• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For Australian And English Fans...

What would you rather win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasag

RTDAS
Fairly easily Ashes when you look at it from the angle of which would you hate to lose more. If we don't win the world cup - meh.

If we don't win the Ashes I'll dead set hang myself.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashes.
easly, much more a fan of test cricket anyway.
and the ashes capture the immagination test cricket-wise for me.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ashes, but only just. The World Cup involves every cricket nation in the world and is probably the most difficult trophy to win. The Ashes is important, and I prefer test cricket by a distance, but if we'd won it again last year I think I'd be more concerned about the World Cup in terms of Australia's goals heading into this summer.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting results these, especially as some have accused English fans of not rating ODIs, because we're crap at it. Nice to see its not just the English that hold it in such regard. It is the seminal influence in cricket after all.

Oh, Ashes, by so far.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
29-1 so far! I'm surprised..I thought some Aussies would vote for WC as they are going for an unprecedented hat-trick of WCs.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
grecian said:
Interesting results these, especially as some have accused English fans of not rating ODIs, because we're crap at it. Nice to see its not just the English that hold it in such regard. It is the seminal influence in cricket after all.
The poll doesn't reflect that. It is perfectly understandable for Aussies to give retaining the ashes more importance than winning the World Cup.

My question is, how would the aussies on here would have voted in this poll 10 years ago when they had lost two world cups, but the ashes were safe with them.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
nightprowler10 said:
The poll doesn't reflect that. It is perfectly understandable for Aussies to give retaining the ashes more importance than winning the World Cup.

My question is, how would the aussies on here would have voted in this poll 10 years ago when they had lost two world cups, but the ashes were safe with them.
Yeah, it's definitely about the fact that we've won the WC twice recently. In fact, 4 years ago when we were heading into another Ashes/WC summer, I would have voted for the WC I think. Losing the Ashes makes you look forward to the next one a great deal, but winning the World Cup is certainly greater achievement than a single test series.

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, it's definitely about the fact that we've won the WC twice recently. In fact, 4 years ago when we were heading into another Ashes/WC summer, I would have voted for the WC I think. Losing the Ashes makes you look forward to the next one a great deal, but winning the World Cup is certainly greater achievement than a single test series.
I don't know, as Haigh said: if Aust played the Bangas in a 100 Test matches with the present two teams they would win 100 (except weather) but they would lose the odd ODI match.

To win a five Test series there is no rarely any doubt who is the best team, but luck often decides ODI matches.

I will be cheering the Aussies on in the next WC, but I won't lose any sleep about losing a contrived game where bowling tight is more important then taking wickets.