• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Casson trades in Perth for Sydney

Haddin

U19 Debutant
From Cricinfo:
New South Wales' slow bowling stocks have received another boost with Beau Casson, the left-arm wrist spinner, announcing today he will leave Western Australia. Casson was the Warriors' first-choice ahead of the one-day international Brad Hogg in the Pura Cup last summer, but he has decided to fight for a spot in Sydney alongside Stuart MacGill, Jason Krejza and Nathan Hauritz, who is also chasing greater opportunities.

Tony Dodemaide, the Western Australia chief executive, was disappointed to lose Casson, who took 17 wickets at 54.23 in the Pura Cup in 2005-06. "If Beau wants to go to the next level, he won't do that by bowling in the nets in Sydney," Dodemaide said. "We pulled out all stops to try to convince him to stay. I think he will struggle to get more opportunities ahead of MacGill and Hauritz than he would for WA where he is the No. 1 choice in first-class cricket."

MacGill is the Blues' main spinning weapon while Steve O'Keefe and Krejza filled the support roles last summer. Last week Hauritz opted to move south after being attracted by the state's "spin bowling culture".

© Cricinfo

Cool. First Hauritz, and now Casson, this is great.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It'll be interesting to see whether either of them are offered a contract. I'd expect Casson to, as it seems as though he's been courted, but by the sounds of things Hauritz is packing up shop and hoping for the best down south.

I'd expect to see Graeme Rummans head home to NSW, and maybe Pilon as well.

Craig

World Traveller
NSW would be a bit desperate if they choose to go for Hauritz. It wouldn't surprise me if Hauritz got a contract given that he has played Test and ODI cricket.

That said there is less competition for Daniel Doran, who if he continues like he did last season then Hauritz would never get a game for Queensland, unless playing on a spinning wicket.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Hauritz may get a contract and play in some ING games, his chances of playing FC cricket are pretty low. Though i would say Krezja and OBrien would probably get picked ahead of him for OD games as they are both capable with the bat.

Casson may well get a go in FC cricket, particularly as i thini Macgill is a reasonable chance of playing a couple of tests this summer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Doran was good in the second half of last year, was playing sub-district cricket in Victoria a few years ago, supposedly.

Interesting to see what Le Loux does.

Haddin

U19 Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
It'll be interesting to see whether either of them are offered a contract. I'd expect Casson to, as it seems as though he's been courted, but by the sounds of things Hauritz is packing up shop and hoping for the best down south.

I'd expect to see Graeme Rummans head home to NSW, and maybe Pilon as well.
Pilon? I doubt it. He just broke into the Victorian side and did well. So that would be step back.

brockley

International Captain
Reason pilon is thinking of going back to NSW is the vics have not offered him a contract and neither they offered klinger or rummans a contract they are free to go.
With casson gather NSW will play 2 spinners they did in their last few games,dunno where this will leave kregja especially with haurie coming too.
Honestly haurie should have gone to tassie doherty and tubb both average mid 50's for their wickets in pura cricket,and for WA hoggy will only play LTD games for WA.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
When i first heard that Hauritz was coming to NSW, i thought it was a good move, as we were likely to play two spinners, especially if Clark, Bracken, McGarth and Lee are out for majority of the season with internationals, like last season. Our pace attack was pretty poor and thats being nice. But now with Casson also coming over i can't see him getting a game, even if MacGill is out for most of the Ashes.

What does this mean for Krezja and O'Keefe, well its time to work and your batting and push for a spot as a batting all rounder in ODs. I think O'Keefe would have ended up being a batting all rounder anyway, but Krezja never seemed to be able to get his batting up to FC/List A standard, even though he had been given a decent chance.

Also it should be mentioned that Matt Phelps has retired which opens up a spot for Rummans if he wants to come back. But it could also open up a spot for an all rounder in ODs maybe.

brockley

International Captain
Chaminda we already have allrounders in thornley,o'brien left arm spin and greg mail can bowl medium pace.I agree pick an allrounder at 7 either henriques or lambert,but we lack is batsmen,be interested if murray creed gets a go he deserves a chance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
brockley said:
Chaminda we already have allrounders in thornley,o'brien left arm spin and greg mail can bowl medium pace.I agree pick an allrounder at 7 either henriques or lambert,but we lack is batsmen,be interested if murray creed gets a go he deserves a chance.
I meant an out and out all rounder, not a batting all rounder if that. Clarke is a better bowler then the first three mentioned, which says something.

When it comes to batsmen hoopefully Ed Cowan can go injury free, Tom Cooper gets a run and Chris Simmons can find his feet.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
brockley said:
Honestly haurie should have gone to tassie doherty and tubb both average mid 50's for their wickets in pura cricket,and for WA hoggy will only play LTD games for WA.
So does Hauritz in recent years. Tubb only played because half the team was out injured all season. I'd prefer the local boys getting a shot to a queensland hack. Anyway with Wright back from injury next year we will play 4 quicks. Griffith, Wright, Hilfenhaus and either Geeves or Drew.

Di Venuto
Paine
Bevan
Birt
Bailey
Marsh
Clingeleffer
Wright
Geeves
Griffith
Hilfenhaus

Great mix of talented youth and experience and Ponting aside, who never plays for the state anyway, we are unlikely to lose anyone to international duty and will be right up there next season.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
brockley said:
That's a bit rough on allrounders to have Thornley named in their company. I think most batsman would be insulted having Thornley named as a batsman.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
That's a bit rough on allrounders to have Thornley named in their company. I think most batsman would be insulted having Thornley named as a batsman.
Well if Hopes is a an all rounder, anyone has a chance. :p