• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joey Johns: cricketer

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have no problem with it. That's what the format is all about, whether or not you're a fan of it is another thread.

I know heaps of AFL players were gun junior cricketers and i imagine that would be the same with NRL, so it's not like he'll be completely hopeless.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this came up in the Australian Off-Season thread. It's obviously a farce in terms of the quality of the cricket, but it's only 20/20, so it's hard to care much. I don't know how much interest there will be really, I'd expect it'd get the "how strange, I'll see how he goes in the paper" reaction more than the "I must go out and see it!" one.

My father is almost unquestionably the single biggest Andrew Johns fanatic on earth, and does creepy stalker stuff like send him "get well soon" cards when he has an injury, so I'll have to see if he's interested or not.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
My father is almost unquestionably the single biggest Andrew Johns fanatic on earth, and does creepy stalker stuff like send him "get well soon" cards when he has an injury

That must cost him a fortune.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats, not happy. Probably because he's not getting a run himself more than anything.

Craig

World Traveller
More so then he is correct, it is a publicity stunt more then anything else with dollar signs in their eyes (not that I would find anything wrong with that), but it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Although they said Johns used to play a fair bit of grade cricket before cricket took over, so who knows. Would he count as a daul international if he somehow made an Australian Twent20 side? That would be funny.

That said, good luck to him.

Craig

World Traveller
benchmark00 said:
I have no problem with it. That's what the format is all about, whether or not you're a fan of it is another thread.

I know heaps of AFL players were gun junior cricketers and i imagine that would be the same with NRL, so it's not like he'll be completely hopeless.
Or Shane Warne who was apparently VFL standard when he was younger.

I would imagine that would have him more then a decent AFL/VFL player?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Or Shane Warne who was apparently VFL standard when he was younger.

I would imagine that would have him more then a decent AFL/VFL player?
Nah, Warney played U/19s for St. Kilda, but wasn't picked picked up by them. Just wasn't good enough in the end, unfortunately. So he decided he might play a bit of cricket...

Dead set, he seems like the sort of guy who would still trade in all he's done in cricket for a premiership with the Saints.

Craig

World Traveller
vic_orthdox said:
Nah, Warney played U/19s for St. Kilda, but wasn't picked picked up by them. Just wasn't good enough in the end, unfortunately. So he decided he might play a bit of cricket...

Dead set, he seems like the sort of guy who would still trade in all he's done in cricket for a premiership with the Saints.
I bet Mike Gatting and Daryl Cullianan and quite a few others wished he had stuck with AFL.

howardj

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
Slats, not happy. Probably because he's not getting a run himself more than anything.
Yeah Slats lashed out on the news tonight, claiming that it's damaging to the game.

Couldn't agree more. There is the "oh it's only Twenty20 argument".

Fact remains though, this is a Cricket Australia sanctioned match.

It's high farce!

Like Slats, I'm :censored:

howardj

International Coach
In late breaking news, rescued Beaconsfield miners Todd Russell and Brant Webb have been approached to open the bowling for Tasmania.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Didn't he get out and Mark Waugh went out instead? In any case, he hit them pretty far. I guess he'd have a good eye from Tennis and all, especially the serve-volley style he played.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:

I think I recall DKL saying that if he'd been better at Aussie Rules he'd never have been a cricketer either.

You whacky Victorians, eh? ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I think I recall DKL saying that if he'd been better at Aussie Rules he'd never have been a cricketer either.

You whacky Victorians, eh? ;)
Yeah, he goes on about it a bit in his book. How it was his dream, and cricket was a second choice and so on. He actually got picked up by St. Kilda for one season and played a few games for the reserve side, but they didn't keep him on board for a second season due to fitness problems and a general lack of talent and gametime, so he turned to cricket.

howardj

International Coach
Hate how people exaggerate and say that so-and-so could have been a champion at several sports. In most cases, I bet they showed a glimpse of talent at another sport when they were young (like so, so, many people do) and people just exaggerate that out and say 'oh he could've been a champion at anything'.