't you think this is a) impossible, and b) somewhat hyprocritical coming from you, given your regular diatribes against the apparent racism of various members of this forum from particular countries?

Politics and sport are inseperate, and sport is an extremely effective method of displaying political opinions. There is absolutely no question whatsoever from those who study South African apartheid that the boycott of sporting events with South Africa helped eventually to dissolve public support for the apartheid system. The knowledge that the rest of the world is so disgusted with you that they will refuse to even play sport with you is quite effective in influencing public opinion. Admittedly the situation is different in Zimbabwe, but that doesn't mean that one has to show support for Mugabe and his government by consenting to play his team in sporting events. And frankly, if you think politics and sport should be kept seperate, tell it to Andy Flower and Henry Olonga, because they don't think so.

C_C

International Captain
And frankly, if you think politics and sport should be kept seperate, tell it to Andy Flower and Henry Olonga, because they don't think so.
actually they do think so and have said so numerous times and have pointed out the irony that they ARE victims of politics influencing sports.

There is nothing hypocritical about going to zimbabwe. Zimbabwe situation has been going on for several years now. And zimbabwe has been touring and hosting all the while in this.
It would be hypocritical NOT to go to zimbabwe because zimbabwe has been hosted by other nations in the past and if you are willing to profit from hosting a particular nation(each time a tour happens, the home team profits) then you have no basis for not going there while the situation is the same....New Zealand hosted zimbabwe in 2000 when the same shyte was going on in Zimbabwe.... they profited from it....
It is different from RSA situation because RSA was comprehensively banned(which albeit was violated by rebel tours- where several members of those rebel tours bore little or no penalty).
Here zimbabwe is getting invited all round and sundry....but big hoodoo about visiting them.
Its like saying 'ooh you are bad.while you bring me some bling bling, i wont fuss too much.Its okay for me to profit from you despite you being a party to unethical behaviour. But i wont let you profit in this whole deal'.
THAT my friend, is hypocritical. By hosting zimbabwe, you already ARE a party to their philosophy.
Zimbabwe should either be banned or no one should raise a whimper about visitng zimbabwe once you've hosted them.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That's really not the point at all. I agree that Zimbabwe should be excluded from cricket outright while Mugabe remains in power, but failing that allowing a team of Zimbabwean cricketers to come somewhere else to play cricket is by far more acceptable than going there and offering support to Mugabe's government by giving them money and appearing in their country as part of a sporting event. There is nothing hypocritical about refusing to tour Zimbabwe yet being happy to play Zimbabwe in a different location under different circumstances, because they are different acts with different consequences.

That's like saying that Johan Cruyff boycotting the 1978 world cup means that he should also have refused to play Argentina elsewhere. He did not wish to play in the '78 WC because attending such an event gave implicit support to Vileda's regime. Playing Argentina in sport alone did not.

C_C

International Captain
but failing that allowing a team of Zimbabwean cricketers to come somewhere else to play cricket is by far more acceptable than going there and offering support to Mugabe's government by giving them money and appearing in their country as part of a sporting event. There is nothing hypocritical about refusing to tour Zimbabwe yet being happy to play Zimbabwe in a different location under different circumstances, because they are different acts with different consequences.
Disagree utterly.
Zimbabwe is a national team. Not a club team ala manchester united.
By hosting the national team of zimbabwe you are automatically giving credibility to the mugabe regime. And you are profiting from it.
Thereby, it is inconsistent and hypocritical for one to profit from the deal with the devil but not hold up your end of the bargain - the bargain being 'we tour you, you tour us'- the fundamental basis of ICC 4 year plan.

If Johan Cruyff decieded not to play in Argentina but play argentina elsewhere, he was being a hypocrite as well.

This is an all or nothing situation. Anything in between is hypocracy.
Not touring zimbabwe but hosting them elsewhere implies that you are willing to profit from that venture but not hold up your end of the bargain. Plain and simple.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be honest I'm not in favour of Zimbabwe touring here either...I wonder if there might be similar disapproval to the tour when Zimbabwe come here (although of course on a much lesser scale) to the 1981 Springbok rugby tour. The Green Party have already written to NZ players asking them to boycott the tour, I expect they will organise some protests when Zimbabwe come here.