• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What was he thinking?

Craig

World Traveller
For all those moments on and off the field, from selections to non selections, to commentating calls, or statements in the media before a series that left you wondering 'What was he thinking?'

For me:

Sultan Zarawini facing up to Allan Donald at his fastest without a helmet. Yep bright choice mate thinking you were clearly Sir Viv Richards - which you weren't and never will be - that would makes as much sense as me walking down the main street of Gaza with an Israeli flag.

Dean Jones telling Curtly Ambrose to remove his wristband because it was distracting him. All it did was annoy him to enough to bowl his team to win the game. Onya Deano!

Jones again with his terrorist comment about Amla. Seriously like why would you say it at all or at least when in the commentatory box?

Tony Grieg telling the West Indies that England will make them 'grovel' - not only is that an offensive comment (especially when Grieg is Soufth African born) but that is really setting you and your team up for a hiding on the pitch. If that wasn't an incentive to the West Indies to thrash them, then nothing was.

Ricky Ponting telling England we will bowl first when you just lost Glenn McGrath.

Any team who likes to bowl first to Australia on a good batting wicket. So what if there is something there for the bowlers early on, it isn't as though you are going to run through the team anyway in that early period and you are only going to have bat on it and be chasing a massive total. And if bowling first is to protect your batsmen then clearly you have no faith in them and have wasted everybody's time in turning up you muppett.

Anymore?

C_C

International Captain
Subhash Gupte, at his peak ( when he was the primier spinner in the world) trotted up to a new batsman who'd just made his intl. debut earlier in the series and said ' you are going to be my bunny'. The said batsman, with dagger in his eyes, scored what was then and for a long time, the highest score in India. His name : Rohan Kanhai.

" It doesnt matter where you come- the score is always zero" - Viv Richards to Sunny Gavaskar, in a test where Gavaskar dropped himself to #4, only to see the score at 0/2 and him out at the wicket. Sunny proceeded to score a double century against none other than the fearsome foursome.

" Hey kid, go drink some milk" ( not sure if its the exact quote- something to similar effect) - Abdul Qadir to a sixteen year old debutant Sachin Tendulkar. Later on he said to Tendulkar 'hit me if you can, kid' , only to see Tendulkar whack him for two sixes and a four.

" Hey Viv, incase you'r wondering, its red, its round and it weighs five ounces" - a county bowler to Viv, after beating the edge a few times. Next ball, Viv proceeded to whack it for a mother-of-all sixes, straight into the parking lot. The response from Viv was " hey-since you know what it looks like, now go find it"

archie mac

International Coach
Nasser Hussain inserting the Aussies during the first Test of the last English tour of Aust. 2-364 at stumps.

Len Hutton did the same thing in the First Test 1954/55 Aust made 8 dec 601 and won by and innings. The only difference was England went on to win the series.

Jack Fingleton walking down the pitch and tapping the ground well in the bowlers half of the wicket(even though the bowler was only going through the motions), to suggest where the ball had pitched. He left the field black and blue. The bowler Mr Larwood.

R_D

International Debutant
Gangully inserting the aussies in the world cup final after winning the Toss.
Ponting had the biggest smile in his face.... can't forget it.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
My favourite was Peter May appointing Chris Cowdrey as England captain against the West Indies in 1988. The guy was a Test cricketer in name only and thankfully he got injured after one Test so we could get Graham Gooch as captain. PS - according to Graham Gooch in his autobiography the remark to Viv Richards was by Greg Thomas and it was in a Test match.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Coming soon - Duncan Fletcher choosing Giles over Panesar for the opening Ashes Test

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Coming soon - Duncan Fletcher choosing Giles over Panesar for the opening Ashes Test
Let's hope not - but I've got a horrible feeling you're right. PS - another toss ****-up - Mike Deness putting Australia in to bat in 1975 when pitches were still uncovered during the hours of play and the forecast for the second day was rain. Australia scored 359 by the second day...England batted for one over, it rained the pitch was uncovered, it stopped raining, Lillee and co. were let loose on a damp pitch and the rest is history. Cost Deness the captaincy and England the series. An absolute classic "what was he thinking of" moment.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The fool that is Glenn McGrath saying that Australia were going to with the '05 Ashes 5-0, and getting beaten.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
PhoenixFire said:
The fool that is Glenn McGrath saying that Australia were going to with the '05 Ashes 5-0, and getting beaten.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Looking back you Aussies did some pretty stupid stuff last year...:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tomm NCCC said:
Took the words right out of my mouth. Looking back you Aussies did some pretty stupid stuff last year...:)
You guys have lost and tied more series in the last year since the Ashes than the Aussies have done in last five years. ;)

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
silentstriker said:
You guys have lost and tied more series in the last year since the Ashes than the Aussies have done in last five years. ;)
Meh, havent lost that many, have we?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
We still beat them in 2005, they didn't manage to beat us.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
As he said last month, what is he supposed to say? 'Yeah, I think we'll lose the series 2-1'?

And if you think he should've just kept his mouth shut, what do you think of Collingwood's 3-0 prediction against Pakistan following the Ashes? How'd that work out?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I can't really remember Strauss looking too foolish when he said that he didn't want to speculate on the outcome.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Collingwood's quote
Paul Collingwood has insisted England can achieve a 3-0 whitewash in the forthcoming Test series in Pakistan. England fly to Pakistan today, and play a warm-up match against a Patron's XI at Rawalpindi on October 31.

"That's our goal,"Collingwood told BBC Sport. "We're looking at things to achieve and going to Pakistan and India we want to win these series. Whether we win them 2-1, 1-0 we're going to be happy to win the series but I certainly think our main goalin Pakistan will be to win 3-0."
McGrath's Quote
"I reckon it will be 5-0 this time, as well,'' he said in the Mail on Sunday. "To say anything else would be negative. If we're going to win 2-1, or 3-2, which games are we going to lose?'' Last time around he said rain would be the only factor that could stop Australia winning all five Tests.

Big difference methinks.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Damien Martyn taking *that* single was pretty stoopid...what was that fielders name again? :D

Dhoni at Mumbai springs to mind in the recent past