• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fleming Rips into Richardson

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's quite hilarious - shades of "Can't bowl, can't throw".

Can't they blame it on an out-of-shot cameraman?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, thats either sad, fuuny or true (maybe all 3).

Sounds a little harsh though given that the guy is now paid to give opinions not play cricket.

Loony BoB

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Course he's not a really nice guy Tim !! Thats what makes him a good captain - he is hardnosed, and always has been, and I wouldn't want it any other way for NZ's captain.
Yeah... Notable that Sean Fitzpatrick and his All Blacks side were considered to be the biggest sledgers in the history of rugby football. Just because you can say a scathing comment doesn't mean you're not an overall nice guy. And I stand by the fact that just because you tell someone they're an idiot doesn't mean you're not nice, it just means you're honest with your feelings and, given that he had no idea it was on live feed, there was in my opinion no reason for Fleming to not let him know how he felt if he did indeed feel that way - better to say it rather than to hold a grudge. If a close friend of mine was to basically accuse me of things and put me in a really bad light with the entire world during an interview, then yeah, once the cameras were off I'd be similar. Hell, in some friendships there would be a push'n'shove going on and the next hour they wouldn't think anything of it. That's friendships - you argue.

People are making a massive deal over something which really is a private issue between the two of them, and I personally hope the broadsheets and sports channels don't turn it into a public news event. Tabloids I couldn't care less about.

I've called my very close friends things a hell of a lot worse than what Fleming has said, I assure you. But hey, we're guys. It happens. As a member of the male gender, I'm pretty sure Fleming and Richardson can get over it within the next few hours. The media, if they turn it into a spectacle, though... they could go on for a week or so with that, I suppose.

I also doubt Fleming will even get close to being sacked as Richardson himself probably wouldn't want that, and would be happy to blow the whole thing off as media overblow before such a thing happens.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loony BoB said:
Yeah... Notable that Sean Fitzpatrick and his All Blacks side were considered to be the biggest sledgers in the history of rugby football. Just because you can say a scathing comment doesn't mean you're not an overall nice guy. And I stand by the fact that just because you tell someone they're an idiot doesn't mean you're not nice, it just means you're honest with your feelings and, given that he had no idea it was on live feed, there was in my opinion no reason for Fleming to not let him know how he felt if he did indeed feel that way - better to say it rather than to hold a grudge. If a close friend of mine was to basically accuse me of things and put me in a really bad light with the entire world during an interview, then yeah, once the cameras were off I'd be similar. Hell, in some friendships there would be a push'n'shove going on and the next hour they wouldn't think anything of it. That's friendships - you argue.

People are making a massive deal over something which really is a private issue between the two of them, and I personally hope the broadsheets and sports channels don't turn it into a public news event. Tabloids I couldn't care less about.

I've called my very close friends things a hell of a lot worse than what Fleming has said, I assure you. But hey, we're guys. It happens. As a member of the male gender, I'm pretty sure Fleming and Richardson can get over it within the next few hours. The media, if they turn it into a spectacle, though... they could go on for a week or so with that, I suppose.

I also doubt Fleming will even get close to being sacked as Richardson himself probably wouldn't want that, and would be happy to blow the whole thing off as media overblow before such a thing happens.
Totally agree

PY

International Coach
I'm not so sure, Richardson looked pretty peeved. And the fact it's now out in the big wide world won't help matters either.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'd say Fleming looked angrier than Richardson did. Richardson just looked surprised. I don't think he's going to go home and cry about it.

Zinzan

Loony BoB said:
It's not lame. I ask again - have you ever got angry at a friend or called them an idiot?
I agree Bob, the whole thing is not really a big deal, Flem wasn't to know they were still recording for the media. It is amusing though :happy:

PY

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
I'd say Fleming looked angrier than Richardson did. Richardson just looked surprised. I don't think he's going to go home and cry about it.
You watched the video? He's almost blubbering like an idiot by the end of it.

It isn't a biggie IMO but Fleming should know better and it's hilarious and shows the media face and then the real face in pretty good light. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Loony BoB said:
It's not lame. I ask again - have you ever got angry at a friend or called them an idiot?
I explained earlier in the tour thread.

It wasn't looking like two mates from the reaction of Richardson!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
:laugh:

That's hilarious! The look on Richardson's face is priceless! I guess it boils down to "if you dish it out, you've gotta be man enough to cop it".

Eddie Butler/Gareth Thomas was funnier tho & that was broadcast live!

Zinzan

Wonder if Richardson will be interviewing the NZ Captain again tomorrow morning

Loony BoB

International Captain
On a tangent, I think Bob Willis' comments found in Cricinfo's quotes page equally amusing. :p

Something tells me that a lot of this might have to do with whatever was (apparently) said in the changing room, and Mark's negative viewpoint / questions along with the fact that he was laughing at Fleming's answers pushed Fleming over the edge. I don't think that - unless we find out what the changing room comments were - we'll ever find out what really brought this on.

Also... is it just me, or would being stuck between 50 over mode and test mode mean that you would have a faster tempo to the test game? :blink:

Last edited:

Retox

State Vice-Captain
From the interview before the "spat' it looks like Rigo was just searching for a fight.

People just need to move on from this. Flem got angry ( I don't blame him) But I am sure they will kiss and make up, Flem is probally just annoyed that NZ should have been way infront but they have blown it as such (Thank god for Bondy)

How do you think Smith or Pointing would have handled it?