• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does the County Championship need to be altered?

In my Opinion the County Championship needs to be altered to make it a much stronger comp I am not suggesting which teams will be cut out but I think it should be a 10 team comp so it can produce the quality of cricket that is essential for England to have a smooth transition for a player coming on to the International Scene. I think the current number of 16 is too many.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
AussieDominance said:
you either merge or obviously derbyshire are the first to go you tell me the other possibilities you reckon
Well wouldn't Derby argue they are going through a rough patch at the moment, and that they have provided good england players in the past?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
Well wouldn't Derby argue they are going through a rough patch at the moment, and that they have provided good england players in the past?
Its a long rough patch. They have not won the CC since 1936.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nowt wrong with it at the moment I don't think - just look at the impact the latest England debutants have had.

Only thing that's wrong in England is the Limited Overs setup. Knockout C&G Trophy and fifty-over National League. It's not complicated!

yeh i think the problem with them is that they need to be 50 overs whats the point in playing 45 if your playing 50 on the international stage?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Goughy said:
Its a long rough patch. They have not won the CC since 1936.
Well actually their win percentage in their history is 24.71 which beats Leicestershire(22.81), Somerset (23.69), Glamorgan (22.42) and is snapping at the heels of Northamptonshire (24.80) and Worcestershire (25.45)*

*All results are FC upto 2004

Now i can see people wanting to sweep Derby and Leics out, but would the same go for the cidermen and Worcs?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
Nowt wrong with it at the moment I don't think - just look at the impact the latest England debutants have had.

Only thing that's wrong in England is the Limited Overs setup. Knockout C&G Trophy and fifty-over National League. It's not complicated!
Well it might be a bit old but i did find an excuse that was used for it not being 50 overs

From Cricinfo:

"AXA Equity & Law came to the ECB's rescue in 1993 and the competition was extended to 50-overs-a-side, which was a far from popular move. While families were prepared to spend the afternoon at a game, the longer duration made it almost as lengthy a day out at a Championship match. The experiment was quickly shelved after one season. "

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I never said I wanted Derbyshire to merge or disband.

I like the CC as it is. In fact if anything I would prefer expansion with European and other British teams included and more overseas players to strenghten their squads.

With a bit of work the CC and its OD tournaments could become like a poor mans version of the NBA or Premier League with an international following. Need the best players playing on long term contracts to forge a stronger team identitiy. A pipe dream I know but it is remotely possible.

Last edited:

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Goughy said:
I never said I wanted Derbyshire to merge or disband.

I like the CC as it is. In fact if anything I would prefer expantion with European and other British teams included and more overseas players to strenghten their squads.

With a bit of work the CC and its OD tournaments could become like a poor mans version of the NBA or Premier League with an international following. Need the best players playing on long term contracts to forge a stronger team identitiy. A pipe dream I know but it is remotely possible.
Sorry it wasn't the intention to suggest you wanted derby out, my post was aimed more at AussieDominance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Autobahn said:
Now i can see people wanting to sweep Derby and Leics out, but would the same go for the cidermen and Worcs?
If it means Ian Blackwell and Kadir Ali go, then yes.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
If it means Ian Blackwell and Kadir Ali go, then yes.
So what happens to Trescothick, James Hildreth and some of the promising youngsters that are playing in ciderville?