• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns to Retire

Natman20

International Debutant
It is expected that later today Chris Cairns will make the anouncement that he will retire completely from International cricket. This is a suprise being so close to the world cup. Thanks for the good times chris! Im sure everyone remembers his six hitting ability!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A wasted talent - due to injuries, motivation and attitude. Not sure where I place him in the scheme of New Zealand cricketers, really.

Interesting to see if he does give it away so soon after fighting to get his spot back.

Natman20

International Debutant
It said on the radio that he has already said it to NZ cricket. It most probably will be confirmed this afternoon. He hasn't really finished his career on a high note and that sort of sums up his career up and down with injuries. He brang some games back New Zealands way by taking wickets at regular intervals and hitting sixes. He makes some damn good fudge to! :)

Blaze

Banned
Good decision. He hardly justifies a spot at the moment anyway.

Superb talent in his day though, my favourite ever since Crowe retired.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Even in his last couple of domestic games he has looked pretty ordinary. He just doesn't appear to have it in him anymore..he's doing the right thing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sad to see his career end like this so abruptly with no proper send-off, but he was one of my favourite players to watch. I still remember him leading NZ to victory against India in the 2000 ICC Champions Trophy Final (or whatever they called it that year).

I always found it odd that he was one of the rare players to actually choose to retire from tests and continue playing ODI cricket (Gough is also another one). I guess it shows how successful each of them was at the shortened form of the game.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Voltman said:
. Not sure where I place him in the scheme of New Zealand cricketers, really.

A wasted talent - due to injuries, motivation and attitude.

Think you answered yourself there........... and I agree with you, reasonable record which should have been world class if only he had half the application and humility of someone like Sir Richard

Ive never been a huge fan and have always hated watching him bowl.

Oh look short outside the off stump again

/puts Chris in same basket as Parore

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He was the reason I started liking cricket in the first place. One of the most exciting players I've ever seen. Just a shame he's not ending on a high note.

His stats may not look spectacular but he is (or rather was I guess) one of the greatest all rounders of the game because he was feared, targeted and respected by the opposition (often when no other Kiwi's were) and often turned matches on it's head.

Thanks for the memories, Chris.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
It's a sad day for New Zealand cricket. I think Cairns should've played a couple more games to get the double of 5000/200 - he's 50 runs away.

Last edited:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
As a single-minded Aussie dullard, I am greatly upset. Chris and his father Lance are two of my all-time favorite cricketers, and I'm sad to see him go.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A shame to see him go, but rather that than see him drag out his career when in all honesty, he's not really up to the job asked of him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Without a doubt, had the potential to be one of the great all-rounders but as has been said, injuries & a slack attitude cost him.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Tim said:
Without a doubt, had the potential to be one of the great all-rounders but as has been said, injuries & a slack attitude cost him.
His Test stats still put him as one of the greatest allrounders

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
cric_manic said:
His Test stats still put him as one of the greatest allrounders
Imagine how good those stats could have been if he had played some of the 59 tests he missed during his career.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
More runs and wickets..... but I dont see how his averages would have improved much

Agree that his carreer record looks good regardless, theres just no doubt in my mind it could and should have been a lot better